The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   REAR BEARING.......yikes! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23354)

James Scott 12-21-2004 06:32 PM

REAR BEARING.......yikes!

1 Attachment(s)
I told you it was getting worse....quickly...

Check this out! :eek: .....

Beav 12-21-2004 08:38 PM

It's like trying to drive a nail with the hammer sitting on the nailhead. Not much happens until a little clearance occurs and allows some 'swing' room, when that happens the nail starts moving quickly.

Looks like lube failure, what condition were the seals in? Oops - strike that, they had to be destroyed after that much heat and motion.

James Scott 12-22-2004 01:45 AM

Why did you have to mention that, Beav!

Why did you have to remind me.....(that I forgot to order the seals with the bearings.....and didn't notice til I had the hub out!)

ALRIGHT!...YES!....I REPLACED THE OLD SEALS!.........now are you happy.....go ahead and YELL AT ME! (SENILE OLD FART, etc.)

Well, they looked OK....and I baby'd them out ....but,of course, they must be damaged (not like we both thot tho!)...

I used Redline red high-temp grease.....maybe I didn't get a good thorough press of grease....or maybe the degreaser I used to get the shipping grease off last time (water-based) interfered with the new grease at that time...?

BUT...this bearing worked fine for about two years ....then suddenly (and rapidly, as you can see) degraded starting about September this year... :confused:

SOUNDS LIKE A NEW CAR NOW! :D

SilverSpear 12-22-2004 02:03 AM

guys, a curious (and for some stupid) question, how you know your bearings need replacement? does it show any physical symptoms? a certain sound? ... help ?

James Scott 12-22-2004 02:42 AM

sound?

A GROWLING SOUND....usually from the rear bearings...

Mine started sounding like a tank badly in need of repair...

You need a ($200) HubTamer tool if you do it yourself.

:D

SilverSpear 12-22-2004 03:55 AM

Re: sound?

Quote:

Originally posted by James Scott
A GROWLING SOUND....usually from the rear bearings...

Mine started sounding like a tank badly in need of repair...

You need a ($200) HubTamer tool if you do it yourself.

mine is doing a little sound same as a rusty door (or like you see in the movies, the carriage which has one unaligned metal wheel making a rusty sound).....something

n00b on demand 12-22-2004 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SilverSpear
guys, a curious (and for some stupid) question, how you know your bearings need replacement? does it show any physical symptoms? a certain sound? ... help ?
Its always described as a loud roar from the back of the car which gets louder as the bearings get worse.

SilverSpear 12-22-2004 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by soobiesvx93

Its always described as a loud roar from the back of the car which gets louder as the bearings get worse.

mmm, I guess it needs a closer look...

SVXRide 12-22-2004 10:26 AM

It can also sound like you've got snow tires on the back....
Best way to be sure is to get the car up on a rack and use a stethescope to listen to the bearings - this way you'll know which one is actually making the noise.
-Bill

SVX10 12-22-2004 02:25 PM

awww crap...I made the snow tire comparison last night but now you get credit for it :mad: :p I accidentally posted it in the thread about steel braided brake lines. Whoops! :D Anyway...I think that's the best comparison...a bad wheel bearing sounds like you've got some knobby 44" tires off a big ol' truck. One day it will just be a fait roar, but as time passes it will get louder and louder. It should also sound louder in the cabin if you put the rear seat down. Finally, from my experience, it's louder at certain speeds than others, and really gets loud at <10mph under braking.

curlykicker 12-22-2004 11:42 PM

Does anyone in California know where I could rent a Hubtamer? Does Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or any other big chain rent one? If not an auto parts place, is there a chain machine rental place that rents one? (I'm in Orange County, if anyone knows of a specific place here.)

James Scott 12-23-2004 01:19 AM

RENT HubTamer.....?

Wish you were closer.....I'd be glad to let you borrow mine.....I use it once every 2 or 3 years! BUT...Fresno is too far away.....and this thing is HEAVY!....TOO HEAVY TO SHIP!

Hopefully, someone from the network will pop up down there in the L.A. area....? :confused:

Good Luck! :D

P.S. I didn't find anyone renting here....that's why I bought... off eBay...

rob_4187 12-30-2004 09:50 AM

I recently started hearing a clicking noise in my wheels and just as i thought, it was the wheel bearings. The shop wants $600 to do it but my dad insists that its easy to do and i can get the parts for about $60, but he is in North Carolina right now. How hard is it to do by yourself (given you have all the right tools)?

dcarrb 12-30-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rob_4187
How hard is it to do by yourself (given you have all the right tools)?
That depends on how accomplished a mechanic you are. It's probably not something you'd want to tackle unless you know what you're doing. Do a search; there's probably enough material here on wheel bearing replacement to keep you reading for days.

dcb

James Scott 12-31-2004 02:11 AM

NOT too Hard!.....

I'm a "shade-tree mechanic".....I pick others brains, then do (basically) what they convince me is best.....I'm very mechanically inclined...But, a little (more like ALOT) like the "absent-minded professor......SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo.....

I'd say .....medium difficulty....BUT...like anything...First time's alot tougher than 2nd or 3rd times......

For example, I believe the HubTamer says to press out outer bearing race from upright...toward the center of the car....? ....BUT....in fact....IT NEEDS TO BE PRESSED OUT TOWARD THE WHEEL SIDE OF THE UPRIGHT [IN THE DIRECTION OF THE BEARING SNAP RING RETAINER].... This might be a no brainer for most.....but I'm the type that might do what the directions indicated....AND RUIN THE UPRIGHT...OR?]