The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My 5speed Conversion is Done! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47694)

jdmlambo 12-18-2008 08:10 PM

My 5speed Conversion is Done!

Just finished my 5spd conversion on my 92 pearly..Only drove it around the lot at my shop, but its a dream come true... been thinking about this for a while.. Car runs great...
I have some pics, ill post em up later...
Big thanks to Tomssvx for the kit... anyone thinking of doing this conversion should not think twice about contacting him... Everything you need, perfectly designed and fabricated.. made it so much easier...

Also big thanks to all the members for such a great, active forum for all us svxers... all of the threads and posts are priceless... its thanks to you i now have my 5 speed... cant wait to really drive it!

Freeman 12-19-2008 06:06 AM

Re: My 5speed Conversion is Done!

Right, right! Your father told us about it! Glad to hear it's all finished and running great! Welcome to the forums, my friend! Don't forget to post many, many pictures and ANY information on anything your doing to your car! Your input is very welcome and much appriciated! Again, welcome, and have fun!

greggbzz 12-19-2008 06:20 AM

I have been extremely happy with the conversion Tom did on mine. Everything just works and the car has not given me any problems despite my driving it everywhere in the 7 months since it was swapped. :D

briansvx 01-03-2009 10:13 PM

Congratulations!
May I ask that why it seems that not too many people would make a 6spd swap?

SVXRide 01-03-2009 10:20 PM

Trans alone more than doubles (?) the overall cost.
-Bill

briansvx 01-03-2009 10:23 PM

so, has anyone done it with a full description of parts, process and cost? what is known to be the latest year of 6spd that would fit the EG33?
thanks for the expertise sharing!

laserx 01-08-2009 11:57 AM

Just had my first drive in my old perlie, now my son's 5-speed perlie. All I can say is WOW!!!!! These cars where meant to be 5-speeds, it is a whole new experience...ya, I'm real jealous of him now. The 2004 WRX tranny with a stage 2 clutch and 11lb flywheel, makes this car drive the way it was suppose to drive. He did a perfect job on this conversion with some questions answered and guidance from Tom, thanks again Tom.
I know he took lots of pictures during the conversion and I also know he plans of posting them here, we now have another member who knows how to do the conversion.
Looks real nice in the driveway right now, father and son SVX's side by side :) I can hardly wait for the summer.

sicksubie 01-08-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansvx (Post 580423)
so, has anyone done it with a full description of parts, process and cost? what is known to be the latest year of 6spd that would fit the EG33?

Any year will fit. I have a 2007 STi 6spd in my car....

Freeman 01-08-2009 03:54 PM

This almost makes me wish I could drive manual.. lol

Mensaf 01-08-2009 03:58 PM

I can't wait to post a thread like this. Congrats man.

laserx 01-08-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 581248)
Any year will fit. I have a 2007 STi 6spd in my car....

I think this is what I'll have to put into my 96 an STi 6-speed sounds real nice and I'm sure gets the most out of your SVX.

evilsvx 01-18-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansvx (Post 580423)

i know also people use legacy tranny for the swaps. does any one knows what year and trim is the best of the legacys. im planning to use a legacy turbo tranny for my swap

TomsSVX 01-18-2009 10:14 AM

A turbo trans would be good. if you are using a different legacy trans... while it will work well, it won't hold up to much abuse.

Tom

jeffast 01-18-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 582736)
A turbo trans would be good. if you are using a different legacy trans... while it will work well, it won't hold up to much abuse.

Tom

this is true i abuse them, and they only last about 5-10,000 miles usually less then that, one only went 1000.

subiedo 01-19-2009 09:55 AM

Slightly off topic but sounds like the Legacy Turbo transmission with the 3.90 gearing is considered a reasonable replacement for the stock SVX? My "95" likely has the notorious Duty Solonoid C failure and going 5 speed manual is proving cost and technically prohibitive to me. But there is a 1991 Legacy Turbo "rebuild" tranny I found that may be a good transplant. Any experiences or comments on this idea the members here can share on that? Oh, ad says it has stronger roller bearings & some stuff about "JDM"?? Does this mean anything or just bling? THANKS!