The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driver's window auto up & Down (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39162)

JIMSVX 05-30-2007 08:35 PM

Driver's window auto up & Down

I need to start troubleshooting my driver's window switching. My auto-up works most of the time, but the auto-down doesn't work at all. Can anyone explain to me how this function is implemented on the SVX? Is it done in the driver's door switch assembly, or is it in a circuit located somewhere else?

Thanks

ensteele 05-30-2007 09:48 PM

It is done in the switch itself. If you change the cluster to a different one that is from a later model, it will not have the auto feature in it. :)

JIMSVX 05-30-2007 09:54 PM

Thanks Earl.

Now my second question, has anyone successfully repaired the switch assembly? I have searched, but found nothing.

Suby Fan 05-30-2007 10:16 PM

im pretty sure no one has... i guess it just hasnt buged people enough to fix it

ensteele 05-30-2007 10:36 PM

If you mean repair the switch if it is broken, someone has. They are no longer here, but they figured out how to do it. I don't know how, because they would not share the secret. They were fixing them and charging for the repairs. :o I have a couple that are broken and I have not had a chance to try the fix yet. :)

JIMSVX 05-30-2007 10:51 PM

Well, I guess I'll give it a try. I have to tear my doors open to install new speakers and clean the window felt pads. So in the process I'll see what the switches look like. At least I know they have been repaired, so it is possible.

Thanks!

SSSVX 05-30-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
It is done in the switch itself. If you change the cluster to a different one that is from a later model, it will not have the auto feature in it. :)

It will still have the auto down feature but no auto up after 94....!? :) Am I correct? :)

dcarrb 05-31-2007 05:57 AM

A new '92 master switch does still have auto up/down (I just installed one Saturday), which seems a bit surprising if they dropped the auto-up after '94. Auto-up was a safety issue, to be sure, especially for kids.

Curiously, the pivot points on all my switches were broken, EXCEPT the driver's. One would think it the other way around.

dcb

Earthworm 06-12-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Curiously, the pivot points on all my switches were broken, EXCEPT the driver's. One would think it the other way around.

The driver was the only one smart enough not to apply too much pressure to the switch. (Either that or it was already replaced)

ensteele 06-13-2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
A new '92 master switch does still have auto up/down (I just installed one Saturday), which seems a bit surprising if they dropped the auto-up after '94. Auto-up was a safety issue, to be sure, especially for kids.

dcb

I think that the 92 and 93 years were the only ones with the auto feature. :)

shelfy 06-13-2007 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I think that the 92 and 93 years were the only ones with the auto feature. :)

my 97 has auto-down. :confused:

shelfy 06-13-2007 06:16 AM

more importantly, neither auto-up or auto-down work in the 92. :mad:

It's Just Eric 06-13-2007 03:51 PM

92-93 had auto up and down. 94+ had auto down only

Earl...Either you're wrong, or every one of your window switches is broke:o

JaySVX 06-14-2007 05:38 AM

I repaired the assembly in my 94, it was actually quite easy/simple. 99% of the time it's the holder. The key test is if you remove the switch(top part), you see two little white buttons. If they still function properly, i can show you how to easily repair it. If not, i'll see if i can tear mine appart this weekend to see how it works. Let me know on those two white switches, and be aware that the rear window switches in the driver's console are different than the front, for some odd reason. The 4 switches have a different setup, and mounting, so it depends on which one you would like to repair on how you go about it.

dcarrb 06-14-2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
The driver was the only one smart enough not to apply too much pressure to the switch. (Either that or it was already replaced)

No; I meant, of the four switches in the driver's door master unit, the driver's was the only switch that wasn't broken. That struck me as the opposite of what would be expected wear. Or come to think of it, maybe the auto up/down feature takes credit, as it works with just a click while the other switches require constant pressure.

dcb