The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Clear corners and headlights... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41901)

Guyver280z 11-16-2007 02:54 PM

Clear corners and headlights...

I want to buy this kit... SmallCar sells them trough ebay... is it a good buy?? Or should I go and buy straight from Small Car... Is he reliable and honest??

Manarius 11-16-2007 03:32 PM

As I recall, the SmallCar lights aren't really that good. They're poorly put together and don't do a very good job at aligning the beam on the headlight. The clear corners are just JDM, so that doesn't really matter.

Landshark 11-16-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 509179)
As I recall, the SmallCar lights aren't really that good. They're poorly put together and don't do a very good job at aligning the beam on the headlight. The clear corners are just JDM, so that doesn't really matter.

the projector lens determines the beam, not the clear cover. if you look at the lowbeam projector, there is a clear space in front of it on the *stock* headlight. with the headlights turned on, a rectangular pattern is projected onto the clear plastic from the projector.

Guyver280z, i think the smallcar kit was great, if you have a steady hand and can use a Dremel. along with clear corners, they definitely give the SVX an updated look.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...hark/26987.JPG

94SubieSVX 11-16-2007 10:44 PM

That pic gets me every time I see it:rolleyes:

Manarius 11-16-2007 10:47 PM

I distinctly recall Hocrest advising people not to get them...

redsvx 11-16-2007 10:52 PM

It depends who installs them and how careful you are :)

Landshark 11-16-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 509237)
I distinctly recall Hocrest advising people not to get them...

i had 'em, and i'd get 'em again.

i don't think the install is for everyone, though. not hard to screw up ur headlights. if your careful and tape off a line to follow with the cutting wheel its not too bad. i screwed up the first one i did a little, but luckily you could barely notice since it was a black car. i sure i'm the only one who ever knew it was a little uneven. i used "guide tape" on the second one. :lol:

solarsvx 11-17-2007 06:35 AM

i have them and they look great

IMO it is a lot of money for some cheap plastic !! but us svx owners have no other choice

as for the clear corners they are difficult and leaks

CorSVXette 11-17-2007 08:19 AM

Why not buy them from mbtoloczko. I believe he gets them from Japan.

ensteele 11-17-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 509173)
... Is he reliable and honest??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SubaRyu 11-19-2007 12:12 AM

They look great. Like some of us saying here, it's not easy install. Needs cutting, smoothing before install the lens. I have few photos when I was working on it.
Cutting
Smoothed Edge
Old Lens
Installed

Of course.. the original light unit wasn't designed for the clear lens so the fog light and high beam lights won't spread evenly after installed. I hardly use fog or hi-beam, so it won't affect me so much though. No problem with lo-beam.

siceclipse 11-19-2007 01:34 AM

if i buy that 92 I really want to do this

but i dunno

Its a lot of money just for clear lenses that you install by hacking up your OEM light cover.

I would actually feel safer sanding the **** outta the lens to clean it up.

Guyver280z 11-20-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 509283)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

?????? :confused: ?????? Can you be more specific please???

So... I have to hack my original lightcovers?? I tought it was a complete cover.... damn... does the kit comes with the glue???

So.... if smallcar is not reliable... where can I get them??? I deffinetly want the clear look on both headlights and corners.... :confused: What should I do?? Im very handy with tools.... but Im not sure about how precise I am... :lol:

processengr 11-20-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 510055)
?????? :confused: ?????? Can you be more specific please???

So... I have to hack my original lightcovers?? I tought it was a complete cover.... damn... does the kit comes with the glue???

So.... if smallcar is not reliable... where can I get them??? I deffinetly want the clear look on both headlights and corners.... :confused: What should I do?? Im very handy with tools.... but Im not sure about how precise I am... :lol:

Hi,
I installed the headlight covers on my 97, and am content with them. I have found smallcar performance reliable. OTOH, I rarely drive the 97, so I don't know if they leak, scratch easily, etc. The glue comes with them, as well as shims to install in the leveling indicators for the high beams. The fogs won't work as fogs with the clear covers, as the fluting in the original cover directs the pattern for the foglamps (not the main projector beams)
On the smallcar website are the installation instructions, read through them before buying.
I have read many negative comments on the corners. They have been redesigned to a 2nd generation that hopefully fits better. I have yet to see any comment anywhere on the 2nd generation clear corners.

jman050 11-20-2007 11:24 AM

i have the small car clear lenses and jdm corners and i love both of them. Its easy to install with a dremel if you take your time

HERE INSTALLED