The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A/c functions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60627)

DiveH 09-27-2012 10:29 PM

A/c functions

I'm pondering losing my a/c system. I never use it and I have no interest in hunting down a Robinair or whatever and recharging it. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I'm not sure about the climate control module/control buttons - will the heat still work without the a/c system? Might be a fairly obvious question, seeing as how pretty much ALL cars can run heat without the a/c system, but the SVX push-button interface is weird and I intend to use the car through the winter. If anyone can clear this up for me, it would be much appreciated. THanks!

icingdeath88 09-28-2012 04:34 AM

Re: A/c functions

Yes, my blue car has been completely without the whole A/C system (the only thing left is the condenser core) for almost 2 years now, and the heater still works. In "auto mode" or "vent mode", with the temp set to to cool, the fans will come on, to at least blow some air.

Conn SVX 09-28-2012 05:13 AM

Well now there is a way our cars are different. No air in Fla? I lost my A/C in May up here and almost died driving it. Cost me $99.00 to fix it.

Blacky 09-28-2012 06:05 AM

The A/C also turns on when defrost is selected to remove moisture from the air which is worth considering in a damp climate like Washington.

icingdeath88 09-28-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 712576)
Well now there is a way our cars are different. No air in Fla? I lost my A/C in May up here and almost died driving it. Cost me $99.00 to fix it.

A/C = maybe 50 lbs of a complicated mess I don't need. Keeps the engine bay clearer, and simpler, and makes it way easier to get to a lot of stuff. Actually, I've cleared out a ton of stuff from the engine bay (one of these days I gotta post pics of what I did with the wiper fluid reservoir :P). The A/C I miss only when driving on really hot days in the summer, the rest of the time it's fine. And on those days I just drive the 97, which does have A/C.

Actually, the only thing I really miss about the A/C is when driving the rain. Windows gotta be up, because rain, so no airflow, and no A/C to dehumidify the air on the way through the vents.

But, again, that's why I have the 2 cars.

DiveH 09-30-2012 05:34 PM

Yeah, I was a little worried about the defrost too...
Thing is, I don't think the system is working properly to begin with so maybe I'll just pull it and hope for the best. The major plus in deleting it is to make space for a tranny cooler. I installed one in my girlfriend's svx, but it was a pain and I NEVER want to have to get it back out. Much easier without the a/c condenser in the way.