The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Interior Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Different steering wheels (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49166)

WestCoastSVX 02-18-2009 04:05 PM

Different steering wheels

I know a few SVXes now have different updated steering wheels, specifically from other more current Subarus. I know there are a couple WRX Momo transplants, as well as I think and Outback and maybe some others. Most of them look pretty good as the stock SVX steering wheel has that bloated look most of the early airbag cars did.

Just curious how people went about it, and beyond that, if anyone actually has one with a working airbag? Will the more modern style airbag work plug n play with the SVX wiring, sensors, etc?

redlightningsvx 02-18-2009 04:16 PM

Re: Different steering wheels

I don't think any other airbags will work when swapping steering wheels as you need a certain voltage to pop it when the time comes. I'm sure if someone was electronicly inclined they maybe able to wire up some sort of resistor to pop the bag.

STeeL25T 02-19-2009 06:28 AM

I'm currently planning to swap to a wheel without an air bag in the future, like some form of Sparco or Momo or something. If a WRX wheels fits, am I to assume that a quick release/hub adapter will fit an SVX? I know at least one person has done this but I think they modified a DSM one to fit.

LetItSnow 02-19-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 588051)
I don't think any other airbags will work when swapping steering wheels as you need a certain voltage to pop it when the time comes. I'm sure if someone was electronicly inclined they maybe able to wire up some sort of resistor to pop the bag.

I wouldn't touch any bit of this. The first reason is that any airbags you might install are not designed around the current cabin. The second is that the necessary research would be dangerous or expensive. The third is that if it's set overly sensitive, you could wind up with a deployed airbag on the highway, or who knows what.

It's bad enough that we don't have an established resistor value to replace the airbag to trick the light, anyway.

I'd like to sort out how to remove the charge from my WRX wheel's airbag, though...

Mike621 02-19-2009 09:26 AM

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...y/DSCN2178.jpg

2002 Outback Limited wheel with '03 WRX Airbag. The airbag is not connected. I have covered the filter for the light inside the cluster, so it appears to not be illuminated, even though it is on. The clock spring required a small adjustment for proper fit.

WestCoastSVX 02-19-2009 12:28 PM

Looks great Mike!

So why the mix n match with the airbag? Is the center of the 02 OBL really fugly or something? :confused:

Mike621 02-19-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 588180)
Looks great Mike!

So why the mix n match with the airbag? Is the center of the 02 OBL really fugly or something? :confused:

The airbag for the Limited LLBean is different than the normal Legacy/Outback Steering wheel and airbag. I would have needed to find a Baja airbag or one from an LLBean Specifically and this would have been much more difficult. The only different would have been the absence of the MOMO logo and the presence of a subtle "SUBARU" across it. Honestly, the MOMO has grown on me. I really like the way it looks.

WestCoastSVX 02-19-2009 04:19 PM

Oh duh, I didn't even consider that you acquired this steering wheel off a car with a popped airbag. I see what you are saying now, you had the exact wheel you wanted, minus airbag, so the challenge was the find an airbag that fit and wasn't yet popped. :)

No complaints on the Momo logo though. That gives you extra bragging rights anyway! :cool:

Alcyone 03-23-2009 12:59 AM

not that im an expert in this field
but what about those of us who wanna swap steering wheels, but have audio controls... and want to keep them

ensteele 03-23-2009 10:49 PM

You are out of luck. :o The only thing I would suggest is to put a wheel cover on it. Wheel Skins in CA has them and they have lots of different colors to choose from. :)

Alcyone 03-23-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 593567)
You are out of luck. :o The only thing I would suggest is to put a wheel cover on it. Wheel Skins in CA has them and they have lots of different colors to choose from. :)

thats a shame. my wheel isnt that beat up tho, i'd rather keep it and the buttons, than cover it at this point

however, would anyone know what the chances are of retaining the usability of the buttons (on/off, am/fm, volume) when switching to an aftermarket headunit?

ensteele 03-24-2009 08:05 AM

They will not work on an after market head unit. They will only work on the stock unit. The stock unit will not pick up the US/CA frequencies unless a modification is done. :o

LetItSnow 03-24-2009 08:33 AM

You'd like to think that a certain amount of wire surgery would make it fly, yeh?

RoughSilver92 03-24-2009 10:41 AM

It can be done with a stalk adapter and a h/u that is made for it.
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Kee...ters&id=367370
So in reality, you could use any steering wheel with controls that an adapter is offered for that will fit the svx with a compatible h/u.
Personally I don't like the look of buttons on a wheel, and most aftermarket head units have a remote, but to each his own.

Alcyone 03-24-2009 11:37 AM

oh i know all about the band difference between japan and north america, believe me
driving 14 hours straight will sear that into your head

i myself never really "got" the point of having a remote. i mean, if you cant just move your arm and press a button...
plus its distracting. at least the wheel ones are pretty concise and somewhat intuitive
i'd likely switch the am/fm button for something more useful like Source, or Mute or something
but i think it would be pretty sweet to jimmy it up to function, at LEAST for the volume or somethin