The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   87' Honda Rebel? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26927)

SubaSteevo 06-21-2005 08:58 PM

87' Honda Rebel?

I've been toying over the idea of getting a motorcycle for the past year, and it looks like I'll be able to get a pretty good deal on an 87' Honda Rebel. The problem is that it needs a gas tank...

Anyone familiar with these bikes and know how much I could expect to pay for the tank, or if a tank from another bike would fit?

svxfiles 06-21-2005 10:02 PM

Is the bike going to be big enough for you?
And usually $200 for a clean gas tank. :)

SubaSteevo 06-21-2005 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
Is the bike going to be big enough for you?
And usually $200 for a clean gas tank. :)

Since I only weigh about 140, I wouldn't want anything much bigger...

UberRoo 06-21-2005 10:23 PM

If you get a tank from a bike wrecker, you're looking at anywhere from $50 to $500. Surprisingly, many tanks are compatible, or at least almost compatible - enough that you can fudge it. A bike wrecker won't care if it fits or not, so the price will be the same, but you might have more options if you mix and match. There were plenty of Rebels out there, but they were considered somewhat disposable and were generally neglected. For that reason, aftermarket and used parts are not especially plentiful. (Although I'm sure there's a following somewhere.)

A Rebel is a great learner's bike, but you might outgrow it much sooner than you expect. (They're still lots of fun even if you're used to monster bikes.) Most Rebels were 250s, but there were a few other sizes. I think they came as large as 500. Somebody may correct me on that. I don't recommend that you look for a litre-bike, but something in the 500cc range might be a better long-term ride. If a litre is dangerously fast, then 250ccs is dangerously slow. The professionals who race the superbikes weigh less than you. 250ccs will get you around town, but the freeway might be a bit much for that motor. ...but if you're not planning on investing your heart and soul into it for the long run, it might be fine for the summer. (Next summer you'll be itching for something bigger.)

huck369 06-22-2005 05:35 AM

The Rebel was produced as a 250 and a 450, the 450 was only produced a couple years in the 80's.

The tank should be easy to find as they still make the Rebel 250.

But if the tank is just rusty inside, you can get a "Cream" kit to treat it and coat it and still use the old tank.

Bikebandit has a brand new 1999 Rebel tank list for $399 (#49532-001).....and it would come pre-painted with the factory decals on it ready to install

At 140 pounds you will be able to enjoy it for a long time if you don't get power hungry, and should net 60+ mpg out of it :D

Royal Tiger 06-22-2005 06:54 AM

I was always a fan of Kawasaki's. The EX-500, later called the Ninja 500, is a great bike to start out on. More power then most half litre bikes, but light and easy to ride. I used to ride dirt bikes, and always wanted a Ninja ZX-7R, but the wife stopped that. Flip side is she may cave on the Porsche when I bring up the motorcycle. As a collision investigator, I have seen some nasty bike crashes. The one I'm working on now happened on Monday night. He probably won't survive. Good luck and be careful.