The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Is a 08 STi exhaust a possible upgrade for the SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42393)

LiquidForce 12-18-2007 10:29 AM

Is a 08 STi exhaust a possible upgrade for the SVX?

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to see if the new STi exhaust would fit a SVX. These things should be selling for real cheap once people start upgrading their STi's.

Manarius 12-18-2007 11:32 AM

Probably would be rather difficult to make fit.

SubaSteevo 12-18-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidForce (Post 516099)
I was wondering if anyone had a chance to see if the new STi exhaust would fit a SVX. These things should be selling for real cheap once people start upgrading their STi's.

Short answer: no

Long answer: you can make just about anything fit for enough money

Speedklix 12-18-2007 04:53 PM

it'll fit one of my legacy quite nice with minor mods :D

SilverSpear 12-18-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 516173)
it'll fit one of my legacy quite nice with minor mods :D

This is an SVX forum man, let us stick to it :p:p:p

Otherwise I can fit the 08's in my dad's Jeep or my sister's BMW or in my Nissan's :p:p:p

NikFu S. 12-18-2007 05:48 PM

I will give you the best answer possible.

The STI exhaust is not tuned to work with the SVX.

That is all you need to know.

sicksubie 12-18-2007 07:04 PM

Even if you were given a STi exhaust for free it would be a dumb idea to try it on an svx.... Period...

LiquidForce 12-18-2007 08:51 PM

Well I saw this thread and thought it looked very similar and might be worth checking out.

Not sure how it could be any worse for performance than the stock SVX unit considering the STi makes 75 more hp in stock form.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte....thumbnail.jpg

Crazy_pilot 12-18-2007 08:57 PM

Yeeeouch....

By exhaust do you mean front to back all pipes and mufflers, or just the muffler? If you look under a new Subaru, you'll see that the exhaust system is totally different from ours. The muffler might be a similar shape, but the rest is completely different.

LiquidForce 12-18-2007 08:58 PM

I meant just the muffler.

sicksubie 12-18-2007 09:07 PM

it makes 75 more hp...... :woo: profound....

It is built with newer technology AND is turbocharged......:rolleyes:

Crazy_pilot 12-18-2007 09:12 PM

I'm sure you could make it work, if you wanted to invest the money/time. A new 08 muffler can't be cheap:eek:

Personally, I would rather find a suitable aftermarket muffler. You could probably build most of a custom system for the price of the '08 muffler, and get as good/better results.

I had the idea a while ago of trying a Mazda RX-8 muffler, because it looks very much like the stock SVX one, but why? An OEM one wouldn't do me any more good than my stock part, and the aftermarket ones are $600-$1000.

YourConfused 12-18-2007 09:14 PM

This now has me wondering a bit. How does the volume of exhaust from the 2.5 at full boost (10-12psi?) compare to the volume of air exiting the 3.3? Are they similar in this fashion, cfm wise? Maybe that muffler wouldn't be a bad experiment after all.

Crazy_pilot 12-18-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 516263)
This now has me wondering a bit. How does the volume of exhaust from the 2.5 at full boost (10-12psi?) compare to the volume of air exiting the 3.3? Are they similar in this fashion, cfm wise? Maybe that muffler wouldn't be a bad experiment after all.

The muffler alone wouldn't really do much for performance. The stock pre-cat pipes off the headers are pretty tight. It would be like putting a firehose nozzle on a garden hose. Outlet size doesn't matter if there's restriction earlier in the line.

LiquidForce 12-18-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 516261)
I'm sure you could make it work, if you wanted to invest the money/time. A new 08 muffler can't be cheap:eek:

I wouldn't buy a new one but soon used ones will be available for a very reasonable price once people start upgrading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 516260)
it makes 75 more hp...... :woo: profound....

It is built with newer technology AND is turbocharged......:rolleyes:

All I asked is if it would be a potential option to the limited options available for an SVX. I then get some comment that it isn't tuned for an SVX so I bring up that it is tuned for a car that makes more power.

Maybe the newer technology will flow better than the one designed 13 years ago that is on my car. If it can flow enough for an STi it will flow enough for a NA SVX