The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59704)

dromano 04-22-2012 07:46 PM

SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121

Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps?

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna?

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use?

4. Yes, I don't know Jack, met John several happy, good chap

5. Will request further help after a later pint...

6. This should be a, yeah..

Hocrest 04-22-2012 07:55 PM

Re: SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121

TiOx Window - Any GPS I've used in the SVX, has taken longer to get the initial signal (1 minute instead of 15 seconds) but once it gets the satellite signals it maintains an accurate position. So you don't need a trunk mounted antenna

Which GPS - In my opinion the key features are; Big Screen, Free Lifetime map updates.

Power - Yeah, most battery's are only for a few hours. Generally I just always use the power cord.

dromano 04-22-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 702753)
TiOx Window - Any GPS I've used in the SVX, has taken longer to get the initial signal (1 minute instead of 15 seconds) but once it gets the satellite signals it maintains an accurate position. So you don't need a trunk mounted antenna

Which GPS - In my opinion the key features are; Big Screen, Free Lifetime map updates.

Power - Yeah, most battery's are only for a few hours. Generally I just always use the power cord.

Thanks Hocrest. For 2012, define "big screen". One minute is way fast for where I will be, the Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana big spaces neighborhood, whose in a hurry land?

icingdeath88 04-22-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

You mean TiO2. (I am a chemist :P)

I cannot comment on the other questions, but I have used a GPS in my black SVX without issues from the windshield.

kwren 04-22-2012 08:47 PM

dromano: Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps? Garmin works great for me. Hardly affected at all with the windshield. The one I had origionally, Megellen, I had to hold out the window to get satellites.

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna? NO

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use? Definitely need it to be plugged in to the lighter if you are spending much time on the road..

I have a Garmin and bought the lifetime map up-dates for it. I also have the http://www.phantomalert.com/ that audibly warns me of any speed traps, speed cameras, school zones, red light cameras, that are ahead...all kinds of stuff!

I tried it mounted in several different places, but for me just to the left of the rear view mirror with the suction cup, and down a tiny bit works best. I see no advantage in having to look down instead of ahead at the road and traffic. So... all those things combined are very efficient additions to my driving safety.

One thing really I miss about the Megellen... When I reached my destination, a nice soft girl voice would always say, "You have arrived" I seriously miss that.:D No one ever told me that before!!

Hope this helps!

Keith:cool:

kwren 04-22-2012 08:58 PM

I tried the "Big screen" and took it back to Costco.I am talking about ther real one Garmin came out with. Might be fine with a moterhome with a great big windshield and it would be mounted farther away from your view.

The big screen blocks way too much of the windshield and if you install it below the windshield, for me looking down is always a no-no. One glance down puts you "way too many feet" from where you were the last time you saw where you were on the road.

Up beside the mirror lets you watch the road and the GPS at the same time.

BRADY 04-22-2012 11:07 PM

I use my Nokia phone. It has free updates for life, uses Assisted GPS to lock signal and has turn by turn navigation.

Nokia now sell this program and their 3D maps to many other third party companies.

Conn SVX 04-23-2012 06:05 AM

Magellan GPS I needed the external antenna. I have used 3 different Garmin and no issues. I don't do up grades, I buy a new one every 3 years or so. Technology gets better every few years. I up grade the whole system that way. Upgrade gives you recent gas station, hotel, store name changes and locations. Roads stay basically in the same place. I have mine mounted all the way to the left of my windshield , tucked in the corner next to the pillar.

Tim 04-23-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Unless you plan on driving between high rise buildings :)

92snowmachine 04-23-2012 09:56 AM

how is your radio? i put a double din dvd player with navigation in mine and it works great. screen is over six inches and it's a touchscreen so it takes little effort or time while driving. i bought a cheapo jensen unit after having my rca unit (expensive top of the line) last about a year. the whole unit with navigation was around $350. if your radio is ready to be replaced it might be time to just get in dash navigation, then you could also have the other bonuses like backup cameras, bluetooth to your phone, and bluetooth music streaming.

cthommes 04-23-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92snowmachine (Post 702792)
how is your radio? i put a double din dvd player with navigation in mine and it works great. screen is over six inches and it's a touchscreen so it takes little effort or time while driving. i bought a cheapo jensen unit after having my rca unit (expensive top of the line) last about a year. the whole unit with navigation was around $350. if your radio is ready to be replaced it might be time to just get in dash navigation, then you could also have the other bonuses like backup cameras, bluetooth to your phone, and bluetooth music streaming.

+1

I put a JVC dual din touchscreen NAV radio in mine too. Works very well. No issues with the antenna numb sitting on the dash under the windshield, it gets immediate satellite connection every time.

dromano 04-23-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 702758)
dromano: Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps? Garmin works great for me. Hardly affected at all with the windshield. The one I had origionally, Megellen, I had to hold out the window to get satellites.

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna? NO

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use? Definitely need it to be plugged in to the lighter if you are spending much time on the road..

I have a Garmin and bought the lifetime map up-dates for it. I also have the http://www.phantomalert.com/ that audibly warns me of any speed traps, speed cameras, school zones, red light cameras, that are ahead...all kinds of stuff!

I tried it mounted in several different places, but for me just to the left of the rear view mirror with the suction cup, and down a tiny bit works best. I see no advantage in having to look down instead of ahead at the road and traffic. So... all those things combined are very efficient additions to my driving safety.

One thing really I miss about the Megellen... When I reached my destination, a nice soft girl voice would always say, "You have arrived" I seriously miss that.:D No one ever told me that before!!

Hope this helps!

Kwren, thank you very much.....:)

dromano 04-23-2012 06:20 PM

I pulled the trigger on a Garmin nuvi 1690 refurb by Garmin, direct from Garmin $94 delivered, $60 a year after 2 free years?????????????

kwren 04-23-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano (Post 702831)
I pulled the trigger on a Garmin nuvi 1690 refurb by Garmin, direct from Garmin $94 delivered, $60 a year after 2 free years?????????????

Good choice... Now... never turn the headlight switch off on your SVX, they always go off when they are supposed to (when the engine is turned off, and remember how many feetyour car will go each second you are watching Garmin. Be safe!

You are welcome!

dromano 04-23-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 702832)
Good choice... Now... never turn the headlight switch off on your SVX, they always go off when they are supposed to (when the engine is turned off, and remember how many feetyour car will go each second you are watching Garmin. Be safe!

You are welcome!

Thanks, I will limit looks to straight stretches or at very low speeds......