The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Dad's in the hospital (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34871)

Dza 08-23-2006 10:41 PM

Dad's in the hospital

I just got a call from my mom. My dad came home from work today for lunch complaining about an upset stomach. When he went back to work, he was violently ill and started puking up blood. He lost so much blood that he passed out. An ambulance had to come take him to the hospital and he couldn't even sit up without passing out because his blood pressure was so low.

The cardiologist spent many hours testing him and it turns out the ticker is OK, but there is internal bleeding that they haven't been able to narrow down yet. He's on blood transfusion to get the pressure back up, then they're going to test him (tube down the throat, etc) overnight and diagnose what is wrong. I hope he's ok...

I love you, Dad. I wish I wasn't so far away.

braaap11889 08-23-2006 10:50 PM

alcohol poisoning (sick, blood in puke, passing out, ticker ok)

Sounds like everynight of my summer so far

Feeling sick then puking up blood passing out overnight in hospital litterally every party I have had or been to almost every night this summer those same things happen

What was his blood alcohol content?

Dza 08-23-2006 10:51 PM

He quit drinking 20 years ago, and was at work today. BAC 0%

NeedForSpeed 08-23-2006 11:22 PM

Meds for arthritis and aspirin cause intestinal bleeding? On any meds?

subi-crosser 08-23-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dza
I just got a call from my mom. My dad came home from work today for lunch complaining about an upset stomach. When he went back to work, he was violently ill and started puking up blood. He lost so much blood that he passed out. An ambulance had to come take him to the hospital and he couldn't even sit up without passing out because his blood pressure was so low.

The cardiologist spent many hours testing him and it turns out the ticker is OK, but there is internal bleeding that they haven't been able to narrow down yet. He's on blood transfusion to get the pressure back up, then they're going to test him (tube down the throat, etc) overnight and diagnose what is wrong. I hope he's ok...

I love you, Dad. I wish I wasn't so far away.

I had a similar experience when a dr gave me VIOXX. ( not as severe though).

BEWARE!!! Meds can KILL!!! Read the papers that the druggist gives you!! ( it CAN save your life!! A drug called NALFON almost killed my dad 20 years ago. ( anti- inflamitorey drug), one of the warnings said, " May cause fatal bleeding". DUHHH!!! Warning sign here!!! I wish you and him the best!! My Dad was my best friend, and I lost him 1-16-2005.
I still have a hard time visiting the home place, cause he's not there!

Jerry

SilverSpear 08-23-2006 11:57 PM

Man I am sorry to hear about your dad. I dunno if I can conclude about the Ulcer (maybe a severe kind???)...
Hope it doesn't get passed an Ulcer... and your dad gets well very soon. :o

thundering02 08-24-2006 01:17 AM

Hopeing for the best.

DanSVX94 08-24-2006 07:45 AM

I hope your dad gets better soon.

lhopp77 08-24-2006 07:56 AM

Ulcer

He has a bleeding ulcer and maybe more than one. I know by first hand experience. Another contributor can be a condition in the esophagus called "Barretts Esophagus" caused by years of reflux disease. Sorry to hear it and hope he responds to treatment. Aspirin can definitely aggravate the condition even if it does not cause it.

Lee

Dza 08-24-2006 08:24 AM

Ya, the GI guy figures it's multiple bleeding ulcers. Good times. It's still kinda major, but at least it's not life-threatening as far as I know.

lhopp77 08-24-2006 08:33 AM

Major

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dza
Ya, the GI guy figures it's multiple bleeding ulcers. Good times. It's still kinda major, but at least it's not life-threatening as far as I know.

It is definitely major and could have been life threatening if they didn't get some blood in him in a hurry. When your blood pressure barely registers and your veins are essentially empty of blood---you are in a bind. Just hope he has a good GI doctor. Maybe they will go in and take some pictures of the area--EsophagoGastroDuodenoscopy or something like that.

Lee

Earthworm 08-24-2006 10:59 AM

Yikes, hope he recovers fast!

subiedo 08-24-2006 12:15 PM

No question about it, bleeding ulcers can kill ya. We lost a family member at age 41 to this condition. Hope your dad makes a speedy recovery & the Dr's. help alleviate this.

sorceror 08-24-2006 01:48 PM

Yes bleeding ulcers can be deadly. I lost my favorite uncle to one or maybe several, he was only 44 years old. This was a while back and he would have martini's after work, eat rich foods etc ...

I hope your father gets out of there soon. I hope he begins to recover rapidly.

I hope he follows his doctors orders and the diet prescribed as well.

Best wishes.

Chiketkd 08-24-2006 05:47 PM

Hope your dad gets well soon. :)