The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Competition Motorsports (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Headed to VIR June 13,14 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49851)

SomethingElse 04-13-2009 06:41 PM

Headed to VIR June 13,14

Full course at VIR, So far I will have the only svx. A guy I used to work with says he ran with the mazda guys and they are a pretty laid back group. We are staying at the track hotel..figure about $130 bux a night. We got 4 people staying in our room so that helps out a lot with cost. here is the link to spend $435 to beat your car up for 3.6 hours.

http://www.mazdadrivers.com/09_vir_j...cel_policy.htm

Here is what im taking....so far Ive got red stuff brake pads in the front and green stuff in the rear..im not a pro driver so im guessing they should hold up to fading. I have not tracked an SVX yet...guess ill do some reading up...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...0404091347.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...0404091349.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...404091348a.jpg
The taillight has been installed since pic:p

TomsSVX 04-13-2009 08:37 PM

Re: Headed to VIR June 13,14

New driver's will go throught he brakes faster than experienced ones... I went through an entire set of pads when I went to Pocono. Also had some significant fade off the straights. Good luck car looks great!!

Tom

SomethingElse 04-13-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 596969)
New driver's will go throught he brakes faster than experienced ones... I went through an entire set of pads when I went to Pocono. Also had some significant fade off the straights. Good luck car looks great!!

Tom

I experienced that fade at summit point...that $hitz scarry. What pads where you using?

and thanks!

Mike621 04-14-2009 09:29 AM

Now thats a horse of a different color! :eek::p

Looking good overall. Best of luck on the road and at the track.

shotgunslade 04-14-2009 03:00 PM

Brake fluid. ATE Super blue or better. Other wise you will boil. And fade. Bleed the brakes after every 2 track sessions.

If you are an automatic keep it in 2. It will shift automatically only when it reaches 6400 rpm.

What tires?

Have fun.

benebob 04-14-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 597142)
Brake fluid. ATE Super blue or better. Other wise you will boil. And fade. Bleed the brakes after every 2 track sessions.

If you are an automatic keep it in 2. It will shift automatically only when it reaches 6400 rpm.

What tires?

Have fun.

Valvaoline Syth. is a much cheaper and very good alternative too. We've yet to have issues but were also 1000lbs less then you are. Bleeding is the key as slade said. I'd think about mounting some stock wheelies with a decent used set of 225 r-comps as you'll more than likely need to replace whatever you have on there anyways at the end of it. Remember, slow is fast!

shotgunslade 04-14-2009 08:13 PM

Benebob:

Gotta disagree with you about the R comps. A noobie is much better off with a tire that talks to him and gives him a lot of notice before it lets go. A max performance summer tire is a good selection to start with. My BFG G-Force KDW2's were a good choice for me. They gave me about 14 track days and 8000 miles on the road before they wore out on me. Plus, they were a good forgiving noobie tire, and they talked really loud when I was asking too much of them. They broke away slowly, but even so, I wound up cutting the grass several times. At least, though, I followed the cardinal track day rule:

Keep the shiny side up.

SomethingElse 04-14-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 597142)

What tires?

Have fun.

I have a dot 4+ fluid in there..I was hoping for it to hold up...u dont think it will? where do you suggest getting the blue from?

Got a 5 speed. Tires are Firestone wide ovals 225/40/18. sitting on coil overs, and cooled by pwr rad.

GreenMarine 04-15-2009 01:43 AM

Give me about 6 months to get the rest of the Exhaust and pro-Tune on the STi and I'll be up there at VIR with ya ;)

~ Chris

SomethingElse 04-15-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 597045)
Now thats a horse of a different color! :eek::p

Looking good overall. Best of luck on the road and at the track.

color is maya gold pearl, with some house of colors rainbow metallic :) thanks im gonna need it..

drivemusicnow 04-19-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 597153)
Valvaoline Syth. is a much cheaper and very good alternative too. We've yet to have issues but were also 1000lbs less then you are. Bleeding is the key as slade said. I'd think about mounting some stock wheelies with a decent used set of 225 r-comps as you'll more than likely need to replace whatever you have on there anyways at the end of it. Remember, slow is fast!

I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.

benebob 04-19-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivemusicnow (Post 597871)
I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The Synpower is what we run (didn't know it was discontinued). We have never had an issue with it and have even broken a rear caliper due to heat but had no fade.:confused::D

No I wouldn't recommend it for someone who planned a track only car but for one track event it should be more than acceptable.

As for the r-comps. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead with 18 inch rims on a track. I'm just too cheap to throw away good money for pimping tires. I used set of 1/2 life r comps (though not ideal) are a better investment assuming he still has his stock rims then cooking crappy firestones of the 18 inch variety plus it is cheaper than as shotgun said summer tires in a 16.

I agree that r-comps can be quite the handful for the novice drivers (and SVXride) but for $200-+ you won't find a better tire with more predictable results at track speeds.:D

SomethingElse 04-20-2009 05:14 AM

I have 5 bottles of the dot 4+ im just going to run that...if i have too, Ill bleed the brakes after every session. Thats something im used to doing anyway.

I havent been able to get a peep out of the firestones, GSodonis had these tires on the car he sold to me..Ive already got a new spare set of 18" falken tires my sister gave me. I plan to install them after I tear the firestones up. here is a link to them...they got good reviews and I love how sticky they are... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

SomethingElse 05-13-2009 05:16 AM

http://www.mazdadrivers.com/index.html

Time is running out! the event is 74% filled at this point.

ANY other tips for tracking the SVX?

I think I read at one point the coolant is going to "burp" or spew out on me?

Im bringing jack, jack stands, coolant , brake fluid, brake bleeding stuff, tourque wrench, electric impact, dont have any spare tires :( ....any other input?

huck369 05-13-2009 08:13 AM

You said you have a 5-speed, so you'll have a lot more "Engine Braking" to aide in slowing down,which will help save your brakes too.