The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Return of the SVX rear bearing (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15853)

red95svx 01-22-2004 07:16 AM

Return of the SVX rear bearing

I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but the STI uses the same rear wheel bearing that the SVX uses. That's really good, because up until now the SVX was the only Subaru to use that bearing. Now it has a new lease on life and should continue to be available for many years to come!

Dave

CigarJohnny 01-22-2004 07:44 AM

That's always good news. Perhaps one day they will resurrect the SVX assembly line as a new Legacy Coupe model and all our parts will be in strong supply! :D

-Johnny (always dreamin')

mbtoloczko 01-22-2004 10:54 AM

Re: Return of the SVX rear bearing

Quote:

Originally posted by red95svx
I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but the STI uses the same rear wheel bearing that the SVX uses.

The '04 USDM STi uses the same rear wheel bearing as the SVX? Can you show me that they have the same part number?

red95svx 01-22-2004 02:02 PM

You don't believe?

Dave

red95svx 01-22-2004 02:09 PM

I can fax you a copy of the parts lists..........or I guess I could scan it at home and post it here.

Dave

mbtoloczko 01-22-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by red95svx
You don't believe?

Dave

Let's just say that I'm hesitant to believe without some solid proof. :-) This type of thread has popped up here before only with the final conclusion that Subaru is not using the bearing in any other car. It would be nice to see a sheet showing that the STi rear wheel bearing part number is the same as that for the SVX.

Bobb 01-22-2004 04:47 PM

Bearings

Hi everyone, I feel sorry for the STI owners, when their bearings start going out. sigh Take care, BOBB

red95svx 01-22-2004 06:29 PM

the files you requested

Ok, the scans have been added to my locker (SVXbearing and STIbearing). They are a little confusing at first. The model is in the lower left corner, and the production date, sub-model and part number are highlighted (the sub-model for the Impreza is STI, the sub-model for the SVX is 2C, short for two-door coupe).

Now, some of you might ask why the production dates for the SVX don't go back to 1992.....the answer is that on the computer at work the SVX is split into two sections:1992-1993, and 1994-1997. I chose the 1994-1997 section when I printed the screen. The part number is the same back to 1992.

enjoy!

Dave

mbtoloczko 01-22-2004 06:51 PM

Wow. Amazing. Thanks! You know, this means that either this really isn't a poor bearing, or Subaru is totally off their rocker.

Would the STi grease seals also happen to have the same part number?

red95svx 01-22-2004 07:31 PM

Yes, the seals are the same. There are several Subarus that use those seals actually.

Dave

DWayne2910 01-22-2004 07:45 PM

Dave:

Interesting...if they use the same bearing in the STI, I wonder how the mounts/carriers and stress loads compare between the SVX and STI. Since the STI has rallye performance running gear, either those bearings have been upgraded since the SVX, or they are somehow under much lighter loads in the STI.

Otherwise, there'll be a bunch of screaming STI owners at the service desks!

Ron Mummert 01-22-2004 08:07 PM

Do they still come packed in Moldavian K-Y jelly?

Ron.

Landshark 01-22-2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DWayne2910
Dave:

Interesting...if they use the same bearing in the STI, I wonder how the mounts/carriers and stress loads compare between the SVX and STI. Since the STI has rallye performance running gear, either those bearings have been upgraded since the SVX, or they are somehow under much lighter loads in the STI.

Otherwise, there'll be a bunch of screaming STI owners at the service desks!

the STi is a bit lighter than the SVX.

Hangtownsvx 01-23-2004 01:28 PM

Long ago, my rocket engine turbo pump bearing engineer said the bearings looked plenty adequate. My bearing problems disappeared when the dealer insisted on repacing the rear locating arms with the 3rd or 4th set of bearings. It doesn't make sense to me, but there you go.

mbtoloczko 01-23-2004 02:13 PM

A few other people have also reported that replacing the arm solves the problem, so there must be something to it.