The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine fan ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14837)

JoesSVX 12-04-2003 08:58 AM

Engine fan ?

When I turn my key ON in the morning, before I start, I've noticed the right engine fan running, and it's 25 degrees out!
The way I read the manual, (Section 2-7, page 22) with the A/C off, no vehicle speed and water temp below192 degrees - the fans should both be off.
I'd like to hear from a couple of you whether you get fan operation just prior to cold start. I am suspecting a temperature sensor problem. Thanks!

svx_commuter 12-04-2003 10:24 AM

No. My fans are off when the engine is cold unless the climate control auto switch is on and it's hotter in the SVX than the temperature setting on the climate control.

sleepem 12-04-2003 11:17 PM

fans running

I had fans running on hi pretty much all the time until water temp sensor was replaced, now they have several speed and are even off a lot!

Rob

JoesSVX 12-05-2003 08:40 AM

A third input before I accept this as Gospel and buy a temp sensor?

Earthworm 12-05-2003 04:16 PM

Does your check engine light ever come on? If so get the temp sensor. If not...get the temp sensor anyway...especially if it's never been changed yet.

JoesSVX 12-05-2003 11:11 PM

Yes, the check engine light comes on, but the only code is 33, for the Speed Sensor 2. (Replaced that $en$or, but the problem is internal. Not looking forward to pulling transmission to replace the drive unit.)
Temp sensor has never been replaced. I removed it and checked resistance against a new one at the dealer and it matched at room temperature. Must be intermittent. Oh well, at least that one's not so expen$ive.
Thanks!

Subafreak 12-07-2003 06:50 AM

Doesn't the cooling fan come on if the DEF is on? I don't drive my SVX in the snow so it's ussually never really cold and and I never have to have the DEF on when it is cold, but yesterday when I went out to clean the snow off the cars, I started the Legacy and put on the DEF and the fan was running. All this assuming you had your DEF on, it not then, Oh well.

BTW the Speed sensor 2 is the one right on the top side of the tranny (where the speedo cable would go if it was a Legacy Tranny) It is easy to change but probly not cheap. Unless the drive gears are stripped on the diff, if so then, Oh well.

JoesSVX 12-07-2003 12:08 PM

I replaced the sensor, and yes, it was not difficult. The problem is internal, apparently. I guess this is not an uncommon problem with these cars.

Earthworm 12-11-2003 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Doesn't the cooling fan come on if the DEF is on?
I believe it does...something to do with the A/C.

njboys808 12-22-2003 10:23 PM

Exact same problem here

A few months my engine light lit up and my speedo stopped working. Soon after I noticed that my fan kicks in as soon as I turn the ignition on. Any ideas what these 2 have in common?

JoesSVX 12-22-2003 11:44 PM

Mine does the same thing, though not every time I turn the ignition on. I'm sure your CE light is for code 33: Vehicle Speed Sensor 2.
You may also get transmission code 33 as well.

I do know that the radiator fan control looks at vehicle speed, as well as water temperature and A/C when determining whether to power the fan(s), and at what speed. I can only assume the Engine Control Unit is in a default mode, though I don't know why it would default to the vehicle being at speed and the engine at temp when first turing on the ignition.:confused: