The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   car making weird noises....belts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34169)

n00b on demand 07-12-2006 08:28 PM

car making weird noises....belts?

Ok so my car developed some squealing...belts as far as I know haven't been replaced. Its been pretty humid recently...and everytime it gets humid it squeals alot more. The last few days it hasn't squealed at all since the weather has been dry and nice. But today was one of the most humid days we've had and when i started my car when I was coming home from work....it squealed real loud and I heard a rattle or clack clack clack noise coming from the engine or the bottom of the car. I also have loose heat shield(s) that rattle at 1,500 rpms. Everytime I hit the gas it would squeal real loud and go away when I let off. Then when I was at a light it would squeal again....its weird....it sounds like squirrels are being chopped up in the engine :rolleyes: . The car runs fine...no power loss or anything weird like that. Just the noise.

I took the cover off the top and inspected....nothing is loose or wobbling...the noise seems to be coming from the Power Steering area. The rattle seems to be coming from that area too but it sounds like its coming from the bottom of the car....its kinda hard to diagnose it. Someone told me that when it gets humid outside old belts will squeal because of water getting into the little tiny cracks in the belt. Then when the weather is fine it will go away. Seems to make sense. And tonight as I said it is VERY humid outside. Car only started squealing today when I started it up as I was going to come home from work.

Manarius 07-12-2006 10:10 PM

Sounds to me like a pulley is rubbing. Some lubricant would probably be useful.

Bwana 07-12-2006 10:28 PM

Mine's been doing the same thing lately. I was actually about to make a thread too.

Mine only does it when the AC is on, and only until i get the engine revved up a little bit. I assume it's a pulley and when I rev it up, the pulley "breaks loose" and stops the squealing.

n00b on demand 07-13-2006 04:33 AM

I really hope its just the belts. I don't have the 80+ dollars for a new pulley. I suppose it isn't a good idea to drive the car I guess?

dannmarr 07-13-2006 05:52 AM

Try some belt dressing (spray).

n00b on demand 07-13-2006 06:44 AM

Thanks for the tip....where would I put it if I get belt dressing? I will be getting new belts anyway just because their old and I want to have some piece of mind. I have to look up how to replace the belts. Hopefully omar (bxsvx) can come over to help me out.

Earthworm 07-13-2006 11:47 AM

Remove both belts and check all the pulleys and tensioners for smoothness and noise. Also inspect the crank pulley to see if it is separating.

In my case the bearings for the tensioners both failed.

n00b on demand 07-13-2006 11:54 AM

Would that be expensive earthworm if that was my case too? I'm probably taking it into the shop tomorrow. When I started it up this morning there wasn't squealing but rattling or something....nothing seemed to be wobbling or moving abnormaly...it all looked normal. I dont know if bad belts could make those kinda noises other than squealing. :(

Earthworm 07-13-2006 12:28 PM

Do it yourself. You should always have a standard set of "SVX Wrenches" with you. (10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm :D)

n00b on demand 07-13-2006 01:44 PM

I do have a standard tool set. If I had another car to drive then I wouldn't mind taking this on by myself. The SVX is my only way of transportation right now and I need the car on the road ASAP. And being that I have no idea what im doing because I can't even find the instructions in the how-to documents i cant do it myself. I need pictures and stuff :D

It's Just Eric 07-13-2006 08:05 PM

Oh...ThatMeansYourCarIsTtalledAndYouShouldSellItTo MeFor37Dollars:p :D
No,ButCerially,ThisIsEasy.First,TakeOffThatPlastic CoveryThingy.StareAtTheBeltAssembly.
YoullNoticeThatTheresTheCrankPully,TheAlternator,P owerSteering,AcCondensor...AndThen
SomeOtherRandomOne.Basicly,TheRandomOneHasTwoBolts OnIt.OneIsLike8FeetLongAndGoes
Verticallyish,TheOtherIs...DarnIForget.Well,youllS eeIt.ActuallySomethingTellsMeItsInThe
MiddleOfTheWheel.Anywho,BasiclyYouHaveToLoostenThe SecondMentionedBolt,AndEither
TightenOrLoostenTheBigLongOne.TheLongOneIsActually AdjustingTheTension,WhileTheOther
OneLocksItIntoPlace.ItMayBeABitOfAPainToReachTheLo ckingBolt,ButOtherwiseThisIsAVery
EasyThingToDo.TheOtherBeltIsAdjustedASimilarWay,Bu tTheAlternatorIsThePartThatMoves.
IfYouStareAtItLongEnoughYoullSeeHowItWorks.

HopefullyIGotThatRight.HaventLookedUnderMyHoodForA While.JustBeGladYouNeverHadToDo
ThemOnAn89Caddy.IHadToSendInToNASAToFigureItOut,An dAllTheyRepliedWithWere
SpaceSchuttleSchematicsAndTheEndOfPi....UslessJunk ...
GoodLuck,HopefullyMyLack-Of-Space-BarDescriptionHelpedYouOutSome

n00b on demand 07-13-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Oh...ThatMeansYourCarIsTtalledAndYouShouldSellItTo MeFor37Dollars:p :D
No,ButCerially,ThisIsEasy.First,TakeOffThatPlastic CoveryThingy.StareAtTheBeltAssembly.
YoullNoticeThatTheresTheCrankPully,TheAlternator,P owerSteering,AcCondensor...AndThen
SomeOtherRandomOne.Basicly,TheRandomOneHasTwoBolts OnIt.OneIsLike8FeetLongAndGoes
Verticallyish,TheOtherIs...DarnIForget.Well,youllS eeIt.ActuallySomethingTellsMeItsInThe
MiddleOfTheWheel.Anywho,BasiclyYouHaveToLoostenThe SecondMentionedBolt,AndEither
TightenOrLoostenTheBigLongOne.TheLongOneIsActually AdjustingTheTension,WhileTheOther
OneLocksItIntoPlace.ItMayBeABitOfAPainToReachTheLo ckingBolt,ButOtherwiseThisIsAVery
EasyThingToDo.TheOtherBeltIsAdjustedASimilarWay,Bu tTheAlternatorIsThePartThatMoves.
IfYouStareAtItLongEnoughYoullSeeHowItWorks.

HopefullyIGotThatRight.HaventLookedUnderMyHoodForA While.JustBeGladYouNeverHadToDo
ThemOnAn89Caddy.IHadToSendInToNASAToFigureItOut,An dAllTheyRepliedWithWere
SpaceSchuttleSchematicsAndTheEndOfPi....UslessJunk ...
GoodLuck,HopefullyMyLack-Of-Space-BarDescriptionHelpedYouOutSome

Dude WTF is wrong with your space bar?!!?!:eek:

n00b on demand 07-14-2006 05:30 AM

HUGE problem :(

I started the car up as I was going to take it into the shop....and when I was about to pull out of the driveway when the car was warm there was smoke coming from the engine. Popped the hood and it smelled like burning plastic or something. The rattling noise sounded like it was coming from underneath the PS pump or around the area and the smoke was coming from the same area. I inspected a little more and this is what I found...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...mand/36950.JPG

I need someone to explain stuff to me. Where is the crank pulley located? Is it visable from this pic?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...mand/36951.jpg

n00b on demand 07-14-2006 05:34 AM

The car runs fine as it always has....just the noise and the smoke. There isn't any difference otherwise.

TomsSVX 07-14-2006 10:03 AM

dude, ur crank pulley is bad and seperating

Tom