The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is this random hose hanging in my engine bay? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57910)

fun173 07-24-2011 03:22 PM

What is this random hose hanging in my engine bay?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

I opened up my hood to start cleaning the Manifold a bit then I saw a hose hanging randomly off the circular black tube next to the radiator. I have no idea what the heck this thing is. I have never seen it before. Any one know what it is or where it is supposed to be. It is attached to the bottom of the black circular thing. Check out the pictures to see what I'm talking about.

First Pic: This is what I saw when I opened the hood. It was just hanging down there

Second Pic: The yellow circle shows the top of the hose (I pulled it up to get a better look at it when I was it) The second yellow circle shows where the hose was connected to.

Let me know if you need any more pics.

The car is running fine except for my horrific idle.......

pearlm30 07-24-2011 04:29 PM

Re: What is this random hose hanging in my engine bay?

Looks to me like the hose from buttom of the carbon canister to the frame just below the air filter box.
This should not affect your idle.

icingdeath88 07-24-2011 04:30 PM

That line vents the charcoal canister to atmosphere. The one in my blue car ended in the passenger fender well. Search "charcoal canister" to learn more about it.

svxcess 07-24-2011 05:33 PM

Its just a vent hose.

The next time you have the car on a lift, Look for a hole in the passenger side frame in the engine bay where the end would plug into. You will get a general idea where it is from the length of the hose.

kwren 07-24-2011 07:26 PM

I think if you simply raise the charcoal canister up a little, you will see where it is supposed to be plugged in...

Keith:cool:

Huskymaniac 07-24-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 682545)
Its just a vent hose.

The next time you have the car on a lift, Look for a hole in the passenger side frame in the engine bay where the end would plug into. You will get a general idea where it is from the length of the hose.

This is the best advice. If you grab the open end of that hose and move it around the passenger side of the frame you will stumble on a grommet that it plugs into.

oab_au 07-25-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 682554)
This is the best advice. If you grab the open end of that hose and move it around the passenger side of the frame you will stumble on a grommet that it plugs into.

The best advice was in the second post,

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlm30 (Post 682541)
Looks to me like the hose from buttom of the carbon canister to the frame just below the air filter box.
This should not affect your idle.

What do you reckon?:)

Harvey.

Earthworm 07-25-2011 12:01 PM

Is that hose supposed to be that long?

Huskymaniac 07-25-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm (Post 682597)
Is that hose supposed to be that long?

For some of us...YES!!!:lol:

icingdeath88 07-25-2011 01:27 PM

The one on my '92 was significantly shorter than the one on my '94. The '92 it just went into the frame, while the '94 it went through the frame into the fender area and vented there.

Earthworm 07-25-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 682602)
For some of us...YES!!!:lol:

Looks like that one almost touches the ground! :eek: