The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Throttle Position Sensor??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50609)

budbaer 06-13-2009 11:05 AM

Throttle Position Sensor???

I have a problem that started yesterday. My 92 SVX is shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 3000 rpms. I notice that if I back off the throttle to where I am barely pushing it, the car shifts at a lower rpm. I was thinking that it could possibly be the Throttle Position Sensor. I was wondering what others with a little more experience might think. Also, Does anyone know where it's located, what it looks like and is it serviceable or do I need a new one? Thanks in advance for the help.

SoCal LS-L 06-13-2009 01:45 PM

Re: Throttle Position Sensor???

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer (Post 605071)
I have a problem that started yesterday. My 92 SVX is shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 3000 rpms. I notice that if I back off the throttle to where I am barely pushing it, the car shifts at a lower rpm. I was thinking that it could possibly be the Throttle Position Sensor. I was wondering what others with a little more experience might think. Also, Does anyone know where it's located, what it looks like and is it serviceable or do I need a new one? Thanks in advance for the help.

Its in-line with the butterfly valve, which your throttle cables are connected to. You can test it using a multi-meter to see if the resistance values are off before committing to buying a new one. The procedure is in the online service manual, you can find the link to it in my signature, or there may be a HOW-TO in that section of this site.

Trevor 06-13-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 605095)
Its in-line with the butterfly valve, which your throttle cables are connected to. You can test it using a multi-meter to see if the resistance values are off before committing to buying a new one. The procedure is in the online service manual, you can find the link to it in my signature, or there may be a HOW-TO in that section of this site.

Go to the how too section here, where there is detailed information regarding testing and setting. The setting is important.

longassname 06-14-2009 07:36 AM

Is it shifting normally just at a higher rpm than you are used to or is it starting to shift at a lower rpm and flaring and taking longer to complete the shift?

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer (Post 605071)

budbaer 06-20-2009 01:33 PM

It wasn't the TPS. I finally have become a member of the SVX tranny failure club. It gave out completely and became a 4000 lb. paper weight. It's being upgraded to a 4.44, I can't wait. Thanks for the help. Financially I wish it was a TPS but, I will enjoy the faster tranny more than I would a new TPS.

aust92pearl 06-20-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 605185)
is it starting to shift at a lower rpm and flaring and taking longer to complete the shift?

that sounds like what my car has been doing lately but its always been pretty temperamental anyways

AyeJaye 06-20-2009 06:17 PM

How long does the tranny have once it starts flaring like that?

longassname 06-21-2009 10:41 AM

Just fyi: you can get a partial rebuild from me for $999 that is upgraded to shift lightning fast and not fail again. It would be a much stronger much faster transmisison for your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer (Post 605987)
It wasn't the TPS. I finally have become a member of the SVX tranny failure club. It gave out completely and became a 4000 lb. paper weight. It's being upgraded to a 4.44, I can't wait. Thanks for the help. Financially I wish it was a TPS but, I will enjoy the faster tranny more than I would a new TPS.