The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Everyone running windows, please read!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13809)

Chicane 10-16-2003 03:52 PM

Everyone running windows, please read!!

Today marks a great day. Today, windows started to not suck as much as it has always sucked before today.

www.apple.com

I suggest you download it immeadiatly and enjoy a slice of the kickass experience of Apple software. It is a superior Mp3 player to winamp in EVERY single way imagineable. Try it. You'll dig it.

- Rob

Mr. Pockets 10-16-2003 04:37 PM

I heard about that...I'll give it a try someday.

Maybe, if iTunes is so awesome, Apple will someday go the route of Sega and just make good sfotware. ;)

Landshark 10-16-2003 04:40 PM

Re: Everyone running windows, please read!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Today marks a great day. Today, windows started to not suck as much as it has always sucked before today.

www.apple.com

I suggest you download it immeadiatly and enjoy a slice of the kickass experience of Apple software. It is a superior Mp3 player to winamp in EVERY single way imagineable. Try it. You'll dig it.

- Rob

what makes it so good? other than playing mp3's, will it cook you breakfast or change your oil? :)

i really don't listen to them on the PC anyway - mostly just the car. ;)

Chicane 10-16-2003 04:46 PM

It's great. Easy to use. Looks nice. you can lump all your music in the library, then just type "Chi" and it'll bring up all your chili pepper music, stuff like that. Seriously, give it a good go, you will not be dissapointed.

- Rob

lee 10-16-2003 06:44 PM

I'm willing to agree Apple makes some good products.

However, MP3 sucks. I've even tried ripping at 320 from original source CDs, and it's pretty obvious that music is stripped on both ends by the compression algorithm - and I don't even come close to having "golden ears".

SubaSteevo 10-16-2003 07:31 PM

I use quintessential player, better than winamp and not made by apple ;) Really though, iTunes is a good program.

Aredubjay 10-16-2003 09:07 PM

I still play vinyl, on a turtable. Why? Because I can. :D

Landshark 10-16-2003 11:35 PM

i use Windows Media Player. :D

if i want to listen to music at home, i burn it to a CD and put it in my stereo system. no, my computer is not networked into my audio system. i have a 300 disc changer, so my audio library is in there. i'm gonna need another changer real soon, though.

Lee, get a Stebro exhaust and you won't know the difference in quality with the MP3's. :D

svx_commuter 10-17-2003 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I still play vinyl, on a turtable. Why? Because I can. :D
I still think a rarely used "vinyl" (no pops) played on a great stystem is better than a CD or MP3. 1/2 speed masterized, Oh Yeah:D

SubaSteevo 10-17-2003 06:28 AM

You're right John. Vinyl has the original analog signal but CD's need to be digitized. When they are digitized some "clipping" occurs to the highest and lowest frequencies. Many of these frequencies cannot be "heard" but their abscence definately changes the "feel" of the music.

svx_commuter 10-17-2003 07:28 AM

Hi Steve :)

I am going to put a turntable in the SVX:D Ha Ha
And then park it.

Does the quality of a CD go down as it is copied and then the copy is copied and then that copy is copied? Do all the CD/computers read and write at the same rate?

Green1995SVX 10-17-2003 08:24 AM

You're right. A good quality record on a top notch shaft-driven turn table is going to give you a more true sound reproduction than a CD or any other Digital Media.

Mike

SubaSteevo 10-17-2003 08:26 AM

It's really about the settings used. If done correctly, copied cd's should not lose any quality. Done correctly=slow burn speed, with no other applications running. When the speed is too fast, the disc will have many imperfections (I have found that anything 8x or less will play in the SVX, anything more will skip). Other applications will take away the memory that cd burning software needs, causing it to skip certain pieces of data. An actual cd recorder (like from a home stereo) should have no loss of quality at all. As far as I know all cd players read at the same rate, but some have stronger/higher quality lasers that will enable them to read better. Just about every cd-rom/dvd-rom/cd-rw drive will have different speeds, but it has no real effect besides how fast things load (as far as I know of).

P.S. A turntable in the SVX would be sweet.

mohrds 10-17-2003 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
It's great. Easy to use. Looks nice. you can lump all your music in the library, then just type "Chi" and it'll bring up all your chili pepper music, stuff like that. Seriously, give it a good go, you will not be disappointed.

- Rob

Winamp has had that letter search feature for years.

There are no voice command plugins for apple's player, there are plugins for winamp.

Moving a mouse and typing keys, how archaic.

Ask Earl and Lwin, they've seen the voice controlled home automation and AV control system I have running.

I just added a HDTV Tuner and PVR with DVD writing. I can record two HDTV shows simultaneously and watch a third. Plus it is all voice controlled :D

Only thirty minutes of HD 1080i fit on a 4.7GB DVD :eek:

Doug

Landshark 10-17-2003 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
You're right. A good quality record on a top notch shaft-driven turn table is going to give you a more true sound reproduction than a CD or any other Digital Media.

Mike

maybe once or twice. :D then its 'snap, crackle, pop'!

check out SACD (super audio CD) or DVD audio for better quality.