The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leaky oil seal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14958)

DearPrudence 12-09-2003 09:00 PM

Leaky oil seal

My mechanic tells me my engine's got a leaky oil seal. He showed me where all the oil is, and it doesn't look TOO life-threatening. My car's got 109k on it.

My question is this: should I get this fixed IMMEDIATELY, or can I afford to put it off for a couple weeks?

Ron Mummert 12-09-2003 10:06 PM

Unless you're leaking a-quart-a-day, I'd put off fixing it until 2006.

Ron (oil leaks are badge of honor).

DearPrudence 12-09-2003 10:52 PM

PHEW!!!!

Thanks Ron!

I didn't think it was a major high priority, because I check my oil daily and I'm not seeing a noticeable drop in the oil level.

Now I won't have to feel guilty about putting that off. There are still FUN things I want to do with my car ~ like a loud noisy something in the trunk ;)

SubaSteevo 12-09-2003 11:21 PM

Re: PHEW!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by DearPrudence
There are still FUN things I want to do with my car ~ like a loud noisy something in the trunk ;)
I've tried, it's way too cramped back there to have any real fun....

...ooh wait, were you talking about a subwoofer? ;)

DearPrudence 12-09-2003 11:57 PM

No, but that's not a bad idea!

~:eek: ~

mohrds 12-10-2003 05:16 AM

oil leaks, schmoil leaks. Don't bother worrying about it. Instead put a little away every month for the "Oil Leak" fund and get it fixed when you have the money.

Just make sure you check your oil level more often.

Doug

DearPrudence 12-10-2003 12:50 PM

:D Thanks for all the advice! I was seriously stressed out about this because I JUST got the car.

Uncamitzi 12-10-2003 04:03 PM

Another SLC SVX!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by DearPrudence
:D Thanks for all the advice! I was seriously stressed out about this because I JUST got the car.
HI there! Perhaps belated..

svx_commuter 12-10-2003 06:52 PM

Hi Lisa :)

That oil leak will not be too bad, most likely, f you are not heavy on the gas pedal. However, if you like to smash the gas, then it may gush a lot more.

I hope you have a nice day. :)

DearPrudence 12-10-2003 11:07 PM

I try...

... to not be heavy on the gas; but that SVX has a mind of its own :p It seems to know that it was built for speed, and it just loves to show off :D

I check my oil daily, so I'm not going to worry about it as long as the oil level looks good & there aren't any puddles on the driveway.

Earthworm 12-11-2003 09:08 PM

Don't forget how important it is to have money to keep the SVX running properly. Only when you have additional money should it be spent on cosmetic things like stereos, clear lights, LED's, etc...

Where is the oil leaking from?

DearPrudence 12-11-2003 10:01 PM

David -

You're absolutely right. I just wasn't expecting all of this work. I am focusing on getting the car up to par mechanically before I do anything fun to it. It's plenty fun as-is ;)

I don't really know where the oil is leaking from. The car & I have a date with the mechanic tomorrow (to take care of high emissions), so I'll find out then.

sleepem 12-11-2003 10:13 PM

het's wheels

Hi Lisa

Just checked out het's Page and she's sweet. However her wheels are on the wrong sides of the car, just so ya know, they're directional!

Later

Sleepem

DearPrudence 12-11-2003 10:27 PM

Sleepem,

Thanks for the compliments & the heads-up.

I was detailing Het the other day, and when I was cleaning the wheels on the passenger side I noticed the 'L' on the wheels. I was alarmed, but obviously blew it off because I forgot about all it.

We're going to our mechanic tomorrow, so I'll ask them to get my wheels straightened out for me :rolleyes:

STORMINORMAN 12-12-2003 09:57 AM

You didn't describe the seal leak...

...location (main? rear? cam?, etc.) but I've had good results with a product called Auto-Rx for correcting leaks that are due to crud getting under the seal material. Nothing short of replacement will "cure" a split or cracked seal, but this stuff really works as advertized vis'-a-vis' engine cleaning and help with leaky seals/gaskets.

Try a Search on "Auto-Rx" for more info.

Cheers!:cool: