The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Reading XII Dates Poll (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54144)

svxcess 04-18-2010 10:30 PM

Reading XII Dates Poll

Based on the weather this past weekend and suggestions from various members, I want to entertain the thought of moving Reading to about a month later in the year.

Reading started in Morgantown on the first weekend of April 1999 and was moved to its current 3rd week in April to allow for better weather.

We moved it to the Denver/Lancaster Holiday Inn for a couple of years before returning to its "original" location.

Although the tradition and purpose of Reading has remained basically the same in terms of dates and location, I am proposing the following and having a poll for feedback.

The idea would be to move the dates of Reading into the month of May, between Mother's Day and Memorial Day.

Still close enough to have the same Reading feel of Spring, but with warmer weather.

June brings it own problems with kids being out of school, vacations, hotel availability and other factors. It could also be considered as an option.

Let's open this for discussion and input before we have to get a Rooms Contract with the hotel. There is another hotel that is interested in our business, The Inn at Chester Springs, (about 17 miles further east on I-76) but it just doesn't seem to have that same familiar and comfortable Reading "feel".

The Morgantown Hotel staff and management have continiually been most accommodating in making our meets run smoothly and have given us a lot of latitude that they would not extend to other groups. They have "looked the other way" on many occasions so as not to infringe on our fun.

I especially value the input for the members who have repeatedly experienced Reading over the years, as well as new members who have great ideas as well. Let's strive to make this landmark meet better and better and renew the enthusiasm to its formal glory. In this poll you have the option of choosing more than one date

Green1995SVX 04-18-2010 11:00 PM

Re: Reading XIII Dates Poll

I voted to keep the meet in April in keeping with the spirit of the original reading meet. I also don't think we should change the venue. The Morgantown Holiday Inn has been amazing with their accommodations.

Freeman 04-18-2010 11:07 PM

Accommodations aside, what hotel charges $8.50 for breakfast?

The location is awesome, being so close to the highway but still kind of feels out of the way. Although being at other hotels locally and much further away. I've come to the conclusion that our choice hotel is independently owned. The televisions are outdated as well as a few other things.. Time to upgrade, it's 2010 after all.

Green1995SVX 04-18-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 643367)

The location is awesome, being so close to the highway but still kind of feels out of the way. Although being at other hotels locally and much further away. I've come to the conclusion that our choice hotel is independently owned. The televisions are outdated as well as a few other things.. Time to upgrade, it's 2010 after all.

You may not be aware, but full-service hotels rarely offer a free breakfast. I'm not sure what planet you're on, but $8.50 is cheap for a meal.

Just sayin.

ensteele 04-18-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 643369)
You may not be aware, but full-service hotels rarely offer a free breakfast. I'm not sure what planet you're on, but $8.50 is cheap for a meal.

Just sayin.

+1 :) :) :) :)

Tim 04-19-2010 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 643367)

Who watches tv at Reading? Watching tv past midnight yelds some messed up shows: Tom, Eric and the Nates can chime in here.

TomsSVX 04-19-2010 04:53 AM

dude... first time the TV really freaked me out:eek:

Tom

LetItSnow 04-19-2010 05:37 AM

I'd rather not move forward into summer - you start getting into autocross, travel, and those damned weddings. :lol:

That $8.50 breakfast was also called a buffet... As much as you want of pretty much whatever you want is a good deal!

I like where we are and when we are.

svxed 04-19-2010 07:27 AM

I think the timing of the meet would be best around the first week in May. I have resided in the area for many years. I do not recall the exact dates of previous Morgantown meets but did express how fortunate we were in regard to the weather. April is a more dramatic transition month (and consequently unpredictable) than May. I would be happy to visit The Inn at Chester Springs to research accommodations. I agree that it just doesn't seem to have that same familiar and comfortable Reading "feel". Rte 100 has much more traffic and I doubt that it is actually "Chester Springs". I don't think a rally would be as enjoyable there.

green_eyed_lady 04-19-2010 08:30 AM

I did not vote, because none of the options were exactly what I wanted. Since Easter falls on April 24th next year, how about we try moving it to the last weekend that still begins in April, i.e., the 29th & 30th of April spilling over to the first of May? It may just be late enough in the month to be slightly warmer, yet still hold true to tradition, since MOST of it will be in April? If that doesn't work, the period between Mother's Day and Memorial day is my second choice, even though it's not in April. As I mentioned on Facebook, it's a good thing Ben Rowley's original plan got delayed or we'd be having these meets in March! (The original planned date was March 5th, I believe.)

Just my 2¢....;)

green_eyed_lady 04-19-2010 08:40 AM

Re: Reading XIII(?) Dates Poll

P.S. John, doesn't XII traditionally follow XI? I was assuming you were referring to the 2011 event? (The thread title says XIII...)

benebob 04-19-2010 09:50 AM

The 3rd week of May is the Carlisle Fairgrounds anual Import and Kit show. I'd suspect a few would go there rather than Reading. It would be great to see 50 or so SVXi at the Carlisle show though. Problem with there is that all the hotels get booked and the Winebago wouldn't be welcome on the show field.:D

Wikedjuggalo 04-19-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 643391)
Who watches tv at Reading? Watching tv past midnight yelds some messed up shows: Tom, Eric and the Nates can chime in here.

I still don't know what the hell that was :confused::confused::tard::tard:

svxed 04-19-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady (Post 643406)
I did not vote, because none of the options were exactly what I wanted. Since Easter falls on April 24th next year, how about we try moving it to the last weekend that still begins in April, i.e., the 29th & 30th of April spilling over to the first of May? It may just be late enough in the month to be slightly warmer, yet still hold true to tradition, since MOST of it will be in April?
Just my 2¢....;)

+1 Please make this an option.

svxcess 04-19-2010 02:39 PM

Mother's day is always the second Sunday in May. Memorial day is always the last Monday in May.

Here are the dates of Mother's Day and Memorial Day in May by year in blue.

The dates in red are the possible Reading dates.

May 8 Mother's Day
May 13-15 Reading?
May 20-22 Reading?
May 30 Memorial Day

May 4-6 Reading?
May 13 Mother's Day
May 18-20 Reading?
May 28 Memorial Day

May 3-5 Reading?
May 12 Mother's Day
May 17-19 Reading?
May 27 Memorial Day

May 2-4 Reading?
May 11 Mother's Day
May 16-18 Reading?
May 26 Memorial Day

The only consistency seems to be the third weekend in May.

Unless you are crazy enough to want to add Reading to the Memorial Day weekend and extend your experience by encountering all of the crazies on the roads.