The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Mountain Bikes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16357)

Mr. Pockets 02-11-2004 05:01 PM

Mountain Bikes

My brother is looking for a good bike in the $1,000 range. I'm trying to help him out, and I have some suggestions, but I'm a little conflicted concerning my recommendations.

The reason I'm conflicted is the apparent drop in quality of components, and the further mixing of component lines. I'm seeing base Deore levers (and even lower-end bottom brackets) mixed with XT rear derailleurs. And I knw the base Deore crap is just that - crap. It's sloppy. It's weak. It doesn't shift consistently on a flat surface, much less grinding uphill.

I have a mix of LX and XT parts on my bike from the late '90s. Most of it has been ridden - and I mean really ridden - for 8 seasons. It worked flawlessly until late last season, when it all seemed to hit a wall and start breaking. I just don't see that sort of quality any more and that bothers me.

I know some of you are bikers, and I wanted your opinions on bikes in my brother's price range. I'm looking at Rockhopper / Stumpjumper models from Specialized and the F400 and F600 from Cannondale. I've been happy with both of those brands, but I know he'll get better components for his money from Specialized.

Trek is unacceptable, so don't even say it. Their ultra-expensive models are very nice, but anything in their line for less than $1,500 is total garbage.

benebob 02-11-2004 06:28 PM

Personally, I'd recommend a Stumpjumper. Out of the box it is a very nice bike. I have about a 1/3 of one sitting in the basement that I totalled about 5 years ago. She gave me maybe 5 years of trouble free abuse and was only killed off when I crunched her into a tree at about 35mph. I no longer have the health insurance to allow me to ride.:(

I have a Hard Rock that I picked up as well. Was a $300 bike maybe 10 years ago. It too has been fairly touble free considering the cheap parts that make it up.

mbtoloczko 02-11-2004 06:57 PM

Does he want a full-suspension bike or a hardtail?

As for components, I wouldn't worry too much about the mixing. Everyone does it. Make sure that the chainrings are Shimano brand. Their rings work the best.

NapaBavarian 02-11-2004 07:43 PM

I had a Rockhopper untill it was stolen, then I got a Stumpjumper, loved them both, very solid and precise and reliable.

Breck SVX 02-11-2004 08:06 PM

Is your brother looking for something new, used or something to build up? A friend of mine had a stumpjumper M4 comp and had some issues with the rear dropouts and the wheel falling out while she was riding. She ended up getting reimbursed and getting something else(however this was a pretty rare issue). If hes gonna build it up or get a used bike a schwinn homegrown built up nicely would be pretty damn sweet...or some sort of used bike with a ti frame like this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=27947

would be excelent, the frame could last a good 10 years w/ hard riding.

glide 02-11-2004 08:55 PM

road bike

I have yet to cross into the MT. bike stage, I am still stuck on my road bike and I love it. I have a specialized, and I think I always will. A very good, solid bike from a respectable company. I reccomend anything by them.

SubaSteevo 02-11-2004 09:11 PM

Re: Mountain Bikes

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Trek is unacceptable, so don't even say it. Their ultra-expensive models are very nice, but anything in their line for less than $1,500 is total garbage.

:( My bike is a $250 Trek, it must be the garbage that even the other garbage doesn't talk to.

Really though, I don't understand paying more for a bike than some people spend on their cars :rolleyes:

Shadow248 02-11-2004 10:02 PM

It's a bug of sorts...I caught it last summer. A buddy of mine is a downhill racer and has been bugging me for years to get into the sport. I built my first real bike this fall...got a Specialized FSR XC frame (same as the stumpy), and all XT components. I've had tons of fun with it. I highly recommend the stumpjumper or FSR XC. Absolutely top-of-the-line bikes at middle ground prices.

Also, outside of this thread, i've yet to hear of anyone with any real complaints about Deore components. My girlfriend's bike has them and she has had no problems, and I know several guys who have deore components and are very happy with them. In my experience, anything Deore or better is what you want.

CGLathrop 02-11-2004 10:43 PM

MT Biking Rocks!

I have been Mt. biking for about 10 years now. I would say to get LX components. Xt is nice (More expensive and usually a little bit lighter) but XTR is just too expensive. I put on about 2000 miles a year and have no problems with the LX stuff. The type of riding I do is basically cross country type stuff. I dont do much of the jumps or stunts. I keep both wheels on the ground. I will do a little downhill type stuff, but only after I have rode up the hill. In the years I have been riding I have broken a chain twice, 1 spoke, and taco'd a wheel when I hit a fence.

As for the type of bike. Well.. My first bike was a Schwinn (Steel Frame). But then I bought a Litespeed Titanium bike back in 96 (hard tail, Rock shok front suspension) and it is probably the last bike I will buy. Ti is a really great! If you can find a used Ti bike I would suggest trying to go with that. Of course, you can only buy what you can afford.

Good luck.
Chris