The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Alternator Replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24056)

simonton 01-24-2005 10:18 PM

Alternator Replacement

I was having electrical issues for a while and thought that my stereo was draining too much from the battery, but it turns out that the alternator was failing. The other day it completely went out and left me stranded in the middle of the road...

So now I just was wondering how I go about replacing the alternator. Do I need a specific kind of alternator?

Or can I upgrade to a better alternator?

And where can I go to get a good one for a good price?

I think that since I'll be adding a lot more amplifiers for my speakers that I should really try to get an alternator that charges the battery the fastest... if there even is a "better alternator"

lee 01-25-2005 05:55 AM

you need to do a search....

Beav has explained how to DIY rebuild.

Several others have gone for a higher output alternator.

Look in the yellow pages for an auto electric shop to get a local rebuild done, or check your parts house - CarQuest used to handle the unit, not sure about the chains, i.e., Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc., they tend to only sell the faster moving items.

There's always the dealer.....Stock is 95 amps.

SVX-FF 01-25-2005 07:05 PM

I got mine from Advance Auto Parts. The part number is 14456. It cost me about $175.00. The price will depend on your area. It also came with a lifetime warrenty. Here are the Spec.

Napa also has them too but no high outputs that I know of.

Steve

P.S. I have had no problems with mine.

lee 01-25-2005 08:12 PM

Steve,

that's a neat spec sheet. I don't think I've ever seen one on an alternator before (I lead a sheltered life).

So, if I'm reading it right, you're running on battery at idle. I was always under the impression that higher output alternators produced less current at low RPM. DO you knowif that's true or just some BS I have stuck in my head for some reason?

SVX-FF 01-26-2005 04:06 PM

This is not a high output alternator. It is a stock replacement one. I would agree that a high output would produce more at idle then stock. My lights dim a little at a stop light with this alt. when the rpm are at 750.
I am also running a 1000 watt amp, under car neon kit. I have had no problems with it.

Steve

benebob 01-26-2005 05:56 PM

Take it to a local starter/alt rebuild shop. My cost me $125 and I got to keep the same one. Took them about 2 days. They told me they wouldn't do a higher output rebuild for this model alt because they can only get 1/2 the parts that are needed for a higher amp alt. The rest would be the same and would definately wear out much quicker. Food for thought.

simonton 01-26-2005 09:52 PM

ok,thanks; so tell me this:

when i get it all working; i'll be putting in three speaker amps, with a total of 800w between all speakers and sub...

So should i get a stock replacement/rebuild and get the same old alt back,
or should i get a brand new high output alternator?

benebob 01-27-2005 06:00 AM

Not a clue. It depends on how much power the stuff will draw. Good amps don't draw a whole lot from my understanding.

I doubt you'd be able to get a new high output. It probably will be a rebuilt/reman one that they simply replace the regulator with a higher amp one and rewind it. Exactly what my shop wouldn't do.