The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So I guess I won't beat the record... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5104)

Mr. Pockets 07-27-2002 01:38 PM

So I guess I won't beat the record...

...for longest-living original transmission.

Since it's the weekend, and my SVX is my 'weekend car,' I figured I'd drive it today. I had some work to do today at the office, so I had a good excuse.

I didn't get far before the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts started flaring badly.

So I drove it home, parked it and thanked it for getting me to and from Lafayette safely and without any problems.

I can't afford to fix it right now, so I don't know when I'll be able to drive it again...

CGLathrop 07-27-2002 02:22 PM

Bummer...

Keep us informed on how it goes.. and how much it costs... Maybe it just needs a tranny flush.. I wish you the best of luck ..

Chris

Earthworm 07-27-2002 03:12 PM

Sorry to hear about the tranny. It led a long life.

Looks like you'll have to update your signature now.

Looks like your Justy may be feeling a little neglected. Time to cheer it up. :D

LarryIII 07-27-2002 03:18 PM

Nick,

Sorry to hear of your tranny problem. Good Luck.

Mr. Pockets 07-27-2002 04:22 PM

Re: Bummer...

Quote:

Originally posted by CGLathrop
Keep us informed on how it goes.. and how much it costs... Maybe it just needs a tranny flush.. I wish you the best of luck ..

Chris

If you remember, an ATF flush was what got it to Lafayette and back. But this really seems like the friction material is just gone. I suspect that limping the car home and attempting to diagnose the problem caused damage to already worn parts.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. I'll keep you all posted.

phoenix96 07-27-2002 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Looks like you'll have to update your signature now.

Well, it still hasn't had any major repairs yet right?

Mine is at 117,300 now, tranny still going strong as far as I can tell... Hopefully will be for a long time..

Aredubjay 07-27-2002 06:33 PM

Nick,
You know I can empathize. Keep the ol' chin up. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. When you do get it fixed, you'll be able to have the SVX-perience all over again.

Best of luck (and I'm happy you, at least, made it to Lafayette and back).

deadeye95 07-27-2002 09:19 PM

This tranny failure is no doubt due to our excellent reliability comments several days ago.

I'm gonna just let mine sit in the garage for a while...

benebob 07-27-2002 09:24 PM

It isn't dead yet!!!

What you got there is a perfect tow vehicle! Tow it around on the back of an RV for another 100k and you'll hold the record for life!!!!!!!

wawazat?? 07-28-2002 06:30 AM

Same kinda thing happened to me Nick!

Got home trouble-free, but yesterday my AC died. It's as if our cars knew what had to happen for them to make it to the meet. The meet anti-monster???

Sorry to hear about your trans failure.

Todd

ensteele 07-28-2002 08:49 AM

I washed mine, and I am going to let them set for a while so they can settle down. :) Of course it rained last night and I had not put them back into the garage, so they are all wet again.

I'm sorry to hear about your tranny. At least it got you back home and not left stranded along the way someplace. That might have cost you the price of the repair just to get it back home. :eek: Good luck with the repair. :)

Seraph 07-28-2002 09:20 AM

So, who holds the longest leading original tranny that is going strong?

I have a 92 with 148k that is stronger, smoother than my 94 with a rebuilt.

Lwin

SVXphile 07-28-2002 08:05 PM

Darn

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Nick. :( Many of us must sweat bullets wondering when the dreaded "slipping" will begin. You may recall that my 92 is out of commission too until I raise the cash for some repairs. At least you got to drive yours to the big meet! :)

Like Lwin, I wonder who has the record for original tranny miles?
:confused: Don

mohrds 07-28-2002 08:33 PM

I had a tranny rebuild last 87 miles... does that count???

Doug

Seraph 07-28-2002 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
I had a tranny rebuild last 87 miles... does that count???

Doug

As far as I know, you hold the record for the number of rebuilt trannies in one SVX.

Lwin