The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power steering, EGR, idiot mechanic? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24218)

ThetaReactor 02-01-2005 09:40 PM

Power steering, EGR, idiot mechanic?

Got my car back this morning. New engine installed. Well, not exactly new. Used, about 22,000 miles. Might as well be new.

Anyhow...

Power steering light is on. The guy says he noticed it after the engine swap, thought it might be the pump that came with the engine. So he puts my old one back on. Still does it. He tells me he thinks it's the rack. The rack was fine before. Hell, the old pump was a bit leaky, and it still worked just fine.

So I get it home, pop the cap. Fluid's pink, and appears to be at the right level. Maybe a bit high. Looks like it burped all over the top of the pump at some point, too. I get someone to watch to see if anything happens, jump in the car and turn it lock-to-lock a few times, thinking maybe there's air in the system. No dice. The light's still on, and the steering is quite heavy. I can't see any obvious leaks, but I'll check the driveway in the morning.

So. Any ideas? Should I try pulling the return hose and flushing a couple quarts of ATF through it?

The Check Engine light is on, too. The guy says that's probably because the PS is borked. Yeah, whatever. I pulled the code, got #34, EGR solenoid. Figured it might be a fluke, clear the codes, and it comes right back. Again, this worked fine before the engine seized. My guess is he forgot to plug something in. It does seem to be idling a bit rough, so I'm inclined to believe the ECU's correct.

I asked the 'rents to call the guy, since I had to go to work. Of course, they're both asleep when I get home.

I'll definitely be talking to the guy, and this will get fixed.

:rolleyes:

svx_commuter 02-02-2005 07:57 AM

If that is an LS-L then there is a wire connector to the top of rack control valve on the driver side under the steering shafts. It is very hard to see. Might not be connected. There may also be a broken wire for the PS pump connection.

How much did you pay for the engine replacement?

ThetaReactor 02-02-2005 10:01 AM

$1800 in parts, $800 labor.

EddieSVX 02-02-2005 10:26 AM

Power steering light? Do you mean the POWER light?

If so, isn't that a transmission issue (TCU)?

Earthworm 02-02-2005 01:37 PM

I also think it's the electrical plug on the power steering rack.

EddieSVX - the power steering codes are reported through the power steering light.

oab_au 02-02-2005 06:02 PM

Do you know that caused the engine to seize in the first place?

Harvey.;)

ThetaReactor 02-03-2005 09:52 PM

Not absolutely sure what caused the lock-up.

Anyhow, I fixed the steering. Shined a flashlight down the side of the engine, and there's a plug dangling. Quick snap into the other end and all is well.

EGR's still screwed up. I'll poke around and see if I can fix that. If not, I'll take it back and get the mechanic to do it. At least it's nothing too crucial.

Thanks for the help.