The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   European Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dip stick is popping up (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55558)

DJW svx 09-22-2010 02:49 PM

Dip stick is popping up

In conversation with Joe at the week-end it was mentioned that if the PCV valve (not sure if I've got that right) has gone if your dipstick pops up, well I had noticed in the past that mine had. So yesterday I gave the car a fast run and guess what my dipstick had popped up so I have this problem can anyone advise please.

1986nate 09-22-2010 02:59 PM

Re: Dip stick is popping up

Try the "O"-ring on the dipstick first. If that doesn't fix it, then yes, your PCV will need to be replaced.:)

svxistentialist 09-22-2010 03:00 PM

Hi David

This is dealt with and explained in the How To documents at the top of your page on the right. It is listed under Maintenance, though you could make a case that it should be under Engine. [Or maybe both :rolleyes:]

Here is a link to the PDF

It is a simple thing to fix, other than it is in a bad place and requires some "keyhole surgery" :D The leaflet explains it all very well and what you need.

Joe :)

svxistentialist 09-22-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 658518)
Try the "O"-ring on the dipstick first. If that doesn't fix it, then yes, your PCV will need to be replaced.:)

Yeah, we mentioned that at the meet Nate.

I'm not a fan of it as much more than a temporary cure though, the "O" ring I mean. I can't shake the feeling that if your crankcase is under that much pressure, this pressure could be a cause of forcing oil through the front engine seals and the cam cover gaskets. You know the ones I mean, the leaks that keep dripping on the exhaust.

To me it would seem to be better to keep the crankcase pressure at a reasonable level rather than just masking a symptom such as the dipstick popping.

1986nate 09-22-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 658520)

I'm not a fan of it as much more than a temporary cure though, the "O" ring I mean. I can't shake the feeling that if your crankcase is under that much pressure, this pressure could be a cause of forcing oil through the front engine seals and the cam cover gaskets. You know the ones I mean, the leaks that keep dripping on the exhaust.

To me it would seem to be better to keep the crankcase pressure at a reasonable level rather than just masking a symptom such as the dipstick popping.

Yes, very true. I just got my silver back on the road and it has had issues since shortly after I bought it of the dipstick popping up as well as oil leaks from everywhere. Upon putting in a transmission, I noticed a lot of oil on the intake snorkel so it appears as though I should really do this before the car gets put away for the winter months here. Who knows, maybe it will help all the other leaks.:rolleyes:

svxistentialist 09-22-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 658524)
Yes, very true. I just got my silver back on the road and it has had issues since shortly after I bought it of the dipstick popping up as well as oil leaks from everywhere. Upon putting in a transmission, I noticed a lot of oil on the intake snorkel so it appears as though I should really do this before the car gets put away for the winter months here. Who knows, maybe it will help all the other leaks.:rolleyes:

Can't hurt? :rolleyes:

:)

oab_au 09-22-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 658520)

It is not only the PCV valve, but the cam cover breathers that run to the air duct. as I posted here .
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=15
Oil in the air duct and right back to the filter element, is a sure sign that the passages in the air duct are restricted.

Harvey.

DJW svx 09-23-2010 12:29 AM

Thanks for that, I thought it had done it before and I now know it has so I'll go about it.

DJW svx 09-23-2010 12:12 PM

Just a quick one is it a standard Subaru part you can buy from a Subaru agent.

Sean486 09-23-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 658530)
It is not only the PCV valve, but the cam cover breathers that run to the air duct. as I posted here .
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=15
Oil in the air duct and right back to the filter element, is a sure sign that the passages in the air duct are restricted.

Harvey.

Out of curiousity, how would one correct this condition Harvey?

Cam 09-23-2010 02:19 PM

I realize that question was asked to harvey, but you would need to replace the lines and breather gaskets. Clean the breathers before reinstallation.

Beav 09-23-2010 02:48 PM

You might quit dropping those little blue pills in the gas tank and driving past Hooters. :D

Sean486 09-23-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 658602)
I realize that question was asked to harvey, but you would need to replace the lines and breather gaskets. Clean the breathers before reinstallation.

I don't really know what all that means. (Sorry I am kind of dumb about engines) :o I guess what I am curious about is; whether it is a very difficult or very expensive repair, or is it something relatively easy to have done.

You know, how accessible are they, how much of the engine has to be disassembled to get those lines and gaskets.

oab_au 09-23-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav (Post 658605)
You might quit dropping those little blue pills in the gas tank and driving past Hooters. :D

Beav, I don't think THAT was the stick he was worried about. :D

Harvey.

oab_au 09-23-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 658606)
I don't really know what all that means. (Sorry I am kind of dumb about engines) :o I guess what I am curious about is; whether it is a very difficult or very expensive repair, or is it something relatively easy to have done.

You know, how accessible are they, how much of the engine has to be disassembled to get those lines and gaskets.

Sean all these passages are in the 'air duct/box' that connects to the throttle bodies. You will see where the two breather hoses from the cam covers plug into the sides of the air box, they both end up going through the small elbow pipe on the right hand side of the air box, to the air delivery pipe. They need to be cleaned out.

Harvey.