The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Management (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Changing the ECU to a MegaSquirt II (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46437)

Dessertrunner 10-03-2008 02:40 AM

Changing the ECU to a MegaSquirt II

I have been looking at the possibility of setting up a SVX running a MegaSquirt II ECU. I have spoken to Matt runs one in the rally car and Harvey also knows someone using one. Given the problem of making changes to the maps on our current ECU I figure the best thing is to give this a try. Why a MegaSquirt II well they are very well priced for what you get.
I have attached a link to the unit I am thinking about.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...nit-p-165.html

Tony

oldss72 10-03-2008 08:25 AM

Re: Changing the ECU to a MegaSquirt II

I have a friend who is putting a turbo on his celica. There is alot of information out there about these units, and I have yet to hear anything terrible. He is going to be using the Megasquirt in a few weeks, and I am supposed to help him with the tuning. We are going to run it on the new ECU without the turbo for a few weeks to make sure everything is working smoothly, and then add the turbo and re-tune everything. These can also be built at home for a lot less as well. I have some turbos laying around, and I plan on eventually turbocharging my svx once I can afford to have pistons and cams made up, and depending on the success of my friends Celica, I was going to use the Megasquirt.

TomsSVX 10-03-2008 09:10 AM

as far as I have come to understand the megasquirt is similar to the TechII in that it is only a piggyback to the stock ECU?? In which it has mediocre controls of timing and fuel maps yet lacks the function to change other parameters... Please correct if I am wrong here?

Tom

RallyBob 10-03-2008 09:55 AM

The Megasquirt is a full standalone ECU. It's not without it's potential issues, but it's by far the cheapest fully programmable option out there. Pretty easy to tune as well, and if you use the 'Autotune' software you can get 90-95% of the way there in 15 minutes of driving.

It is NOT in any way in the same league as Motec or Autronic, etc. But it's a viable alternative for a low buck build.

TomsSVX 10-03-2008 09:59 AM

Gotcha. thanks for the clarification.

Tom

Dessertrunner 10-03-2008 01:09 PM

From what Matt told me there are a lot of Rally cars here in Oz using them. As regards it not being as good as Motec etc thats true and I think its because it doesn't do things like sequential injecting. Harvey made a point and said that this is not such a big deal because you are gettiing up near 100% duty on the injectors which means any sequential advantage would be lost anyway.
What I do think counts is that we can program it ourselfs which means any changes that are made to the engines can be fully taken advantage of. In short it would have to be better then the existing unit.
Tony

TomsSVX 10-03-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 566913)
From what Matt told me there are a lot of Rally cars here in Oz using them. As regards it not being as good as Motec etc thats true and I think its because it doesn't do things like sequential injecting. Harvey made a point and said that this is not such a big deal because you are gettiing up near 100% duty on the injectors which means any sequential advantage would be lost anyway.
What I do think counts is that we can program it ourselfs which means any changes that are made to the engines can be fully taken advantage of. In short it would have to be better then the existing unit.
Tony

Let us know how it goes Tony.:)

Tom

Tim 10-03-2008 02:51 PM

I'm assuming this is for the race engine you ordered. Did it come with stage 2 hardware also, or is it factory engine programming?

Dessertrunner 10-03-2008 03:40 PM

I was going to order the race engine with stage 2 and also get it reprogramed by putting it on an engine dyno in the USA by Mike. After a bit of thought I figure I need to go a different way.
The main purpose is the race car but in saying that I want to do a lot of the development on my daily drive. Even to the extent of puttiing race engine in that car to sort out ECU.
Reaons for the change:-
- Want to be able to be able to change air cleaner and intake hose and put air cleaner at the intake manifold with air scoop on bonnet ( no MAF sensor).
- If it works out change the daily drive to MegaSquirt so I can use a wide band O2 sensor to see what improvment can be made to fuel econamy.
- When I do fit the SC to one of my engines we able to change tables with out major problems.

Plane and simply I can't see the same power form the standard ECU that I will get from installing a MegaSquirt.
Tony

TomsSVX 10-03-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 566932)
I was going to order the race engine with stage 2 and also get it reprogramed by putting it on an engine dyno in the USA by Mike. After a bit of thought I figure I need to go a different way.
The main purpose is the race car but in saying that I want to do a lot of the development on my daily drive. Even to the extent of puttiing race engine in that car to sort out ECU.
Reaons for the change:-
- Want to be able to be able to change air cleaner and intake hose and put air cleaner at the intake manifold with air scoop on bonnet ( no MAF sensor).
- If it works out change the daily drive to MegaSquirt so I can use a wide band O2 sensor to see what improvment can be made to fuel econamy.
- When I do fit the SC to one of my engines we able to change tables with out major problems.

Plane and simply I can't see the same power form the standard ECU that I will get from installing a MegaSquirt.
Tony

fully understood and I agree wholeheartedly. I am looking into a unit that is a little more advanced and more precise though.

Tom

Dessertrunner 10-03-2008 04:34 PM

Which unit Tom? does anyone know anything about the "eMS-Pro" units? They seem to have knock Maping.
Tony

Evil One 10-04-2008 01:28 AM

I am putting the Spectre eMS-Pro in my turbocharged and nitrous injected pinto, I will be sure and check in as I progress.
Nice choice on the MS, lots of support for it and a great value.

Jim

Dessertrunner 10-04-2008 02:10 AM

Jim did you pick the eMS-Pro only for its ability on NOS or what

Bansheeboy11 10-06-2008 09:29 PM

Im going to be running the MS2 in my H6 impreza, when the friggin motor gets done, anyone in the cleveland area wanna gimme a running motor? I dont have the time or money to rebuild this one... But im messing around with the MS and its real easy to use, the manuals and stuff online make it look complicated... But if you guys have any info on how to wire it to the engine harness please let me know cause thats what im trying to get done...

Bansheeboy11 10-09-2008 02:46 PM

Im trying to input the stock settings on the MS2, i need to know all the injector pulsewidths, injections per cycle, all that... Would this stuff be in the FSM? i dont have one but any info on this would be helpful as this is the only svx board thats remotely active, lol. I hope to have the car running by next week.