The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where to get bolt on exhaust ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39578)

svx_commuter 06-28-2007 10:35 AM

Where to get bolt on exhaust ?

Hello,
Does anybody supply a bolt on exhaust for the SVX?
Well anybody but Subaru :)
The hole I had fixed, welded, a few years ago has opened up.
I need to get the front pipes and Y CAT.
The rest from the Y CAT back looks fine.
The flanges are corroding faster than the pipes!
The flanges are so thin they will break...... when tightened this time.
This will cost me about $880 for the pipes from Suby
It is amazing that the exhaust has lasted 300k miles
Well anyway I am just trying to save money.

Take care,

John

benebob 06-28-2007 10:51 AM

You can have SVX files make you one for that price I'd think you're almost talking a whole new exhaust set up.

It's Just Eric 06-28-2007 11:55 AM

The only bolt on exhausts I know of are cat-backs...and since they are proformance exhausts, they are a bit pricey

Seems a road trip to svxfiles is in order:D

svxcess 06-28-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Seems a road trip to svxfiles shop is in order :D

I heartily second that suggestion. Both newsvx and myself have had complete exhaust fabrications done by him. using Aero Turbine resonators and Magnaflow catalytic converters, we will never have the problems that plagued the stock system. No pre-cats, 49 state emissions legal. free-flowing... He also made a similar one for his supercharged Claret HERE

For a little eye-candy, visit my locker for photos of his ultimate exhaust on my 96 polo green HERE

lhopp77 06-29-2007 07:56 AM

Stebro

No one mentioned Stebro. They make a bolt on system that is stainless steel, free flowing and has a nice sound. You have an option of the rear convertor or a Euro resonator if you are in an area that does not require emissions testing. The system is great but quite pricey. You can check out their web site.

Lee

Kelvin 06-29-2007 09:11 AM

They don't make the front pipes though. Mine are rusted also, I can't believe how much subaru wants for them.

SVXRide 06-29-2007 09:23 AM

Go see SVXFiles!:cool:
-Bill

svx_commuter 06-29-2007 10:36 AM

Thanks for all your comments on this subject. I would really like to get a nice exhaust. longassname has a new set-up that seems to be interesting and that might do me well. However, I just really have to save $ right now. My SVX is not in "show room" condition as your SVX is. That many $'s would really not fit in on my SVX. I just want to keep my SVX running for a long time so I can keep driving it :D

So I was wondering if heat shields come on any of those after market exhausts? I want heat shields on my exhaust :) helps to keep the spalshing water off the hot pipes, avoids thermal stress, cuts down on heat tranmission from the pipes. The last time I had the exhaust out when the pipe broke, I insulated the pipes and then put the heat shields on. Now that really solved the rattling heat shield problem! Much better then putting a pipe clamp around the shield which also works well.

I am OKAY with the stock system. I think it is good and will last. It is my opinon that driving in the salt is not great. The salt spray from the road is the downfall for any car metal. I think that washing off the underside in the spring with garden hose is very good maintenance. So I do that every spring and get the slat out of all the cracks.

Take care,
John

benebob 06-29-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx_commuter
I think that washing off the underside after every drive in the winter especially if you're parking in a warmer than outside garage is very good maintenance.

Take care,
John

Fixed your post John. Having read about LANs system it seems okay but it also seems like it isn't exactly set up for a stock car or normal driving. SVXfiles on the other hand sounds nearly silent until you get up above 4 grand or so.

Crazypolo95 06-29-2007 05:10 PM

so how much and cound clip

svx_commuter 07-04-2007 08:01 AM

Anybody with used pipes I can get?

svxfiles 07-04-2007 09:34 AM

WOW, Thanks guys.

:)
Thank you for all your positive comments.:)
I just recieved 4, AR20 resonators,($82.00 each plus shipping)
and am awaiting two 94007 two into one Magnaflow cats,($75.00 each plus shipping)
and some 2" mandral bent U-bends ($14.95 each plus shipping)coming as well.
I already have two Magnaflow #10416, 2.5" SS resonators ($55.31 each, plus shipping).
I am about to fab up some free flowing, quiet exhausts, that can be sent to some people who can't drive here.
I would rather install them on site, but these should be easy to install.
To lessen the cost, and simplify things, they can be attached to the existing head pipes.
I listed some of the prices so that you can see the costs and expences of building a system like this, not including the tri-gas, (90% HE, 7.5% argon, 2.5% CO2) and the cost of stainless steel welding wire.:rolleyes:
You can see it's about $400.00 in parts alone, not counting hours of labor.
However it does eliminate the rusting problem,
(the cats and resonators are Stainless Steel, and the U-bends are aluminized)
for a while anyway, the factory resonator that when it goes has the most annoying buzz, flows better than stock.

What do you guys think is a fair price?

Oh, I also still have a NEW factory two into one cat for the first $100.00.:)

benebob 07-04-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Anybody with used pipes I can get?

I think between Hocrest's house and mine we have a complete set of stock pipes. Not a clue on condition inside or buziness although the muffler rattles pretty good when you shake it.

svx_commuter 07-04-2007 02:17 PM

So you replaced your exhaust with a new set-up?

Ricochet 07-04-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
I am about to fab up some free flowing, quiet exhausts, that can be sent to some people who can't drive here.

Cost? What kind of metal will you be using? Will it rust out in a year?[/quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
Oh, I also still have a NEW factory two into one cat for the first $100.00.:)

Very interested if the fabbed one costs less than an arm.