The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT -- Bad Air (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3125)

Aredubjay 03-13-2002 02:28 PM

OT -- Bad Air

I just came across this article on Web MD. Some of our members live in cities with the worst air in the country. Here's the "abbreviated" article:

The grading system is based on the number of days an area has ozone levels that are unhealthy for sensitive people, unhealthy for all people, or very unhealthy for all people. A score of 3.3 is a failing grade -- but places on the 10-worst list are far worse:

1. Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County, Calif.

2. Bakersfield, Calif.

3. Fresno, Calif.

4. Visalia-Tulare-Porterville, Calif.

5. Houston-Galveston-Brazoria, Texas

6. Atlanta, Ga.

7. Washington, D.C.-Baltimore, Md.

8. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, N.C.-S.C.

9. Knoxville, Tenn.

Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, Pa.-Del.-N.J. -- tied with Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C.

For people who like better air, there were 12 metropolitan areas without any bad-air days at all: Bellingham, Wash.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Des Moines, Iowa; and Duluth, Minn. got perfect scores two years in a row.

The rest of the cities making the good-breathing list were:

Fargo-Moorhead, N.D.-Minn.
Flagstaff, Ariz.-Utah
Honolulu, Hawaii
Laredo, Texas
Lincoln, Neb.
McAllen Edinburg-Mission, Texas
Salinas, Calif.
Spokane, Wash.

But a small town is no guarantee of safe air. Small cities like Lancaster, Pa. and Redding, Calif. also have smog-filled air.

Green1995SVX 03-13-2002 02:49 PM

I had no idea lancaster's air was bad.... hmmm. I couldnt imagine what from...

-Mike

ensteele 03-13-2002 03:10 PM

Yea Bellingham

Yea Bellingham Washington. That is where I work every day, and the air is better where I live. :D :D :D
I guess the rain here does something good.:rolleyes: Thanks for the report.

Mr. Pockets 03-13-2002 03:16 PM

I would venture a guess that regional environmental conditions have just as much to do with air quality as actual pollution.

In other words, a garbage fire on Mt. Washington (www.mountwashington.org) is unlikely to produce bad air locally. :)

SVX Novice 03-13-2002 03:53 PM

Air in Lancaster

The reason the air is so bad in Lancaster is because of those damn farmers and their cow manure.... not to mention the chicken manure.... or the pig manure.... man what a place to live

Phoenix_3737 11-11-2004 10:23 PM

Re: OT -- Bad Air

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Laredo, Texas

WOOOO!!! Laredo!!!:D

my svx breaths in nice clean air

NikFu S. 11-11-2004 10:47 PM

On a layover into Dallas, I could see Houston in the distance enveloped in some smokey haze.
Man I am never going there.

Rotorflyr 11-11-2004 11:58 PM

Phoenix

You do realize this thread was Two years old before your post brought it back from the dead, right?
Things may have (and probably did) change(d) and your SVX isn't breathing as clean a gulp of air as you think....:p

NikFu S. 11-12-2004 04:27 PM

Holy Toledo I didn't even realize. Bad penguin:mad:

:D

dcarrb 11-15-2004 06:29 AM

Anytime I drive south from the mountains I notice Atlanta's stark dome of yellow haze. And what really bothers me is, it's moving closer.

dcb

Noir 11-15-2004 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcarrb
Anytime I drive south from the mountains I notice Atlanta's stark dome of yellow haze. And what really bothers me is, it's moving closer.

dcb

I see it everyday Darrell. Does seem to have a nasty look to it doesn't it?

When I had to go to our Jacksonville office, I nearly choked on the clear air. Walked in and saw one of my coworkers and I fell onto the floor. When questioned what was wrong I told them the air was too clean and that I wasn't use to it. :p

SVXRide 11-15-2004 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I had no idea lancaster's air was bad.... hmmm. I couldnt imagine what from...

-Mike

Cow-generated methane emissions?:D
-Bill