The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   TIRE Wear ??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16900)

James Scott 03-02-2004 05:45 PM

TIRE Wear ???

How many miles should I get on a YOKOHAMA AVS db 225 50 16. I've been getting maybe 25,000 if I'm lucky!

How about the Hankook Ventus 102 someone suggested at size 245 45 16 that I'd like to try?

:confused:

Ron Mummert 03-02-2004 09:13 PM

I have about 28K on mine, & it looks like I'll be able squeeze another 8-10K from 'em before they become racing slicks. For the last year I've been running about 4 lbs over recommended pressure.

Ron.

svx_commuter 03-03-2004 05:28 AM

Hi Scott :) I wore out a set early because I ran the tire pressure too low. Should have been using 38/34 f/r.

mark10t 03-03-2004 09:34 AM

Ouch!

I was seriously considering the Yoko AVS dB's to replace my worn out summer 'shoes' shortly, but if they are only good for 25-30,000 mi's. , that's a little too 'early wearing' for my taste. I usually like to see about 40-50,000 mi's on a set of tires.

I was primarily looking towards the dB's because of the favorable comments and extra-low noise I've heard about them. Early wear is a serious strike against them if it's true.

My alternates would be another set of Nitto NT450's or the Toyo Prox's, or ??

Any further feedback?

-Mark

petesvx2 03-03-2004 11:43 PM

I have about 20k on my Cooper Cobra GTH's, and I still have alot of tread left on them.

UberRoo 03-04-2004 02:56 AM

Wow. You guys get a lot of miles out of your tires. Traction is inversely proportional to tread life. I'm a big fan of traction - can never get enough. I haven't put many miles on my SVX, but I only get 10k on my Honda tires before they're due. That's about a set per year for me.

If your tires don't last long, I wouldn't complain. Unless it was an alignment or pressure problem, they were probably very sticky miles...sticky, and safe. Traction is probably the most important safety feature as well as performance improvement. (I think I mentioned in another post that my wet-braking with my Michelin Pilots is equal to my dry-braking with my old Toyos.)

I'm budgeting a LOT of money for SVX tires. Stay away from those cheap-o, no name, junk tires. If it's a brand that sponsors a major racing circuit, or a brand that comes on a car from the factory, they're probably good tires because they have a name to protect. I had a set of brand new Les Schwab Toyos that came with a used car. One had a tread separation at just over 1000 miles and was replaced by my factory spare (Goodyear, I think.) The other tire literally exploded a month later while sitting in a parking lot on a near-100 degree day. There was some sort of separation in the inner sidewall and it exploded through the tread. I drove it home on the first bad tire and threw all five of them away. That bad tire could have caused any number of untold troubles - stranded me, an accident, or even killed me - had I been driving at the time it gave out. Needless to say, I loathe cheap tires and I especially detest/distrust Toyos.

Now I expect to hear all sorts of stuff about wrong tire pressure, or it was just a bad batch of tires, or maybe it was slashed, or I drove over something. Well yes, those are all possible, but I've never had a problem with any other tire I've owned. One problem is one too many.

James Scott 03-04-2004 03:04 PM

HANKOOKs

Someone told me Hankook Ventus 102's (I believe) were good!
They make 245 45 16, a size I want to try.

WHADAY'ALLTHINK? :confused: