The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help! I'm Trapped!! (Stuck Window) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39759)

thumper_svx 07-12-2007 03:30 PM

Help! I'm Trapped!! (Stuck Window)

Well, not really :) My drivers side window has suddenly decided it no longer wants to move. Not a big deal; at this time of year in St. Louis I'd melt without air conditioning... but come the fall I'll want my windows open again.

Basically the situation is thus; my window motor is definitely running, and creating a rhythmic "clicking" sound until I cancel it. Not letting it run long because I don't want to break anything! I've tried operating the switch while trying to loosen the window (pushing and pulling gently), but nothing yet. Doesn't seem to be stuck on the rubber, though it might be stuck at the top around the surround where I can't see it.

Any hints or pointers? If I have to take the door apart I will... but I'll probably go buy new speakers so I can do them while I'm at it. Anyone? Please?

Trevor 07-12-2007 05:35 PM

There is a small attachment clip/bracket which tends to break loose as a common problem. Not a big issue and cheap.

N.B. You have done exactly the correct thing in not running the motor as doing so will tangle up the operating cable.

Do a search, as there has been a lot of info previously posted.

thumper_svx 07-30-2007 01:24 PM

OK, bumped this one because I finally got around to dismantling my door yesterday (I lead a busy life, windows are not a high priority unless my AC fails :) )

Anyway, that's not the problem. The cables are perfectly spooled and aligned, but it looks like the center "drive" part of the pulley is slipping around inside said pulley making a "click" sound.

What do you think? Stripped out pulley? I did it late last night, so just unbolted the motor from the door to check it out, I did not remove it from the car. Would it be easy enough to get a replacement pulley, or just replace the whole assembly?

Ironhydroxide 07-30-2007 01:31 PM

ive got a whole assembly i will sell you. if you decide to go that way, but it may just be a tension release (i don't know to much about the svx interior)

thumper_svx 08-03-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide
ive got a whole assembly i will sell you. if you decide to go that way, but it may just be a tension release (i don't know to much about the svx interior)

I don't know if I'm going to get the opportunity to tear into my SVX this weekend. It's St. Louis and it's August... that means temperatures approaching and occasionally topping 100... so I ain't going outside!

Anyway, PM me and let me know how much you'd part with the assembly for. It might be easier just switching out for a different assembly than spend my time trying to fix what I suspect is a stripped out pulley.