The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone use a car cover? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46621)

Sean486 10-17-2008 07:24 PM

Anyone use a car cover?

I was thinking of getting one, are they worthwhile or a waste? I don't have a usable garage and I mostly only drive the SVX on weekends. Thanks.

RojoRocket 10-17-2008 08:43 PM

Re: Anyone use a car cover?

I use one when the car has to sit outside for extended periods of time. Get a good one of Evolution type quilted material and it keeps it clean and dry. Some of the cheaper types are a waste of time and $$$.

Glenn

Manarius 10-17-2008 09:00 PM

Just make sure you get one that has a place to lock it. We put one on our Corvette and it was gone a few days later.

DarknessofDeath 10-17-2008 09:08 PM

i used a car cover when i bought an svx and didnt' have a licence for a period of time ~
the car was parked underground though

Subie59 10-17-2008 09:41 PM

I use one for my 280zx. I don't have a garage and only drive it on weekends as well. I bought the custom-fit Noah brand and it is very nice. It's breathable but keeps water dirt etc off the car. It has stayed perfectly clean for months since I got the cover, although I do wash and wax the car any time I drive it a lot over a weekend. When I pull the cover off it's still as clean as ever. An added benefit is that it keeps the sun off the car's interior and exterior. As you can see, I really like the cover. The only down side is that, although it's super easy to take the cover off and put it back on, I sometimes don't bother to drive the car because I don't feel like taking the cover off.
Also you really need to keep the car clean if you are using a cover because the dirt may scratch the paint if the cover is getting blown by the wind.

RojoRocket 10-17-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subie59 (Post 569077)
Also you really need to keep the car clean if you are using a cover because the dirt may scratch the paint if the cover is getting blown by the wind.

Good point! Never put a cover on a dirty car!! :cool:

Glenn

Sean486 10-17-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RojoRocket (Post 569081)
Good point! Never put a cover on a dirty car!! :cool:

Glenn

That's probably a good reason for me not to get a cover. I can't find much time to wash it. It also doesn't help that whenever I wash the car I end up getting sprayed and soaked by my 6 year old. :rolleyes:

ensteele 10-18-2008 10:39 AM

I have some covers on mine, but the dust seems to go right through it and when I pull it off, it is dirty. :(

bwb3 10-18-2008 12:22 PM

I find a car cover a necessity for the SVX that sits out in the open. I have a lot of trees around and between the birds, leaves and pine sap, the car will be trashed.
Gene

boipeba 10-18-2008 12:36 PM

I think there a good purchase. There's alot dirt and grit in the air that only wears on your paint.
I'm getting my car from the body shop next weekend. Looks swell. I bought a cover and I'm awaiting its arrival. I will garage it as well this year.
Just a toy. (RIGHT!)

Boi

PaulDexler 10-18-2008 05:28 PM

I have used car covers for years. I agree that some sort of locking system is necessary, because I had two stolen from my old Mercedes. I used to use canvas, but now the new materials are so much lighter that they are much easier to put on or take off. Be careful of wind. Where I live, I get a 20 mph breeze down a canyon every afternoon, so I can't put on or take off the cover between 4 and 8 pm. I also tend not to keep it on when it rains, I'd rather wipe down the car than have to clean the cover. Otherwise, two beetles, three Karmann Ghias, three Mercedes and two Alfa Romeos later, I use the cover whenever I can. It's better on the exterior, and much better for the interior.
Paul

NikFu S. 10-18-2008 05:32 PM

In my experience a car cover would have been useful in deterring vandals because people are less likely to randomly attack what they can't see.

Just something to think about.

Gr8Dane 10-18-2008 11:11 PM

I've had one, since I lived at my parents house before moving down here and i had to park outside, i drove it daily but still kept a cover on it at night. It worked fantastic, I keep it to use whenever I leave it out for extended periods of time, but my new place has a garage so it mostly just sits on a shelf now.

mysvxrocks 10-19-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 569138)
I have some covers on mine, but the dust seems to go right through it and when I pull it off, it is dirty. :(

Your cars are trying to tell you... drive me, drive meeeeeeee :rolleyes:

McTaff 10-19-2008 02:51 AM

If you get a car cover, make sure the inside is a soft fibre so it doesn't scratch, and the outside is waterproof.

The ones I have come with a dinky little pair of straps that go under the car and clip together to stop it blowing away, and have ends/corners that are elasticised. Never lost one to weather, and they've protected the car really well. Avid folks might even get a clip to anchor it to the wheel, but I've not had any trouble with them moving.

Works great, but getting the strap under the car requires laying down beside the car, not something you can do in a hurry. (If it's in a public place, then I don't know. I never leave my car in a public place.)

Best investment, though