The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Check Engine Light w/ Errors Codes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18261)

Chiketkd 04-26-2004 09:04 AM

Check Engine Light w/ Errors Codes

Okay, I got my SVX over the weekend which had been sitting idle on a dealer's lot for 90+ days prior. My 'check engine' light came on yesterday and I took her into AutoZone this morning to have the codes read. They were:

P0325 - knock sensor
P0748 - electrical??

My engine isn't knocking and I had the technician look her over to be sure. He thinks it could be caused from the car sittinng idle for so long (gas goes bad?). Anyway, as luck would have it, when I started her up again, the check engine light was off...

Am I OK or do I need to get some parts replaced?

Thanks,

Chike

SVX-FF 04-26-2004 11:26 AM

Chike did the auto parts store reset your codes? I would drive it and see what happens. It should not hurt the car or motor. Add some drygas if the car was sitting long and give her a gas treatment.
If there was a problem with the knock sensor it should come back on. The ECU will should not let anything serious happen to your engine.

Steve

Chiketkd 04-26-2004 11:53 AM

Steve,

I'm not sure if they reset the codes, but the car runs just fine. The gas that was in the car from the dealer is now completely gone after I filled up this morning.

I have already added some fuel injection cleaner to the current tank to hopefully clear the fuel injectors out.

I'm almost wondering if the dealer was being 'cheap' or 'ignorant' and might have added 87 octane by mistake. :confused:

-Chike

SVX-FF 04-26-2004 12:27 PM

Chike

If the dealer was cheap, most likly they were, and the problem does not go away the ECU will need to be reset so that it can relearn. Leave the car's neg terminal unpluged over night. The ECU will relearn the fuel system.

It sound like you will be fine and that you might not have to reset the ECU. Also go hask the autoparts store to clear your codes. I think you have and OBDII system, right?
If not you can check and clear your own codes. See this web site for more info... http://svx-iw.com/

Steve

Chiketkd 04-26-2004 12:44 PM

Thanks Steve. I got the codes cleared at AutoZone! She's running perfectly again...

Darn dealers, I bet they were being cheap!:mad:

Chiketkd 04-26-2004 01:32 PM

BTW Steve, thanks for that website link. It has TONS of great info!!!:D

Tim-H 04-26-2004 03:06 PM

Leave the car's neg terminal unpluged over night. The ECU will relearn the fuel system. Am I wrong or shouldn't you leave the positive unplugged instead, or both. Leaving only the neg unplugged would cause damage wouldn't it?

deruvian 04-26-2004 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim-H
Leave the car's neg terminal unpluged over night. The ECU will relearn the fuel system. Am I wrong or shouldn't you leave the positive unplugged instead, or both. Leaving only the neg unplugged would cause damage wouldn't it?
I would be interested in knowing if this would do any damage. I left my negative unplugged for three days, and my battery just died about one day afterwords. Coincidence? Anyone?

oab_au 04-26-2004 05:39 PM

Quote:

It does not matter which terminal is opened, for at least 10 minuits. The electrons don't care, they stop flowing regardless, and the memory will clear to zero.

Some say to remove both terminals, and touch them together. I don't recomend this, as it could be misconstrued, to cause a bit of electric welding :confused:. As the power feed on the ECU/TCU are protected by diodes, this methoid can't drain the memory.

Harvey. ;)

Chiketkd 04-26-2004 10:03 PM

We'll see if it hurts my car's battery or not. The 'check engine' light came on again when I was driving home so I've left the negative terminal unplugged overnight.

In the morning, I'll stop by AutoZone and by a set of Grease Lightning additives for my car: Fuel System Cleaner, Engine Treatment and Synthetic Transmission Treatment. I figure preventitive maintenance is always better in the long run...

-Chike
Quote:

svx_commuter 04-27-2004 10:18 AM

Removing fuse #14 from the drivers side foot box does the same thing. :)

Chiketkd 04-27-2004 10:25 AM

What is fuse #14 for?
Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Removing fuse #14 from the drivers side foot box does the same thing. :)

svx_commuter 04-27-2004 10:38 AM

Oh that circuit provides the power to the ECU and TCU. :)