The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dad's '94 bit the dust... again (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10393)

jrollins 04-29-2003 06:55 PM

Dad's '94 bit the dust... again

Well, I don't know what's up with the darn thing. We finally fixed the problem of it eating belts right and left, and now it left me on the side of the road again.

Well, here's the story... Drove it through town tonight... Everything was going good. Then I start to hear a very quiet "ticking" sound. It was like a very rapid pluse. Then out of nowhere I smell stuff a burning. It smelled like rubber burning, and I thought, "there goes another belt..." but when I opened the hood smoke started pouring out.

I checked both acc belts and they're fine. The smoke was coming from below them. I started it back up and tried to move it out of the road. When I pulled into a spot the thing quit.

It will turn over but not start, so I don't think it's shorting out anywhere. My first thought was the Timing belt. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have one break on them? What did it do? It was to dark where i had it to check the timing belt.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,

-Rollins

Porter 04-29-2003 07:28 PM

It's a non-interference motor, so even if a timing belt broke the motor should be fine. If it is the timing belt, it just needs a new belt and a tuneup, which is not quite as simple as it sounds. ;)

Hopefully that's the only trouble!

jrollins 04-29-2003 07:39 PM

yeah... I needed to mention as well I think there was/is 90k on that timeing belt. (as far as I know it was never changed) so it's looking more towards that. I have a timing belt that I bought for mine here, but the car's far away from a trustworthy grease monkey... I think we should just buy a rollback.. :)

gl1674 04-29-2003 11:50 PM

Broken timing belt gives you check-engine light after approximately 3 seconds of cranking and code 13 (camshaft position sensor).
It is easier to check the engine code than to pull covers to see the timing belt...

GreenMarine 04-30-2003 10:04 AM

So smoke was comming out huh??? Was it running rough at all with that little ticking sound?? Normally I would think that that ticking sound is either a vaccume line or low oil pressure... But the smoke...... That's strange.... And it was comming from under the car??? Front, Back, Left, or Right of the engine????

oab_au 04-30-2003 04:56 PM

[COLOR=darkblue]"SMOKE ON THE WATER"[/COLOR]

Sounds like the water pump has seized.
Harvey.;)

Earthworm 05-02-2003 05:21 PM

really doesn't sound like a timing belt!!

Can the crank pulley separate on those engines just like the SVX?

Green1995SVX 05-02-2003 06:39 PM

I agree regarding the seized water pump.

Mike