The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear Bearings Installed...Question of Quality (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60698)

WYOSVX 10-11-2012 09:52 AM

Rear Bearings Installed...Question of Quality

I bought NTN rear bearings for my SVX, the passenger side rear was pretty loud.

I cleaned them and re-packed with lithium-based, high temp bearing grease.

Stupid thing: While blowing out one set, I got the race (cage) spinning pretty fast, making a cool whirring sound for about a second, then it exploded. Lucky I didn't lose an eye. My bad. Expensive fun. Ordered a replacement.

Ran out of time, want to drive my car, so took it to my mechanic. I've found him to be highly qualified, over the years; at least for our small town.

He had their assistant do the job. He broke a set during install, something about over-torqueing, wheel not turning, backed off the torque- too late. They had the printout I gave them to tell them about the SVX bearing oddities and I made a point of telling them before without being the know-it-all shade-tree mechanic. Judging by the greasy smudges, they read it. Again, they're good mechanics. I probably would have screwed it up, too, then had to wait till I had more time to fix my screw-up again. They paid for the bearings.

I think AP Warehouse is okay with replacing a broken set, as it was installed by a qualified shop.

Here's the question:

NTN bearings have plastic holders (cage) for the bearings. My mechanic said that, at least with GM, they went with those over metal to make them quiet but they haven't found them to last as long as metal. He likes metal.

I talked to AP Warehouse, they weren't sure which might be metal, but, at least, Timken were plastic. That leaves Beck-Arnley and NSK, that I know of.

Any opinions? Metal vs. plastic?
Any personal experience?

dragoontwo 10-11-2012 10:40 AM

Re: Rear Bearings Installed...Question of Quality

The holders I believe are called the cage. The races are what the bearing actually rolls on, inner and outer.

WYOSVX 10-13-2012 08:18 PM

Thanks! Made slight corrections.

Any opinions about bearings?

I bought the NTN because they're made in Japan.

svxfiles 10-13-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYOSVX (Post 713594)
Thanks! Made slight corrections.Any opinions about bearings?

I bought the NTN because they're made in Japan

I try to use only Subaru bearings, unless the customer objects.

Recently I replaced a rear wheel bearing on a Subaru, (not a SVX) and the bearing was BALL BEARING!!!!!
Not a roller bearing!
The customer could only speculate that a bodyshop "went cheap" on a repair years before.
Not his call, not his choise!

WYOSVX 10-14-2012 08:37 AM

Wow! Someone must have robbed them off a bicycle. :)

At least mine weren't ball bearings. I'm hoping that, riding in high quality grease, my roller bearings will last pretty well with plastic cage.

trophy956 10-14-2012 11:40 AM

Impreza and Forester are built with ball bearing rear wheel bearings ,the replacement is a 90's style Legacy bearing

dannmarr 10-14-2012 08:42 PM

Torque and grease is important. My last mechanic replaced the same rear bearing 3 times because it failed. I got tired of this, so the last time I replace it myself. I made sure to repack it and torqued it to specs. I've been driving it for many years now.:)

svxfiles 10-14-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophy956 (Post 713648)
Impreza and Forester are built with ball bearing rear wheel bearings ,the replacement is a 90's style Legacy bearing

The ball bearing wheel bearing that I replaced was from a 2002 Impreza.
Tonight I replaces ANOTHER 2002 Impreza wheel bearing, and, yes, it was ball bearings, and the replacement, (National) was roller bearing.

trophy956 10-15-2012 06:09 PM

never repack a factory bearing ,it voids any warranty ,they come pregrease and run

SVXMAN2001 10-15-2012 07:13 PM

Trophy my friend, with that kind of advice you will be replacing wheel bearings often in your SVX. It's been proven time and again that the shipping grease on OEM SVX bearings is just that, not lubricating grease.

dannmarr 10-15-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophy956 (Post 713776)
never repack a factory bearing ,it voids any warranty ,they come pregrease and run

My mechanic had that same mentality, that's why my bearings failed three times! He wouldn't listen.