The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   spark plug replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45059)

Jason Olson 06-08-2008 03:56 PM

spark plug replacement

how do the spark plugs come out? i was told the engine needed to be shifted over so i removed the engine mount bolts and atempted to raise the engine but the engine lifts a little and the car begins to lift? i just want to replace the spark plugs wtf thanks much

ensteele 06-08-2008 05:06 PM

I would go into the How-To Documents and you can find instructions on how to replace them. Good luck. :)

Jason Olson 06-08-2008 05:18 PM

thanks that makes sense

Manarius 06-08-2008 05:48 PM

No shifting of the engine is necessary. Just small and steady hands and fingers.

ensteele 06-08-2008 06:31 PM

I was just walking out the door and didn't have time to send you the link. Here is the link to the file. :)

Jason Olson 06-08-2008 07:01 PM

thanks much

i was very discoraged and tunnel visioned about this job for a subaaru mechanic told me the engine would need to be shifted! thanks a ton

Wikedjuggalo 06-08-2008 07:24 PM

Meah unless they have had hand on experience with the SVX don't listen IMO. Its not a hard job but take your time and do it right! only hard ones are the 2 back ones on the driver side. Maybe the one on the pass but I don't have ABS in my way :P

ensteele 06-08-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Olson (Post 551195)
i was very discoraged and tunnel visioned about this job for a subaaru mechanic told me the engine would need to be shifted! thanks a ton

Some members here have done this job more than some of the mechanics out there. :o

dennyo 06-09-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

I would find another tech. It's a 40 min. job if your handy a little longer if your not.Good luck with the car.

kwren 06-09-2008 08:06 PM

He might think it is easier...

Quote:

to raise 0ne side at a time. Probably talking "book" hourly time charges

Keith:(

Jason Olson 06-10-2008 01:40 PM

job done

the plugs are in!! the job went very smoothley now its time for trans cooler thanks for your wisdom everyone

Bat'Qul 06-16-2008 12:00 AM

Re: spark plug replacement

Hey everyone.. Im gonig to do my plugs too...Ill follow the directions in the link on the steps...but i was planning on doing the valve cover gaskets too..but i was told by 3 mechanics thayt i need to pull the engine out.. it would cost me 1200 for them to do my plugs and the vavle cover gaskets--
Going to attempt my self..

I really dont think i should have to pull the engine out,t but what do you all think? Anyone else do the vavle covers before?

odepaj 06-17-2008 11:29 AM

Re: spark plug replacement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat'Qul (Post 552154)
Hey everyone.. Im gonig to do my plugs too...Ill follow the directions in the link on the steps...but i was planning on doing the valve cover gaskets too..but i was told by 3 mechanics thayt i need to pull the engine out.. it would cost me 1200 for them to do my plugs and the vavle cover gaskets--
Going to attempt my self..

I really dont think i should have to pull the engine out,t but what do you all think? Anyone else do the vavle covers before?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=valve+covers

You can do it all with the engine still mounted in the car.

Dustin