The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Happy Birthday to Me!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12468)

mohrds 08-06-2003 05:58 PM

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

I have added two new basses to the herd. From Left to Right:

http://www.Think-IT-Group.com/clients/P002234.jpg

1988 Ibanez Ex - The first new Bass I ever bought.
1994 Vantage 34" Neck-Through - Two octave, great feel

New additions:

1989 Peavey Midibass - The Edsel of the Bass world. It was designed with a MIDI synthesizer built into it. A failure of SVX Marketing proportions!

The latest and possibly the Greatest:
1985 Phillip Kubicki 34" Factor Bass - The 30th Factor made by the world renowned bass designer, Phillip Kubicki. This Bass is so perfect that after shipping from CA to Wisconsin over 7 days, the bass is still perfectly in tune...

I'm so happy :D

Doug

lee 08-06-2003 06:30 PM

According to your profile your birthday was about two weeks ago. :confused:

Not that I would ever want to get between a man and his toys - god knows I couldn't stand the scrutiny...;)

Looks good :cool: :cool: :cool:

mohrds 08-06-2003 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
According to your profile your birthday was about two weeks ago. :confused:

Not that I would ever want to get between a man and his toys - god knows I couldn't stand the scrutiny...;)

Looks good :cool: :cool: :cool:

I bought them before my birthday. I received the Midibass last week and the Factor today.

Doug

Landshark 08-06-2003 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cool! i was wondering if there were any musicians on here (playing with turntables doesn't make you a musician ;) ) here's some of my toys - the 7-string B.C. Rich kicks ass! :cool:

mohrds 08-06-2003 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
cool! i was wondering if there were any musicians on here (playing with turntables doesn't make you a musician ;) ) here's some of my toys - the 7-string B.C. Rich kicks ass! :cool:
Those are sweet! How long you been playing? I've been playing bass for about 25 years.

Doug

lee 08-06-2003 07:32 PM

Doug,

a friend from many years ago played bass for Chuck Berry, but retired from the road, then went back on the road running the board at concerts for Heil Sound out of IL. I have always liked music, but seem to have a hard time playing the radio, much less an instrument (one of those can't walk & chew gum at the same time kinda guys).

Not sure why I put that in (gettin old I guess), what I'm really posting for is your opinion of some good bass artists. I always try to ask experienced musicians for their opinion so I can stretch my listening a bit. As a baseline of styles, my last two CDs were Norah Jones and an old J.J. Cale recording.

mohrds 08-06-2003 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
what I'm really posting for is your opinion of some good bass artists. I always try to ask experienced musicians for their opinion so I can stretch my listening a bit. As a baseline of styles, my last two CDs were Norah Jones and an old J.J. Cale recording.
I have a really odd mix of Bass player idols. Billy Sheean is probably first on my list. Others include John Taylor from Duran Duran, Mark O'Toole from Frankie goes to Hollywood, Brian Richie, Violent Femmes, and Matt Freeman from Rancid.

If I took more time, I could think of more, but those are the main ones.

Doug

Landshark 08-06-2003 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

Those are sweet! How long you been playing? I've been playing bass for about 25 years.

Doug

i guess about 19 years. some of my favorite bass players are Flea, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Robert Trujillo, and Les Claypool. guitarists would be Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Scott Ian, Jimmy Page....

BTW, i always thought those Kubicki Factor basses were the shizznit! good score! my dream toy is a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier stack, but i'd need to hit Powerball first to justify blowing that much money on it. :(

LarryIII 08-07-2003 04:22 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG.

PS: Does playing the bongos make me a musician?:confused:

mohrds 08-07-2003 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG.

PS: Does playing the bongos make me a musician?:confused:

I guess that depends on your definition of "bongos" :D

ensteele 08-07-2003 11:06 AM

Larry III

Stop playing with those! :eek: :eek: :D :D

Happy Birthday Doug! :)

SHISVX 08-07-2003 01:05 PM

Happy Birthday Doug and no you can't play with my bongos!

Kelli :D

mohrds 08-07-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
Happy Birthday Doug and no you can't play with my bongos!

Kelli :D

Great... I leave one little bruise and off limits they go :eek:

SHISVX 08-07-2003 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

Great... I leave one little bruise and off limits they go :eek:

you dirty little ol' man...:p wait till i tell your enforcer...yous in big trouble mister

MNYPNNY 08-07-2003 08:40 PM

You can play with my bongos...... :D

Yet seriously.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUG!!!!!!

And can I throw in my one choice for excellent bass? The bass player for Creed..... I don't know his name, sorry......

~~Michelle