The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Turbo Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Some swap questions....please don't hammer me lol (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53552)

jonboyb 03-24-2010 08:27 AM

Some swap questions....please don't hammer me lol

Let me start off by saying I'm not a young buck and I've been building turbo imports since '93. Most of my experience is in the Toyota JZ's and with the Mitsubishi 4G63, 4G64, and G54b series. I've been lurking here for a long time as I've always been in love with the styling of the SVX. However....I'm not a fan of the powerplant (strength and aftermarket parts prices specifically) and I'm not an auto and AWD enthusiast.

I'm ready for a new project and I'm finally going to make the dive and build the car I want. Before anyone gets upset...I will be starting with a problem SVX....I have no intentions of buying a perfectly good driving car and hacking it. I'll start with something severely broken.....and make all the SVX crowd happy (or at least tolerant....LOL) with the final product. The final product will be RWD turbo running one of my spare 2JZ's (if there's any way to even get it to fit) or a 4G64 if the inline 6 just won't work. Either way it will be mated to a Toyota R154 tranny. Car will be standalone controlled by Megasquirt.

Anyways, I have a few quick questions that I haven't been able to get an answer to.

1) How much power (in RWD form) can the stock rear diff, WRX rear diff, and STI rear diff handle. Axles too.

2) Does the SVX have an engine only harness that I can remove or does it run some accessories through the factory ECU.

3) How much tire will fit in the rear wheel wells.

Again....I'm sure swaps aren't popular here and I will get flamed by the diehards.....but I gotta do what I gotta do:)

Wikedjuggalo 03-24-2010 08:40 AM

Re: Some swap questions....please don't hammer me lol

Wish you good luck and swaps are fine with most people specially if you are taking a damaged svx and saving it to an extent. I am not particularly happy about seeing a Toyota or Mitsubishi . engine in a Subaru but people have done worse :lol::lol::lol:

I know the tires rub with 18's on the stock 225/45 I believe. When I say rub it depends on the struts and how bad they sag.

Sean486 03-24-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboyb (Post 639439)
Let me start off by saying I'm not a young buck and I've been building turbo imports since '93. Most of my experience is in the Toyota JZ's and with the Mitsubishi 4G63, 4G64, and G54b series. I've been lurking here for a long time as I've always been in love with the styling of the SVX. However....I'm not a fan of the powerplant (strength and aftermarket parts prices specifically) and I'm not an auto and AWD enthusiast.

I'm ready for a new project and I'm finally going to make the dive and build the car I want. Before anyone gets upset...I will be starting with a problem SVX....I have no intentions of buying a perfectly good driving car and hacking it. I'll start with something severely broken.....and make all the SVX crowd happy (or at least tolerant....LOL) with the final product. The final product will be RWD turbo running one of my spare 2JZ's (if there's any way to even get it to fit) or a 4G64 if the inline 6 just won't work. Either way it will be mated to a Toyota R154 tranny. Car will be standalone controlled by Megasquirt.

Anyways, I have a few quick questions that I haven't been able to get an answer to.

1) How much power (in RWD form) can the stock rear diff, WRX rear diff, and STI rear diff handle. Axles too.

2) Does the SVX have an engine only harness that I can remove or does it run some accessories through the factory ECU.

Again....I'm sure swaps aren't popular here and I will get flamed by the diehards.....but I gotta do what I gotta do:)

I think what you are doing is great, especially if you will be saving one with a blown engine or one that has been lost to the VW Vanagan guys.

jonboyb 03-24-2010 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=Wikedjuggalo;639442]Wish you good luck and swaps are fine with most people specially if you are taking a damaged svx and saving it to an extent. I am not particularly happy about seeing a Toyota or Mitsubishi . engine in a Subaru but people have done worse :lol::lol::lol:[\QUOTE]

