The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Starts when she feels like it (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47924)

Johnybeas 12-20-2008 10:08 AM

Starts when she feels like it

Well, so my SVX has an attitude lately, and she's been starting sometimes and not starting other times, more specifically just when I need it to, aka when I'm far from home.

I took it into a local full service shop they ran a full diagnostic and found nothing wrong they cleaned up wires and checked to make sure connections were good, and it started for them hundreds of times but just once it wouldn't start. They didn't charge me anything because they weren't sure if they had fixed anything. They were just as confused as me.

It ran great last night for most the night then died at my house, won't take a charge from a battery charger and won't take a jump from anyone not even the tow truck. Now it's on it's way to the dealer. But since it's a 5 speed they are gonna blame the fact that it doesn't have the stock transition or wiring harness like before. I'm gonna do my best to talk with them, and explain that the swap has been done numerous times.

Any one had a similar problem and can offer any solutions, or easy ways to talk with the dealers?

redlightningsvx 12-20-2008 10:53 AM

Re: Starts when she feels like it

Bad battery maybe?

Manarius 12-20-2008 06:17 PM

Solenoid Contacts shot?

RojoRocket 12-20-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnybeas (Post 577984)

.... won't take a charge from a battery charger and won't take a jump from anyone not even the tow truck.

Johnny, please expand on these 2 statements. I assume you mean charging or jumping it makes no difference? Does the starter click, grind, nothing? I had a similar problem with my '93, with the starter doing absolutely nada 1-50 times b4 finally agreeing to start. Replaced starter, and ignition switch with good results for a few days, then nada. My guy finally spliced a wire into the ignition to bypass the neutral safety switch and I never (until the death of my car) had another problem. There are numerous threads on this subject, and you could be reading well into the night hearing all the frustration as owners struggle with it. :confused::confused::confused:

Glenn

kwren 12-21-2008 01:50 AM

Maybe another candidate for the Bosch relay mod.

The nuteral switch thing only works when it is the problem.

Both my SVX's developed the same erratic starting problem and after month of testing and frustration, the bosch relay changed my life! Thousands of starts later and everyone has been a faster start that it ever started before the Bosch relay!

Best to test it but that has to be done while it is failing to start.

Do your radiator fans come on when it fails to start?

This would be totally unrelated to the temperature of the coolant?

Hope it gets worked out soon!

Keith:)

Johnybeas 03-19-2009 08:04 AM

hate to dig up old crap but thought I'd answer what was wrong.

There was a short in the wiring for the NSS bipass from the 5spd conversion because I didn't protect my wires well enough from nasty utah winter roads and weather.

all it took was some re soldering and shrink wrapping and the connection was solid, no more problems.

My advice for anyone doing the 5spd conversion make sure your wires are done well and kept protected especially if you're in an area where they have rough winters!! :)

Szalkerous 03-19-2009 09:28 AM

Thanks for the follow up!