The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I can't belive I broke a timing belt!!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44964)

prtsguy 06-01-2008 10:25 PM

I can't belive I broke a timing belt!!!!

How much trouble am I in? When I tore it down I found ALL of the idler pulleys had seized and/or lost all of the ball bearings. I'm a former auto machinist and can do the valves if I need to but I'm not really looking forward to going that deep into the engine.sooo....... my question is are they notorious for bending valves?
as a footnote, I do perform my maintanance and such but the car had set for three years before I bought it and had low miles on a dealer installed engine. Don't think bad of me, please. It's just slipped by me.
It's a '94 awd with the 3.0

Tim 06-01-2008 10:31 PM

The EG33 is non-interference. You're fine. :)

lhopp77 06-01-2008 10:33 PM

No Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by prtsguy (Post 550080)
How much trouble am I in? When I tore it down I found ALL of the idler pulleys had seized and/or lost all of the ball bearings. I'm a former auto machinist and can do the valves if I need to but I'm not really looking forward to going that deep into the engine.sooo....... my question is are they notorious for bending valves?
as a footnote, I do perform my maintanance and such but the car had set for three years before I bought it and had low miles on a dealer installed engine. Don't think bad of me, please. It's just slipped by me.
It's a '94 awd with the 3.0

There is not problem with engine damage on timing belt breakage on this engine. There is no problems with valve clearance. So, all you should really need is one of the timing belt kits they sell on Ebay that includes the timing belt and the idler pulleys. It might be a good idea to replace the water pump also, if the car has a significant number of miles on it as it is easily accessible when replacing the timing belt.

My daughter with no mechanic experience did her timing belt with a set of manuals and some telephone instructions, so it should not be a problem for a mechanic.

Lee

zukiru 06-01-2008 10:52 PM

^^that sounds like a challenge to me! ;)

huck369 06-02-2008 11:11 AM

Check the water pump too.....

crazyhorse 06-02-2008 02:02 PM

For the $50-75 that a waterpump costs, and the PITA it is to get to, it makes sense to me to slap one on while you're in there.

Mike621 06-02-2008 02:14 PM

Definitely do the water pump while you are in there for preventative maintenance. ;)

Crazy_pilot 06-04-2008 07:27 PM

That's rought, timing belts are pretty strong. I used one to lift a complete EJ25 with 4EAT attached today...

It's Just Eric 06-04-2008 08:55 PM

Hmm...all the idlers seized up..Thatll ruin a belt easy.

luckily, the eg33 is a non interference engine. Your valves are fine. Just order up the idlers, belt, and water pump.There is a kit available on ebay with all of theese components that we have used with great sucess .you may want to look into getting a front main seal and lower cam seals as well, since everything wil be apart anyway, replacing these isnt a bad idea, as they often leak at this age.