The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another SVX bites the dust? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56824)

SoCal LS-L 03-20-2011 01:36 PM

Another SVX bites the dust?

Last night I had the unfortunate occurence of sliding nose first into a curb, which I could immediately tell had caused some damage. The wheel has to be held 45 degrees left to go straight, and there is a loud pop that shakes the front end when either the brakes are applied, or I turn the offending wheel too far left or right. Its scary loud and can be felt when it jolts the car. \

I took a look underneath, seems the front part of the a-arm where it connects to the crossmember has been torn almost open, leaving just some bent metal holding my a-arm in place, yikes, Some of the mount itself is peeled back, so its so twisted and smashed that it seems like it could come off .

How much is it a pain to remove a crossmember? And id akso need a new a-Arm

Hhow can I do this in my apartments parking? The association has rules and little snitches around the property. If I can just yank the crossmsmber, and get new a-arm hopefully that would settle it, just need advice from someone whos done this. Thanks

icingdeath88 03-20-2011 01:59 PM

Re: Another SVX bites the dust?

I think to change out the crossmember, you'll need an engine lift to support the engine while the crossmember is out. Changing just a control arm isn't bad at all, just a pain to get the rear bolt out since you have to pull the crossmember bracket behind it for it the bolt to slide out. Air tools would make it many times easier. The crossmember is not something I'd tackle in my condo complex, and probably not the control arm either. Any of your neighbors/friends have a garage you can use?

Gamesy 03-20-2011 06:37 PM

i agree
the crossmember is a full days job at a shop.

A-arm can be done in a parkinglot but also a pain in the ass

Johnybeas 03-20-2011 08:28 PM

During my 5mt conversion my auto teacher in highschool told me to put my throwout bearing in backwards, so I ended up completely dropping the tranny and everything before it and redoing it in my parents driveway... definitely doable, but patience and jack or two and a friend will do the trick.

For sure put a jack under the engine and make sure you're on all 4 jack stands and stable, and hoisted off of the frame not any suspension parts or it'll be a pain in the ass to remove the parts you need to replace.

Honestly though your frame may be bent depending on how hard you hit. I would get a body shop to measure your frame after you replace the parts otherwise it will never align correctly and you'll get **** tire wear etc.