The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   rear bushings clunk (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50606)

subeman90 06-13-2009 08:43 AM

rear bushings clunk

so i did the 20 min mod and new RSB bushings in the rear and now I have this horrible clunk. Is this normal with the 20 min mod (more of a rigid mount type of thing) or is it a poly bushing issue thing or is there another issue? I'm not an idiot here I know how to work on a car so I don't think it is my skills lacking so is this normal or ??????????

I got the rear bushings from Summit using the PN that is in another thread here somewhere. I reused the factory "U" mounts but I have to say that the bar doesn't feel that solidly mounted. Opinions?

dannmarr 06-13-2009 08:49 AM

Re: rear bushings clunk

How about some photos?

subeman90 06-13-2009 09:21 AM

photos of what?

svxfiles 06-13-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 605056)
so i did the 20 min mod and new RSB bushings in the rear and now I have this horrible clunk. Is this normal with the 20 min mod (more of a rigid mount type of thing) or is it a poly bushing issue thing or is there another issue? I'm not an idiot here I know how to work on a car so I don't think it is my skills lacking so is this normal or ??????????

I got the rear bushings from Summit using the PN that is in another thread here somewhere. I reused the factory "U" mounts but I have to say that the bar doesn't feel that solidly mounted. Opinions?

You should use the brackets that came with the mounts, and a bigger nut and bolt.
8mm are stock, I use 10mms.

svxfiles 06-13-2009 09:40 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/41782.jpg

SoCal LS-L 06-13-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 605061)
photos of what?

Your cat in a Starfleet uniform :lol:

subeman90 06-13-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 605062)
You should use the brackets that came with the mounts, and a bigger nut and bolt.
8mm are stock, I use 10mms.

Great info! Thanks a lot!!!!!!! I will get some hardware and go to town on them asap and hopefully get this clunking under control.

Atleast I got the right bushings...(whew):lol:

When you say 8 vs. 10 do you mean length or ???

dannmarr 06-13-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

photos of what?
Photos of the sky.:p Photos of what this thread is about- the bushings. Remember?:D

svxfiles 06-13-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 605149)
Great info! Thanks a lot!!!!!!! I will get some hardware and go to town on them asap and hopefully get this clunking under control.

Atleast I got the right bushings...(whew):lol:

When you say 8 vs. 10 do you mean length or ???

Diameter.
A bolt is classified by the diameter of the threaded shaft of the bolt.
On a Subaru a 6mm bolt uses a 10 mm head, and usually
an 8 mm bolt has a 12 mm head, and
a 10 mm bolt has a 14 mm head.:)
25 mm long will be fine.

scottsubarus 06-14-2009 07:02 AM

What "mod" had been done that created the clunk?

Mine has a rapid clunking sound slow speeds, rough roads along with terrible suspension squeak.

Has NEW rear strut mounts, but didn't change either noise.

subeman90 06-14-2009 12:25 PM

are your sway bar bushings any good?

subeman90 06-14-2009 06:18 PM

well I went out and put the U brackets that came with the bushings on. I used the hardware (nuts and bolts) that came with the 15 min mod stuff. The bolts are grade 5 so it isn't like they are junk and they worked great!

Anyhooo long story short I spent 1 hour in the yard under the car (no lift for us hard core types) :lol: and I got the job done and my clunk is gone. Sweet!

Thanks Tom for the advise and hopefully any of you folks who want to do some updating of your suspension see this and don't make the same mistake as I did.

scottsubarus 06-14-2009 07:21 PM

I spray lubed anything that was rubber, or any kind of mount just to see if noise would go away...and it didn't.

It was frustrating, as I could lay under car, and pull down on the bumper and make the squeek happen while I sprayed and noise never went away.

kwren 06-14-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 605154)
Photos of the sky.:p Photos of what this thread is about- the bushings. Remember?:D

I was thinking... Maybe photos of Summit?

Keith:cool: