The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Gas Rant!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44451)

subi-crosser 04-23-2008 08:36 PM

Gas Rant!!!

My car is running great, Fresh oil, good tires properly inflated, new 'big buck' plugs, fresh trans service, etc, etc, etc,

I did a road trip yesterday. When I ran the numbers, I came up with a (1) as the FIRST number!! LESS than 20 MPG on a car that ran FINE!! HIGHWAY!! On mid grade!! I was so depressed that I didn't even finish.
The last road trip, I got over 24 mpg on 87 octane. I did crawl under the car to look for a LEAK!!

The tank is full right now, but I have dumped $80. hard earned over the last 5 days, and traveled just over 200 MILES!!! That means that the 200 miles cost me $50. IN LOUSY gas!! The pitiful mileage came out of a Sunoco pump!
I went to Sunoco because I heard that they only use 'domestic' oil and add ethenol. WELL, If it knocks 5 mpg+ out of my car, I guess that I don't NEED to buy that crap any more!!
I USED to get 28 hiway on 87 octane BEFORE I started watching tire pressure, slowing down, putting slick stuff in the drivetrain, etc.
( and that was with a bad head gasket!!)
The car has recieved over $2,000 worth of repairs/maintenance over the last 5 months and is more dependable and runs better than EVER!!!

The ONLY factor is the quality of the gas!!
Wife and daughter are mad at me because I don't want to burn $100. worth of lousey gas to go to the granddaughter's 3rd birthday party. It will be a 400 mile DAY trip. I offered to send the 'gas' money with a card and wait till the 'boycot' makes those 'heartle$$ ba$tard$' LOWER the price so people will BUY gas again!

I really would like to go to the birthday party, but I really DON'T want to buy garbage at inflated prices to do it!!

GRRRR!!!!
Horror stories, anyone???

Crazy_pilot 04-23-2008 08:47 PM

I got 27.5 MPG on the 1,300+ miles I drove to and from Reading 9, so no horror stories from me.:o

Subix 04-23-2008 08:47 PM

I apologize if I run this thread OT slightly but what is with everyone (ok, not everyone.. but I notice quite a few here do after reading through some threads) pushing 87 octane in an engine which is rated to have 92?

Is the $5 saved really worth it or is it just me? I know it adds up but gas isn't cheap anyways so... :confused:

Speedklix 04-23-2008 08:50 PM

I fill up EVEYTIME i leave my parents for just that reason.. it is always few cents more, but NO ethenol... which shaves 8-13 mpg on my legacy depending on the situation :eek: I can't believe eveyone just "lets it go" :rolleyes:

Speedklix 04-23-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 543826)
I apologize if I run this thread OT slightly but what is with everyone (ok, not everyone.. but I notice quite a few here do after reading through some threads) pushing 87 octane in an engine which is rated to have 92?

Is the $5 saved really worth it or is it just me? I know it adds up but gas isn't cheap anyways so... :confused:

Is the 2.5 really 92 :confused: I know the newer series is, but I thought the old one was regular :o
...have deff have put plenty of reg in without issue:eek:

....but still, the big complaint here should be ethenol, I'M SOOO SICK OF THAT BS!

subi-crosser 04-23-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 543825)
I got 27.5 MPG on the 1,300+ miles I drove to and from Reading 9, so no horror stories from me.:o

Our gas comes out of (2) different trucks. The same guy ownes BOTH companies! Those 2 companies dump ALL the gas that is sold in our area.
Since his daddy bought the 'other' company that sold gas here, and turned that company over to him, I have not gotten over 26 mpg in ANY car, no matter what I do to eeek more mileage!

If I fill up down state, It seems to make a differance of 3 mpg, but I only get there 4 times a year.

Crazy_pilot 04-23-2008 09:08 PM

I bought gas at a department store that has it's own gas station before I left home, got a half tank at a Hess in Syracuse, about 3/4 tank at a something or other in Morgantown when I left, a tank at a Mobil 1 on I-84 in New York, and a tank at another Mobil 1 on I-90.

subi-crosser 04-23-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 543829)
Is the 2.5 really 92 :confused: I know the newer series is, but I thought the old one was regular :o
...have deff have put plenty of reg in without issue:eek:

....but still, the big complaint here should be ethenol, I'M SOOO SICK OF THAT BS!

