The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best way to transport dead SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35786)

Sean486 10-24-2006 07:00 AM

Best way to transport dead SVX?

I was just wondering what the best way is to move a SVX with a dead transmission if you don't have a suitable towing vehicle. What I mean is how are people moving around all these SVX with bad trannys. Can you rent a truck and trailer? Can a rollback be hired to move it if you want to go like 100 miles. Obviously with enough money you can do anything, but what is best way to do it on the cheap?

mikecg 10-24-2006 07:08 AM

I have access to a trailer with a winch on it. That's how I roll.

Hocrest 10-24-2006 08:05 AM

The cheapest way is going to be renting a tow dolly. You'll have to remove the propeller shaft though and drain the fluid that comes out the tailshaft when you do.

Once we get back from Florida, the trailer for the racer may be available. Send me a PM with some info on where it is and where it's going and I'll see what I can do.

dannmarr 10-24-2006 12:51 PM

Trouble free would be to use AAA, if you have it.

TomsSVX 10-24-2006 02:16 PM

you can tow it on a dolly pretty easily... Just take the 4 bolts holding the drive shaft to the rear and tie the drivehsfat out of the way(to the exhaust). Toss the front wheels on the dolley and you are good to go. Cheap and effective... yu can get these from U-haul... I just rented a car trailer last time I needed to do this, easy and effective for about $100 a day if u got a truck...

Tom

lhopp77 10-24-2006 05:32 PM

Getting It On!

1 Attachment(s)
U-Haul one-way trailer rental works for me. Getting it on is the problem unless you have an electric winch with enough capacity. I actually used 3 "come-a-longs" (2 to pull and one to hold while I reset the pulling 2) to get this one on.

A tow dolly is cheaper, of course, if you decide to go that way.

Lee

Sean486 10-24-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Once we get back from Florida, the trailer for the racer may be available. Send me a PM with some info on where it is and where it's going and I'll see what I can do.

I'll definetly give you a PM when the time comes. This is all just research for me right now. My plan is to pick one up with a bad tranny and have a member do the 4.44 conversion for me. Hopefully I will do this in the spring if the right car comes along. (By that time I will know if I will be moving to Harrisburg or not) But if the right car comes along sooner I may pick up the car and wait a little while on the trans. Who knows I might find one already converted to 4.44 or even one that already has a 5mt.:cool: