The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Auto-> Manual Seat Belt Conversion? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55993)

Geoff 11-24-2010 11:29 PM

Auto-> Manual Seat Belt Conversion?

Has anyone done this? What's required to swap a manual seatbelt setup from a newer SVX into an older one? Please advise. :)

Thanks,
Geoff

1986nate 11-25-2010 01:24 AM

Re: Auto-> Manual Seat Belt Conversion?

yes, it`s been done.
manual belts, manual belt a-b pillar trim pieces, i can`t remember what else right now.
mike 621 would know for sure as he did it in his 92 claret as well as a full tan interior swap

Hocrest 11-25-2010 05:46 AM

I just did mine a few months ago. You also want to grab the two steel brackets under the passenger side trim that the "o-****" handle bolts to. Because of the track, the handle on the auto seatbelt car is slightly higher.

If you don't get those brackets, you can either cut holes in the manual trim, or modify the bracket to get it tho line up with the holes in the manual trim.

alia176 11-25-2010 08:36 AM

I wrote up a How To in my locker with pics:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?alia176|32225

Hocrest 11-25-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 663382)
I wrote up a How To in my locker with pics:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?alia176|32225

Nice write up. I didn't remove the center console, My old lap belts are still in therejust retracted all the way in. I also didn't remove the carpet, just used a knife and some tin snips to cut the carpet/plastic.

icingdeath88 11-25-2010 10:33 AM

FYI I have a set of everything necessary to do the swap for a car with a grey interior, carpet included. Not sure how well the B-pillar cover things would ship though. They seem kinda fragile and bulky. I was going to do the swap on my '92, but it crashed and now I have a '94, so no point in keeping it around. I paid $200 I think, so offers anywhere in that range will be entertained.

icingdeath88 11-25-2010 10:40 AM

Also, the how-to guide posted suggests replacing the center console, but I'm fairly certain there's no point in doing the whole thing. There are a couple of grooves in the auto seatbelt center consoles, where the lap belt comes out of. The manual seatbelt ones still have that groove, they just have a little cover that slots into that groove. All you need is that little 2 inch "interior bit" and to remove the console to take out the lap belts.

Geoff 11-25-2010 11:52 PM

I've got a full 1994 to get parts out of - I should have everything necessary. Thanks for this write-up - It'll help a lot!

ensteele 11-26-2010 11:25 PM

I will put the write up in the How-To Docs. :)

icingdeath88 11-27-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 663469)
I will put the write up in the How-To Docs. :)

Let me know if you want pics of some of the parts out of the car.

alia176 11-28-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 663476)
Let me know if you want pics of some of the parts out of the car.

I may want some parts, like the carpet and some other tid bits. I'll PM you.

thanks.

icingdeath88 11-28-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 663584)
I may want some parts, like the carpet and some other tid bits. I'll PM you.

thanks.

I would much rather sell it as a set.

WestCoastSVX 01-13-2011 12:17 PM

For those that have done this, is there any problems with warning lights or error codes? The car still thinking the old autobelts need to be attached?

On that note, either way, is there another computer located somewhere related to the autobelts that could also be removed? Just to have a clean "complete" conversion and get any extra clutter out of the car for simplicity.

icingdeath88 01-13-2011 02:03 PM

Yea I think here's a module in the roof of the trunk that could be removed.

WestCoastSVX 08-29-2011 10:04 AM

Bump to see if anyone has run into problems with the error codes or bothered with the control module. :)

Also, since it seems IMPOSSIBLE to find someone parting out a car with grey manual seat belts (I don't think there were that many to start with, relatively).

Anyone know the part numbers for the little grey trim pieces that go on the center console. And the bracket for the assist handle?

I tried looking on Subaruparts, but they only have a category for "sealing and trim" for 1992. That category is suddenly absent for all other years. :confused: