The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Warranties (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9616)

Andy 03-28-2003 02:34 PM

O/T Warranties

I am trying to compare warranty terms on different manufacturers around the world. In theory they should all be the same, but I doubt if they are.

In the UK, most manufacturers now have a 3 year warrranty, but Hyundai have recently started to give a 5 year warranty.

Mr. Pockets 03-28-2003 02:43 PM

A few manufacturers offer 10-year warranties here in the US. Hyundai's, for example:

10 year / 100k miles powertrain
5 year / 60k bumper-to-bumper
5 year unlimited mileage roadside assistance

It goes on.

Anyway, GM has recently started offering, I think, 7-year warranties. What I know of GM products tells me that this is extremely optimistic and that it's a sales gimmick that they'll pay for later.

benebob 03-28-2003 02:45 PM

warranties

Are you talking bumper to bumper or just powertrain warranties?

Hyundai/Kia in the US have a 10 year/100,000 powertrain warranty and I think a 4 year 50,000 bumper to bumper. There are terms though on the powertrain being not transferable.

Isuzu for a spell had a 10 year 120,000 mile powertrain warranty but they have dropped it back to a 7 year 70,000 I think from the last commercial I saw.

The standard in the US is about 3 years 36,000 miles for bumper to bumper, 5 year 60,000 miles for a powertrain although most manufacturers have been creeping up their warranties in recent years and many now include some mantainance for the first couple years (I'll bet they find its actually cheaper later on if they provide the work for free and more people actually get it done).

sfsvx 03-28-2003 02:53 PM

Re: O/T Warranties

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
I am trying to compare warranty terms on different manufacturers around the world. In theory they should all be the same, but I doubt if they are.

In the UK, most manufacturers now have a 3 year warrranty, but Hyundai have recently started to give a 5 year warranty.

Both Hyundai and Kia in the US have a 10-year, 100K-mile powertrain warranty and a 5-year, 60K-mile basic warranty, an effort to overcome the "Korean junk" image.

Audi in the US is 4-year/50K, Ford is 3-year/36K. Due to our federal regulations, there are different warranty periods for corrosion protection, smog controls, and passive restraint systems.

I think most US companies have 3-year/36K.

NomadTW 03-28-2003 03:12 PM

the kia and hyundai warrentees are nontransferable, and that's how they work, most ppl don't keep a vehicle for much longer than 5 yrs, so it doesn't carry over to the next owner

but dodge has the 7 yr specifically 'fully transferable' warrenty they point it out in their adds

sfsvx 03-28-2003 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
the kia and hyundai warrentees are nontransferable
Actually, Hyundai allows transfer of the 5 yr/60K mile warranty to subsequent owners; the 10 yr/100K powertrain warranty isn't transferable.

The powertrain is covered under the 5 yr/60K warranty.