The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVXWN on Facebook (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62511)

Chris 02-05-2014 11:07 PM

SVXWN on Facebook

No no no.. Its NOT a replacement of the SVX World Network. Its the social networking side to bridge the gaps. Imaging if your daily web information load included news site, sales sites, etc.... and of course, your favorite car stop.. The 13+ year old SVX World Network. And upon your arrival after waiting for a page to display... its down.... (gasps) Oh no, the world has come to an end..

Ok kidding aside, there was an event that a couple months ago cause the SVX World Network database server to no longer process posts... but the monitored side of what I was watching for in the way of failures, reported all was good. So, if you find the site down, check this link:

http://www.facebook.com/SVXWN

If its a maintenance period or an an unplanned outage, but we are aware of it, news will be updated there.

As we progress in the software upgrades, watch for more links and tools that have direct tie ins with the SVXWN Facebook site and cross posting with the forums here.

Hope its an upgrade and not a fad. Feedback welcome.

I cannot believe I am about to say this but......
"Don't forget to 'Like' us on Facebook" (ohhh.. that hurt)

(note: hey RSVX, any chance of a "F" icon add?)

Chris 02-06-2014 03:55 PM

Re: SVXWN on Facebook

I am getting a bunch of pushback on this issue and people asking why, when there is another SVX World Network Facebook site.

Answers:
1. The other site was not created by the Administrative staff/Officers of the SVX World Network and thusly, no one sent me an invite, and I had no knowledge of its existence.
2. Since I have no admin privileges there or passwords, I cannot "grant" the newest version of the SVXWN forums software the rights and password to tie in links between the two sites.
3. Also related to #2, I cannot post outage information on the Facebook side on a site I have no passwords or invite when the actual forums are taken down for maintenance or other broken reasons. I wanted a second place people could easily get to if the forums did not come up to at least see that the site being down has been acknowledged by administrators and updates on its return to service. Honestly, whats easier than typing www.facebook.com/SVXWN

Does this help?

If I continue to get push back about bad idea, then there really is not much need to upgrade the forums software as the only MAIN improvements are ties to social media to promote special circumstances and events.

Continued opinions are still desired, pro and con. If these added features are not wanted, I would like to know as soon as possible because any of the other security flaws with the forums software hsa already been addressed and fighting to update more would be a waste of time.

svxcess 02-06-2014 04:11 PM

Chris,

This is a great idea; don't abandon it.
There is always a reason for a backup for the main site just in case. When the network was down, there was a lot of comments on the Facebook page about what happened and speculation. Had your page been in place then, all these questions could have been answered.

The other Facebook page serves a similar purpose to the love chat we used to have. Instant gratification of postings and instant messaging between multiple members, that only a social network can provide. There are 2 other sub forums dedicated to the SVX, with mostly the same members and a lot of duplication of posts.

Not counting your new one, with 3 SVX forums on Facebook, plus my own page, my news feed and the SVXWN website, I find it hard to remember what I saw and where. I cannot remember the last time I went to the old Yahoo! groups SVX website or the SVX World Forums (website or Facebook.).

Stand your ground. It's worth it.

Chris 02-06-2014 04:32 PM

And so everyone knows... The Facebook side is NOT to replace the SVX World Network. It is supposed to be nothing more than a social media tie in. Remember, Facebook turned 10 years old this month. The SVX World network is THIRTEEN! :D

Dburger 02-06-2014 06:20 PM

Just liked the page :D

Hondasucks 02-21-2014 07:03 PM

There is also a group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/86594703272/ that I created many years ago, and you don't need an invite just join the group, and let me know and I'll make you an admin there. (It's a group though, not a page, so there is not an account tied to it to have a password, etc... however if you join I'll make you an admin and you can post network status, etc... I'll also throw a link to your page on the group.