The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bleeding Brake System (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7987)

mattski 01-06-2003 12:31 PM

Bleeding Brake System

I am a firm believer that the brake system should be flushed with clean brake fluid every couple of years. I usually do it when I change pads. I have found that loosening the bleeding nipple, hooking up a hose, and letting gravity do the rest works for me. I used to have my wife depress the brake pedal while I opened the nipple, close the nipple, up with the pad, etc. The gravity method is much simpler to me and allows me to get my work done without getting anyone else involved.

Is there any downside to the gravity method?

Thanks,

Matt

Aredubjay 01-06-2003 12:52 PM

First of all, if you're going to slander the brake system by calling it a "Bleeding" brake system, you'll need to put this in the European or Down Under forums. :D

I'm not aware of any "downside" to the gravity method, aside from the "slowness" factor. As long as you keep an eye on the fluid and make sure you get absolutely NO air in the lines, there should be no problems, I wouldn't think.

mattski 01-06-2003 01:14 PM

Randy, thanks for the advice.

The slowness actually allows me to savor a beer for every wheel done.

I guess that I will have to deal with my wife regarding the "bleeding nipple" comment too.:D

Matt

Aredubjay 01-06-2003 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattski
Randy, thanks for the advice.

The slowness actually allows me to savor a beer for every wheel done.

I guess that I will have to deal with my wife regarding the "bleeding nipple" comment too.:D

Matt

With the rate of bleed during gravity, you could enjoy a Black 'n' Tan. Just don't pick up your brake fluid by mistake (But then, I guess that would look more like a tan 'n' black). :D

Don't get Kelli started again with the nipple comments. Corblimey!

mattski 01-06-2003 02:14 PM

Thankfully, Yuengling Black and Tan comes in glass bottles and is impossible to confuse with the plastic DOT 4 brake fluid.

Matt

Aredubjay 01-06-2003 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattski
Thankfully, Yuengling Black and Tan comes in glass bottles and is impossible to confuse with the plastic DOT 4 brake fluid.

Matt

AAARRRGGGHHHH! Pre-Mixed Black 'n' Tans!?!? Blasphemy!:D

I only say that because, here in Kentucky, we tend to use mason jars for draining brake fluid and for "libation" containers. :D:D:D

svx_commuter 01-06-2003 04:55 PM

Matt,

I have made up a pressure bleed sytem that works well.:D

ensteele 01-07-2003 01:39 AM

Would you like to share the design, or did you purchase it? :confused: :)

svx_commuter 01-07-2003 07:12 AM

Well I made this thing.:)

I got a used slavage master cyl cap from a legacy. They are all the same as far as I can tell. Fits right on the SVX. I cut out the the middle of the blatter and made sure the cap would seal.
Then I got a container, a used hard plastic juice bottle with a large diameter lid. Actually two of these containers.

I purchased small diameter tubing from Sears harware and brass barbed fittings to connect everything. Clear tubing suitable for the fluid and smallest ID I could get to work with the fittings.

I used an air valve from an old MTB inner tube and bike pump for pressure.

The cap gets connected to a hose that goes to the bottom of the tank with the brake fluid tank. Also a hose from the inside of the cap to the bottom of the master cyl for the fluid to flow thru and not splash on the surface. The fluid will flow thru this hose into the master cyl.

The brake fluid tank gets connected with a hose to the air tank. That air hose does not go under the fluid level in the fluid tank.

Pumping up the air tank pushes the fluid through the system.:)

Are you still interested?

lee 01-07-2003 04:01 PM

slightly O/T

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an article I collected from somewhere - would give credit if I could remember, but...getting old I guess. It's from the Subaru End Wrench - probably stole it from their site.

Aredubjay 01-07-2003 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Well I made this thing.:)

Henceforth, let this "thing" be known as "Das Frankenbleeder!" IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! BWAHAHAHA!! :D

ensteele 01-07-2003 04:10 PM

Randy - stop drinking that!!!!:rolleyes: :p

Aredubjay 01-07-2003 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93
Randy - stop drinking that!!!!:rolleyes: :p
Why? It's safe. I shook it and it beads. I've burned it, and not a hint of orange in the flame. And, best of all, it was 190 Proof . . . at last check. :D:D:D

Uncamitzi 01-07-2003 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Henceforth, let this "thing" be known as "Das Frankenbleeder!" IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! BWAHAHAHA!! :D

Uh.... wouldn't that be..."Der Frandenbleeder"?;)

ensteele 01-07-2003 07:02 PM

If it is that safe to drink, then let me have a swig of it. :D :D