The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OK, I've decided to fix the oil leaks... What else should I replace? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56581)

clarkerussell 02-15-2011 04:27 PM

OK, I've decided to replace my valve cover gaskets... What else should I replace?

Hello all,

I need to place an order for valve cover gaskets and I figured I should go ahead and replace the spark plugs while I was in there... Here is what I have so for:

2 Valve Cover Gaskets
4 "spark Plug well" gaskets
20 washer gaskets
2 oil seperator gaskets
6 spark plugs
1 oil cap seal
1 oil filler neck seal

Are there any other seals I should order? Thanks.

Clarke

Lookin4SVX 02-16-2011 12:54 AM

Re: OK, I've decided to fix the oil leaks... What else should I replace?

1 Attachment(s)
I had my valve cover gaskets replaced not to long back.
I asked on here for help making a list of parts and was helped by quite a few people.

I have attached the PDF file I made with the list of part numbers for the valve cover gaskets.

P.S. My list also has the bolts on it.
The previous owner had replaced the valve cover gaskets only 7months before I bought the car and they were already leaking.
So I decided to have all new bolts don't at same time because I am paranoid like that.

I am not sure what else would be good to have done at the same time.
I am just posting this list so you can check it against what you listed.
oh, and BUMP

huck369 02-16-2011 05:13 AM

Good chance you need to replace the cam seals and crank seal too(requires removing the timing belt)

gbianchi 02-16-2011 02:44 PM

on that list with part nos those prices are really good! where are those parts coming from at that price? thanks ...............G

clarkerussell 02-16-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks, that's a good list, especially with the diagram.

The parts pricing is exactly what I found on Subaruparts.com. I just wish their shipping wasn't so damn high. It's about 15% of the parts price. $22 is WAY too much for ground shipping on a few gaskets, bolts and a set of spark plugs... I'd expect 2-3 day service for that price.

clarkerussell 02-16-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 669119)
Good chance you need to replace the cam seals and crank seal too(requires removing the timing belt)

That's next. I have all the pulley's, belt, and a new water pump. I figured I'd start on the valve covers first, and then move to the front of the engine. I'm assuming the two are not tied together somehow, are they?

Since you mentioned it, I have the part number (806732150) for the two cam seals, do you have the number for the crank seal? I can't seem to find it on the Subaruparts.com site. Thanks.

Clarke

North Ursalia 02-16-2011 03:08 PM

You can try Jamie @ SubaruGenuineParts.com too- still up in WA like SubaruParts.com, but her shipping is usually cheaper.

As for the crank seal, it's bad that I still know this off the top of my head after being out of a Subaru dealership for over 4 years, but it's 806733030 :). You should get 806919050 as well, which is the o ring on the back of the pump, and fully reseal the oil pump if you're already in there. You'll need some RTV sealant as well, as that's what sticks the pump to block and finishes up the sealing.

clarkerussell 02-17-2011 01:59 PM

Does it make sense to start with the valve covers and then move on to the front of the engine? The valve covers can be done without removing anything from the front of the engine, right?

icingdeath88 02-17-2011 02:13 PM

Plugs are easier to change with the valve covers off...

cozykat 02-17-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkerussell (Post 669152)
Thanks, that's a good list, especially with the diagram.

The parts pricing is exactly what I found on Subaruparts.com. I just wish their shipping wasn't so damn high. It's about 15% of the parts price. $22 is WAY too much for ground shipping on a few gaskets, bolts and a set of spark plugs... I'd expect 2-3 day service for that price.

If shipping gets too high, you can call them after placing an order and ask about the shipping cost - they might adjust if the auto-generated shipping cost is inappropriately high. I know in the past, they have quoted slightly cheaper shipping over the phone.

dennyo 02-17-2011 04:19 PM

Try subaru parts for you.com They are in Connecticut.Might be cheaper.

huck369 02-18-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkerussell (Post 669213)
Does it make sense to start with the valve covers and then move on to the front of the engine? The valve covers can be done without removing anything from the front of the engine, right?

Yes that is correct, you can do the Valve covers then later when you're ready, do the front seals (don't forget to replace the Power Steering Tank O-Ring while you're working on it)

clarkerussell 02-18-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 669275)
Yes that is correct, you can do the Valve covers then later when you're ready, do the front seals (don't forget to replace the Power Steering Tank O-Ring while you're working on it)

Awesome, I already replaced the PS tank o-ring a few years back... It leaked during a trip... what a mess.

So, for the Valve covers I'm getting all the parts on the list as well as 6 new plugs as well as the gasket for the oil fill neck (and a new oil cap seal for good measure). Good times await...

clarkerussell 02-18-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 669214)
Plugs are easier to change with the valve covers off...

Yep, I had that on my list, but thanks for the reminder.

SVXMAN2001 02-18-2011 12:47 PM

Also try liberty subaru and ask for Russ, they offer a 20% discount on parts and their shipping has always been reasonable in my experience. I order all parts through liberty. I've used subaruparts.com and waited close to 2 weeks to get parts. Way to long for me.