MY 2.5(s) are rated at 28 MPG on 87 octane. I USED to get 28!! Now it;s more like 22. I have seen 15- mpg when I don't get out of the city!!

I MAINTAIN my cars!! If I feel a 'shudder' it is in for repairs! I NEVER see carbon smoke from my tailpipes, I plug in the engine heaters in cold weather, I have NEVER heard a 'miss' in my engines. I'm ready to put the Ross 10 speed on the 'ready' list and use cars for rainy days!!

Subix 04-23-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 543835)
MY 2.5(s) are rated at 28 MPG on 87 octane. I USED to get 28!! Now it;s more like 22. I have seen 15- mpg when I don't get out of the city!!

I MAINTAIN my cars!! If I feel a 'shudder' it is in for repairs! I NEVER see carbon smoke from my tailpipes, I plug in the engine heaters in cold weather, I have NEVER heard a 'miss' in my engines. I'm ready to put the Ross 10 speed on the 'ready' list and use cars for rainy days!!

My Impreza started knocking hard and I feared the worst. Somehow the thought of cheapo gas came across my mind and surely enough, I went down filled up with premium and the knocking went away. Shoddy gas station it was where I filled up with to get the knocking from... never go there again.

Speedklix 04-23-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 543835)
I'm ready to put the Ross 10 speed on the 'ready' list and use cars for rainy days!!

I'm noticing more motorcycles in the parkinglot at work... can't yet tell if it is the MPGs or the great weather we've been having... 85 and sunny again :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 543836)
My Impreza started knocking hard and I feared the worst. Somehow the thought of cheapo gas came across my mind and surely enough, I went down filled up with premium and the knocking went away. Shoddy gas station it was where I filled up with to get the knocking from... never go there again.

:lol: yeah, I never noticed an issue... didn't even bother to look for the sticker... just always put regular in the mid-late 90's 2.5s :)

Sir. Nate 04-23-2008 09:28 PM

Gas prices have risen a little over the last 30 years. However, the value of the dollar is the lowest it's ever been.

subi-crosser 04-23-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 543837)
I'm noticing more motorcycles in the parkinglot at work... can't yet tell if it is the MPGs or the great weather we've been having... 85 and sunny again :cool:

:lol: yeah, I never noticed an issue... didn't even bother to look for the sticker... just always put regular in the mid-late 90's 2.5s :)

Our mechanic has the longest commute. He rides his BMW scooter when it's snowing(a little bit) and raining cats and dogs!! He only drives his car if he needs to pick up parts or it's 15 degrees!!

subi-crosser 04-23-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir. Nate (Post 543839)
Gas prices have risen a little over the last 30 years. However, the value of the dollar is the lowest it's ever been.

When I got my drivers lic, I had a car that got 25 mpg and gas was .24 CENTS!! Now I'm getting 19 MPG on a car that advertised 28 and the damned stuff is close to $4.00 per!!!

My 25 mpg car had 8 cylenders and would run the speedo out of 'numbers' at will!!! Culture shock.....

Speedklix 04-23-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 543842)
When I got my drivers lic, I had a car that got 25 mpg and gas was .24 CENTS!!

My first fill up cost me I think it was $.92 per gallon... and I don't think of that as ancient history. I really can't remember the year though... 96/97 :confused:

Then again, my cousin corrected me the other day when "last summer" (2003) was 5 years ago! ...the years are just flying by now, i mean that is 1/2 a decade that was gone like "yesterday" :WTF:

subi-crosser 04-23-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 543844)
My first fill up cost me I think it was $.92 per gallon... and I don't think of that as ancient history. I really can't remember the year though... 96/97 :confused:

Then again, my cousin corrected me the other day when "last summer" (2003) was 5 years ago! ...the years are just flying by now, i mean that is 1/2 a decade that was gone like "yesterday" :WTF:

Next time you are here, I will show you a car I bought in april of 1972. I sold the v-8 that got 25 mpg to my brother so I could get the $100. I needed to buy the 61 Ford convertable! 36 years later, it still sits in my garage. I blow the cobwebs off every few years, but she will be here till I'm GONE from this planet!

She used to eat .30 cent hightest, now she eats 89 octane with 2 stroke oil added so the valves don't burn up. ( makes a 15 mph differance on the big mountain)