The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oh Canada, eh? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8600)

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 10:27 AM

Oh Canada, eh?

On the way to work this morning, I nearly took out a Canada Goose (is this just a "Goose" in Canada?) that had just taken off from a neighborhood pond. I got a great look at the bird as it flew past my windshield at eye level. Luckily it (and I) escaped unscathed.

I took this as an omen to recognize our Canadian members. Yes, I know that we're just one big world melting pot, but, it's nice to get recognition every once in a while, especially since we are mostly U.S. members and, simply, by virtue of numbers, dominate the conversations with things US.

So, hats off to our many Canadian members today. Just wanted you to know that your are greatly appreciated.

awdrocket92 02-04-2003 10:48 AM

Thanks Randy, but would you have been that nice if that goose hit your windshield? LOL.

we have mostly 3 sorts of goose. the snow goose ,the canada gooseand the ...goose!

hope to meet you guys some day

Marty

Landshark 02-04-2003 11:17 AM

Re: Oh Canada, eh?

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
......especially since we are mostly U.S. members and, simply, by virtue of numbers, dominate the conversations with things US.
apparently you missed the lengthy (and intelligent) conversation about the "Strange Brew" movie. :D

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 11:24 AM

Re: Re: Oh Canada, eh?

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

apparently you missed the lengthy (and intelligent) conversation about the "Strange Brew" movie. :D

Five golden toques!

Four pounds of backbacon

three french toasts

two turtle necks

and a . . . . . .

:D

Take off, hoser!

(And, no. I probably wouldn't have been as nice if the Goose had hit the windshield. :D )

Mr. Pockets 02-04-2003 11:28 AM

I had a weird string of bird-related incidents last summer.

On a (rare) twisty MI road, with long grass right up to the pavement, a bird flew out right in front of my SVX. I didn't feel anything, so I figured that the bird was okay. Then I looked in my rear-view and saw the cloud of feathers. :(

That was Saturday. On Monday, I was walking back to the office after picking up a sandwich from Subway. Walking across 5th, a car passed in front of me and a bird swooped down from behind me and smacked right into the door of this car. The guy probably figured that I kicked his car. The bird was very stunned and couldn't even stand, but I wasn't about to pick it up.

On Tuesday, I was telling our office admin about these weird occurances when, <THUMP>, a large bird flew right into the window in front of me.

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

On a (rare) twisty MI road, with long grass right up to the pavement, a bird flew out right in front of my SVX. I didn't feel anything, so I figured that the bird was okay. Then I looked in my rear-view and saw the cloud of feathers. :(

That was Saturday. On Monday, I was walking back to the office after picking up a sandwich from Subway. Walking across 5th, a car passed in front of me and a bird swooped down from behind me and smacked right into the door of this car. The guy probably figured that I kicked his car. The bird was very stunned and couldn't even stand, but I wasn't about to pick it up.

On Tuesday, I was telling our office admin about these weird occurances when, <THUMP>, a large bird flew right into the window in front of me.

Hmmm, shades of Alfred Hitchcock.

Amazingly, I've had experiences involving "flyling things" and "grass," also. :rolleyes: :D

cjoffe 02-04-2003 11:42 AM

I was driving down the road one afternoon (at about 60 mph) when a large crow flew out of a bush and smacked into my winshield. I looked in the mirror just in time to see a car, two cars back from me, swerving all over the road when the thoroughly busted and bent bird thumped down on his hood and stuck there.

CJ

Mr. Pockets 02-04-2003 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cjoffe
I was driving down the road one afternoon (at about 60 mph) when a large crow flew out of a bush and smacked into my winshield. I looked in the mirror just in time to see a car, two cars back from me, swerving all over the road when the thoroughly busted and bent bird thumped down on his hood and stuck there.

CJ

Man, did that one make me laugh. Then I went back, read it again, and noticed that you said 'crow' and not 'cow.'

It's just as funny, and more believable, anyway. :D

immortal_suby 02-04-2003 12:40 PM

Since this is way OT anyway - Nick, did you see the new rolling stone #916- there's a big article in there on game programmers and the digipen institute.

Mr. Pockets 02-04-2003 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
Since this is way OT anyway - Nick, did you see the new rolling stone #916- there's a big article in there on game programmers and the digipen institute.
I haven't seen it, no. Should I go pick it up? Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)

immortal_suby 02-04-2003 01:04 PM

I checked the website and they dont have it online - it was a cool article (but thats from someone who isnt actually a programmer) Maybe just read it in the supermarket line - I'd hate to see you drop $4 on that magazine at newstand prices since the majority of it is crap.

Alcyone SVX LSL 02-04-2003 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Amazingly, I've had experiences involving "flyling things" and "grass," also. :rolleyes: :D
Humm sounds like someone was a bad boy:D

Mr. Pockets 02-04-2003 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I checked the website and they dont have it online - it was a cool article (but thats from someone who isnt actually a programmer) Maybe just read it in the supermarket line - I'd hate to see you drop $4 on that magazine at newstand prices since the majority of it is crap.
I'm not a programmer, either. But, I bet if it's in Rolling Stone, it wouldn't go too far over my head. ;)

There has been an increasing amount of coverage in the media about our industry. Hopefully it doesn't get too revealing - most of us are not camera-friendly. :D

Aredubjay 02-04-2003 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MT maniac

Humm sounds like someone was a bad boy:D

That was YEARS ago. :D

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'd like to refresh the thread to its original purpose and, once again, pay homage to our Canadian members. Many thanks.

I certainly hope I'm not reminded in like manner to recognize members from other countries. I would know, beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was an omen if I had to dodge a Kangaroo or a Kiwi in Kentucky. :D:D:D

Noir 02-04-2003 03:08 PM

re: canucks

yeah, canucks rock :D

On a (rare) twisty MI road, with long grass right up to the pavement, a bird flew out right in front of my SVX. I didn't feel anything, so I figured that the bird was okay. Then I looked in my rear-view and saw the cloud of feathers.

looks like pockets is being stalked by "birds". always wondered where the movie came from.