The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest Region (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   SVX brakes for Dummies (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13411)

gf ina subie 09-26-2003 10:23 AM

SVX brakes for Dummies

I need to start thinking about new brakes for my baby, and I'm new to this. My BF is very good about researching and offering suggestions for me, but I'd also like to take some responsibility for some of this on my own.

I've looked on the Mods forum, and will continue to do so, but if anyone would like to post their suggestions or experience with Good brake kit mods for the SVX here, I'd sure appreciate it. Looking mostly for brands/types of brake pads and rotors, but would appreciate help on anything from ss lines to master cylinders.

Thanks much!

-Kim

Bobb 09-26-2003 11:12 AM

Brakes

Hi Kim, I doubt your a dummy. After all, you you have a SVX! I have ART rotors, Akebono ceramic pads and Stainless wrapped brake hoses. This gives a very firm brake pedal and was a huge improvement overall in braking. If you do a "search" you will find about a million posts on braking. Glad to have you on site. Take care, BOBB

ensteele 09-26-2003 02:46 PM

Hi Kim

Welcome to the site. There is a How-To Documents link in the top right hand corner of this page. Go to it and you will find directions for brakes and many more good directions.

Watch the Northwest Forum for meets that we have. :)

Alycone 09-26-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

Watch the Northwest Forum for meets that we have.
Yeah, you should come to the october meet, I'd like to see the shade of red you have. Although if your brakes don't work, we'll make you drive in front. :p

-Alli

gf ina subie 09-26-2003 10:44 PM

No workie?!

They work, they work! I'm just in the research phase...don't want to get caught in the "did a 747 just fly 200 feet over my car, or was that metal on metal?" phase. Very bad. I figure when it's time to replace them, I might as well upgrade.

Yes, paint - very nice. Stupid, stupid rocks! The car was repainted after the previous owner had a couple of unfortunate incidents involving a deer and a theif...not at the same time. :p

Didn't paint the engine bay to save $$, but the paint job itself was pretty meticulous. Stupid, stupid rocks!

SVXRide 09-27-2003 08:17 AM

From my experience, going to slotted front rotors and ss lines on the front offers the most bang for your buck. Adding slotted rear rotors and ss lines to the back are just the icing on the cake! Depending on the number of miles on your SVX, you may also benefit from having all of the calipers rebuilt - turned out my driver's side rear caliper was hanging up after 170k+ miles, think I was stoping with 3 wheels:eek:
-Bill

ensteele 09-27-2003 11:05 AM

If you put SS brake lines on, you should put all 4 on - front and back. You don't need to put on rotors, but just the lines. The SS lines will take more pressure, and because they are older lines, it would be better to replace all at the same time. They come in a set of 4 anyway. :)

WestCoastSVX 09-27-2003 01:24 PM

I'll echo what has been said about you should really try to come to our next meet! :)

Not only will you have a lot of fun, but a lot of us have replaced the brakes to various extents so you can check out the different options in person. :)

ensteele 09-27-2003 02:53 PM

And even transmissions :mad:

Alycone 09-27-2003 10:49 PM

Quote:

And even transmissions
How's your blue?

tuzem 09-30-2003 07:35 PM

Yeah, yeah! Come to the meet. The more on the drinking team the better!

I had to change all rotors and the front calipers on my subaru... the whole ordeal cost me about $750.... I bought the car from an auction and I didn't get a chance to drive it before i got it... I had those nasty rattles though. You said nothing about rattles.

Hope to see you at the meet. We are a bunch of happy car geeks :D and don't worry... we don't talk SVX that much at the meets... BTW ! I've become an expert in remote service. If someone needs batteries changed or reprogramming, let me know!

-Nick

seasvx 09-30-2003 08:20 PM

Re: SVX brakes for Dummies

Quote:

Originally posted by gf ina subie
I need to start thinking about new brakes ...
-Kim

same here. i have been in contact via private messages (pm) with landshark and mbtoloczko and have benefited greatly from the knowledge and experience on svx brake matters. give 'em a pm.

WestCoastSVX 10-01-2003 10:33 AM

Jim - come to the meet and you can test out my car. ;) I have every brake part replaced with the "majority preferred" parts on all four corners.

gf ina subie 10-01-2003 11:33 AM

Hard to say if I'll make the meet...I just sold my house, and I have to get everything out by closing on Oct. 15th. Ugh.

Anyhow, I may have to postpone any brake upgrades for a bit. Yesterday I hit the gas to pass someone and the car sounded cool and revved high, but the tranny didn't engaged. Not good. I was told that the tranny is a rebuild, and it's got at least 20K+ on it by now. Again with the "Ugh."

:rolleyes: -Kim

Alycone 10-04-2003 02:51 AM

But it's going to be after Oct 15th, so you don't have an excuse. :)

Hope your tranny's okay, there are a lot of tips on the board for prolonging them.