The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just moved to Anchorage, looking for an SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63027)

majeskyb 08-26-2014 12:35 AM

Just moved to Anchorage, looking for an SVX

So the military just moved my family and me to Anchorage, and we arrived yesterday. Prior to us leaving, I sold our Trans Am and Lightning, and Have the GTO up for sale as well. Since we're down to one vehicle, I'm lookimg for a second one and found an SVX that looks nice. I was hoping for some expert advice on it before I contact the seller about purchasing, but it sounds like a good deal. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

'96 Svx for sale in Anchorage

Dburger 08-26-2014 06:55 AM

Re: Just moved to Anchorage, looking for an SVX

Definitely looks like it's worth the price...

Sean486 08-26-2014 07:23 AM

Should be a good deal since it has the 4.44 already and has a rebuilt engine. I would check to see if the CAT removal has caused any CEL code issues and it looks like the windshield is cracked. They can be quite difficult to find, if you are planning to replace it.

svxcess 08-26-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 736138)
t looks like the windshield is cracked. They can be quite difficult to find, if you are planning to replace it.

The 1996 uses bronze windshields are long gone. The only ones available new from Subaru now green/gray.

There are Chinese windshields available, but do not come with the required moldings to seal to the body.

I believe Nate486 still has a used bronze windshield with molding intact.

Would the seller consider getting a new windshield installed and you pay for the deductible?

majeskyb 08-26-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 736140)
The 1996 uses bronze windshields are long gone. The only ones available new from Subaru now green/gray.

There are Chinese windshields available, but do not come with the required moldings to seal to the body.

I believe Nate486 still has a used bronze windshield with molding intact.

Would the seller consider getting a new windshield installed and you pay for the deductible?

He is throwing in a second parts car, so it may come with a good windshield, but it is definitely something I can ask about. Also, I have Florida insurance, so windshield replacements are free. I can also check if the cat is causing a cel.

majeskyb 08-29-2014 06:28 PM

I'm going to keep my eye on it. We're currently buying a house, and as soon as I have an address and a place to store a parts car (current residence is a hotel), I'll be contacting the seller.

majeskyb 11-08-2014 12:53 AM

Just a bump and a quick update. I'm going to call the seller up tomorrow and schedule a time to check it out. Anybody have suggestions on things I should look for or ask about? I'll let you all know how it goes- hopefully I'll have my first SVX within a couple days if everything works out.

Blacky 11-08-2014 04:23 AM

The listing is no longer available. It's been for sale since August so you should be able to negotiate the price quite a bit.
If they use salt on the roads up there, look for rust on the door panels on the edge of the cladding, rear wheel openings and the rear sub-frame. Also the brake and fuel lines tend to rust out.

Good luck.

92snowmachine 11-08-2014 07:25 AM

Make sure the tires are evenly worn or it will chew up the transmission. I would rather buy a subaru with four completely bald tires than four brand new ones.

majeskyb 11-08-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 737230)
The listing is no longer available. It's been for sale since August so you should be able to negotiate the price quite a bit.
If they use salt on the roads up there, look for rust on the door panels on the edge of the cladding, rear wheel openings and the rear sub-frame. Also the brake and fuel lines tend to rust out.

Good luck.

I updated the link to the ad. The seller has been placing a new ad each month and removing the old one. Also for some reason, he saw fit to raise the price to $5,000. I'll make sure I watch out for rust, find out who rebuilt the engine/transmission, and see if there are any codes being thrown. I'll probably start with $4,000 as my initial offer, since it's been for sale for so long, and go from there.

Blacky 11-08-2014 02:53 PM

I would start lower than $4,000.00. Unless it is really low mileage they are not usually worth that much.

majeskyb 11-08-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 737243)
I would start lower than $4,000.00. Unless it is really low mileage they are not usually worth that much.

I think in one of the pictures it looked like 177k miles, but the seller is claiming the engine and transmission was recently rebuilt. That's the reason I was thinking about starting with $4k.

majeskyb 11-09-2014 06:03 PM

And I'm unable to reach the seller. He replied to my first text asking when I could call, but he hasn't answered my phone call or text. Go figure.

bheinen74 11-09-2014 06:15 PM

too bad you didn't snag onto this one.
http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/2943147...hId=1115092480

majeskyb 11-09-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bheinen74 (Post 737277)
too bad you didn't snag onto this one.
http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/2943147...hId=1115092480

That's 100% my fault for not seeing if there was a copart here. I would have needed a drivable one first to make my wife happy. There weren't any bids on it though- I wonder if it'll be relisted.