All comes down to what I have laying around and where my knowledge base is:lol: If I had an STI driveline sitting around.....I'd go that route but there's no way I'm ponying up that kind of $$$ to keep it brand specific:)

Wikedjuggalo 03-24-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboyb (Post 639445)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 639442)
Wish you good luck and swaps are fine with most people specially if you are taking a damaged svx and saving it to an extent. I am not particularly happy about seeing a Toyota or Mitsubishi . engine in a Subaru but people have done worse :lol::lol::lol:

All comes down to what I have laying around and where my knowledge base is:lol: If I had an STI driveline sitting around.....I'd go that route but there's no way I'm ponying up that kind of $$$ to keep it brand specific:)

Thats fine I was just poking fun, I'd like to see how you fit that engine in there :lol:

Crazy_pilot 03-24-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboyb (Post 639439)

Go for it!

I can't answer the other questions, but I'm near positive the SVX can take 275's in the back with the right combination of offset, coilovers, ride height, fender rolling and camber. I run 245's on my BBS rims, +53 offset, and they're still tucked well into the wheel wells.

Hocrest 03-24-2010 09:59 AM

Not sure on HP that the R160 rear diff can handle, but many have put in the R180. And I've read that the R200's out of old datsun/nissan's has the same size carrier??

jonboyb 03-24-2010 10:25 AM

Wow.....thanks for all the quick replies (and feel free to keep'em coming).

275 will be plenty of tire for me....not going for redicuous power. I have access to a WRX rear diff and I hope it can stand up to my goals.

As far as the 2JZ fitment....as far as I can tell it SHOULD work without major firewall modification if I move the radiator to the front of the support like a couple other JZ swaps I;ve been involved with. Intercooler fitment and retaining AC could be tough then though. The factory crossmember could be a problem but that's what plasma cutters and welders are for:) Until I secure a project vehicle and get it stripped it's all speculation at this point.

Crazy_pilot 03-24-2010 10:40 AM

How tall is the 2JZ as compared to the EG33? The SVX doesn't have the tallest engine bay... It would be neat to see an M3 style hood bulge.

jonboyb 03-24-2010 10:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it's considerably taller than the 33....but depending on how everything sits in the engine bay I might be able to change between a front/rear sump oil pan and get it low. Should be ALOT skinnier and I may be able to develop a mounting system that really drops it from the factory 33 mounting level. Again....till I have a chassis in my shop I can really button down the details.

My mechanical skills are great.....my body work....not so much:) I'm certain you would not be pleased with any hood buldge I produce:lol:

Bonestock 03-24-2010 05:56 PM

I have been in the business for quite a while, I can say I doubt a tall & long engine like the 2JZ or RB would clear the hood. It has quite a rake to it. But then it wouldn't stop me from shoving an LSX in there! LOL

The oil pan isn't the problem. If you were to dry sump one of your choices, and really try to drop the engine low, I think you would then run into pinion angle, ground clearance issues.. etc & it still probably wont clear.

As for keeping it Subaru. I think an STi or even the WRX drivetrain would be a far easier swap (due to Subaru lego-ness) and create little to no physical obstructions.

As soon as I get tired of the weak ass 3.3 its gone in favor of an EJ25/6MT.

Good luck either way, it should be fun. I am all about the engine swaps.... Started way back in the day with a bet that I could swap a SBC into a 88 Starion ESi-R to be rid of that POS truck motor G54Bt. 6mo later I was driving it. Of course the StarQuest guys hated me for it. Not that I cared. :rolleyes::lol:

Phast SVX 03-25-2010 09:14 AM

Slant six? ;) Good luck with the swap. I love my EG rig but it truely will be easier to make things fit.

WRX has the same differential size as the SVX, 3.73 R160. The center differ is a 1.1:1 so the front is a 3.90 in a WRX. I Would just go with a nice R200 unit or something of the sorts if your going to be shuffling everything to the back. Also be aware of the carrier mount it may be a huge PITA to get to be true.